Paid News Content Strategy: Good or Risky?

With 'The Times' and 'Sunday Times' announcing that the users will have to shell out money to access their content (£1 for a day's access and £2 for a week's subscription), many critiques are saying that its a bad & risky strategy.

When so much of news content is available on the Internet for free, do you think this move by these two leading newspapers (owned by Rupert Murdoch) is risky? Murdoch has been blaming Google for long time and mentions that his newspaper sites get less than 25% traffic directly from various search engines. We must not forget that the news sites enjoy lot of viewership!

What's your point of view?

Replies

• Vega
    Vega
    I think this will reduce their viewer base. because of money as well as tediousness. and especially when there are competetive news content available online. The online world is leaning towards offering things for free (or less price) and earn on advertisements.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I remember someone pointing out the trust factor. Paid content is thought to be trustworthy 😉 . I'd personally trust coverage by the times more trustworthy than a tweet.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    yes, the trust factor is something important.
    u see , among businessman and professionals, such news sites are more popular than social networking or even google. They would rather dish out a small amount of money(for them) and get 'quality' (trust factor?) news at one standard loaction rather than keep Googling some random reporting by others. Times group is a brand name when it comes to news business and thats what will get the loyalists back to them

same applies to many of us. For eg, I see atleast 15 different news papers in my neighbourhood news stall but I always buy The Times of India. Not that others are not good, just that it has become a brand name for me in the news business and that it had a solid reputation, probably better than anyone else.

And even if Times gets less hits from visitors to their sites due to this charging scheme, they can charge more from their advertisers. So in the end it doesnt truly matter much for them as their main market is still with the traditional newspapers.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Those who pay for the newspaper (print edition) won't mind paying for the online edition. That's what I think.
  • gohm
    gohm
    I agree, the notion that everything on the internet must be free is something we need to change our view on. The news agencies will have overhead costs for producing the news provided on the internet no different than print or TV. I'd rather pay a small fee or subscription for good quality news then have it provided to me free because of advertising revenue. As the end user of the news, if I help support the service not only can I eliminate advertising influencing the news but also provide feedback on what news is important to me.
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Will those who pay to view the newspaper online also see advertisements there?

I think factual things are destined to be free on the web. Fictional things like movies and music will not be!
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    In my opinion, thats a risky strategy, very less proportion of public will like to pay for it inspite of being reliable. Majority of them likes free service thats the big reason why people use internet. In business world, we don't deal with good or bad, but we deal with captivating offers though there are level of ethical codes that everyone has to follow.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    tashirosgt
    Will those who pay to view the newspaper online also see advertisements there?

I think factual things are destined to be free on the web. Fictional things like movies and music will not be!
    As Google says, "Advertising is Information" and its useful (sometimes!). I believe the paid version will have advertisements.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm wondering why this has not been discussed in Civil Engineering section yet. It'd not hurt to begin discussing the biggest construction projects going on around the world. What say?...
i m 2nd year mechanical engineear..i want some gud idea for my project..cn anyone pls help me for dis??
E-Cell IIT Kharagpur, each year, takes a massive initiative to promote entrepreneurship and encourage students across the country to embrace the concept of starting one's own enterprise. It conducts an...
Here's a short tutorial on how to use SuperScripts and SubScripts in your posts on CE:- Superscript: Achieved by [sup]text[/ sup] (remove the spaces betwee / and sup). Subscript: Achieved...
Hey guys, am a 4th year electrical engineering student currently under the computer engineering stream. I was hoping if you could help me come up with some project topics... What...