Our Own Quiz Engine

Hi Friends,
Having all the CEans's talents together, why are we outsourcing the quiz engine to Zoho or someone? Why can't we make our own Quiz Engine and publish? I am planning to work on a new quiz engine and I have just done the groundwork for it. Okay, here are the features I propose. Please do suggest me more and lets make it challenging for me.

Features:
1. Multiple choice single answer (includes True or False, Yes or No, etc.)
2. Multiple choice multiple answers (Like using Check Boxes)
3. Fill in the blanks
4. Detailed Report (Like what? Need suggestions from Admin!)
5. User Management
6. Timed and Untimed Quizzes

Feel free to say your suggestions. ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

Welcome, guest

Join CrazyEngineers to reply, ask questions, and participate in conversations.

CrazyEngineers powered by Jatra Community Platform

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 20, 2011

    Some more options like:
    1. One Time Security Key
    2. Sending Emails to the Quiz Takers
    3. Auto Save and Close after Time Ends

  • ISHAN TOPRE

    @ishan-nohePN • Aug 20, 2011

    I have seen some websites which allows you to compete with other players.
    Say there are 100 users online, you can provide them with an option of taking challenge with their selected friends who are online at that moment.

    P.S: Good going buddy. ๐Ÿ˜€

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 20, 2011

    ishutopreI have seen some websites which allows you to compete with other players.
    Say there are 100 users online, you can provide them with an option of taking challenge with their selected friends who are online at that moment.

    P.S: Good going buddy. ๐Ÿ˜€

    Ishu, the idea is good. You say like an online game. I am starting with a basic online quiz, which computes the score only when the quiz is completed. So, when we take this to the next level, I guess your idea can be implemented. ๐Ÿ˜€

  • ISHAN TOPRE

    @ishan-nohePN • Aug 20, 2011

    Well it would be great ๐Ÿ˜€ But I guess you should wait until AKD, NION and Eternal thinker launch their wordquiz. We find out their anomalies in say 4-5 days and suggest ways so that your quiz engine can be more effective. ๐Ÿ˜€

    Till then your idea looks awesome. ๐Ÿ‘

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Aug 20, 2011

    How about reports?

    I think we need to generate pretty reports for the test takers. If we integrate the test system with CE Login (we should), it would be nice to let people have a history of their performance. I think we can begin with the basic reports and graphs -

    1. Total Attempts
    2. Total Time Spent on each section (if we decide to have sections)
    3. Total corrects, total incorrects

    and so on. What say? ๐Ÿ˜€

  • ISHAN TOPRE

    @ishan-nohePN • Aug 20, 2011

    The_Big_KHow about reports?

    I think we need to generate pretty reports for the test takers. If we integrate the test system with CE Login (we should), it would be nice to let people have a history of their performance. I think we can begin with the basic reports and graphs -

    1. Total Attempts
    2. Total Time Spent on each section (if we decide to have sections)
    3. Total corrects, total incorrects

    and so on. What say? ๐Ÿ˜€

    Pie charts depicting reports just like ZOHO. ๐Ÿ˜€

  • Ankita Katdare

    @abrakadabra • Aug 20, 2011

    Here's what we should add to it:

    1. Multiple choice
    โ–ช Option to allow candidates to add their own choices
    โ–ช Single Answers
    โ–ช True / False
    โ–ช Fill in the blanks
    โ–ช Descriptive (or essay type questions)

    2. Support for multi-media questions like adding images.
    3. Like Zoho, support for multiple question banks (choose questions from them) & multiple evaluators (needed for descriptive answers only.)
    4. Division of test into 4-5 sections.
    5. Negative marking facility
    6. Test performance report (for test taker as well as evaluator)
    5. User Management
    6. Timed and Un-timed Quizzes, also support for taking test on specified time segment or whenever the user wishes.

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Aug 20, 2011

    Well, it's better to start with a smaller, basic version of the test system first than planning for the final version directly.

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 20, 2011

    @AKD: I thought of that! But will people manually evaluate the answers given by the users? If so, then no problem. For instant results, I guess it would be better with pre-defined options. ๐Ÿ˜€

    I have also an idea to add images, if need with the questions... ๐Ÿ˜€

    @Biggie: Total Attempts??? There's only one attempt as such right? Once the exam is over, the results are displayed and the user knows his results na? ๐Ÿ˜› Correct me if I am wrong or you have any better idea. ๐Ÿ˜€

  • Ankita Katdare

    @abrakadabra • Aug 20, 2011

    Manual checking is optional. It will be needed only for descriptive and essay-like answers.

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 20, 2011

    Preview of the Layout

    [โ€‹IMG]โ€‹

  • eternalthinker

    @eternalthinker-Kvsi5Y • Aug 20, 2011

    praveenscienceSome more options like:
    1. One Time Security Key
    2. Sending Emails to the Quiz Takers
    3. Auto Save and Close after Time Ends

    +1 to Option 3. Much needed ๐Ÿ˜

    I think we can finalize on the basic outline features first, and group further features into incremental updates.

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 20, 2011

    AbraKaDabraManual checking is optional. It will be needed only for descriptive and essay-like answers.

    Yes, but in that case, you won't be able to get the results instantly na? That's what I was thinking of! ๐Ÿ˜”

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 20, 2011

    eternalthinker+1 to Option 3. Much needed ๐Ÿ˜

    I think we can finalize on the basic outline features first, and group further features into incremental updates.

    Ha ha!!! Based on Ishu's and others experience only I added this feature, which is not available with Zoho! ๐Ÿ˜›

  • Ankita Katdare

    @abrakadabra • Aug 20, 2011

    Yay! CE will have the best online quizzing ever.

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 20, 2011

    Release 1 Beta: First Home Screen (Without Login)

    [โ€‹IMG]โ€‹

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 20, 2011

    Release 1 Beta: Client Side Form Validation

    [โ€‹IMG]โ€‹

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 20, 2011

    Release 1 Beta: This is the page after logging in by an user.

    [โ€‹IMG]โ€‹
    @AKD & Biggie: For now I have separated the columns this way. Any other ideas? CEans, if any??? ๐Ÿ˜€

    Adding new features like:
    1. Users taking quiz can create quizzes. (To be planned)
    2. Awards for Users.
    3. I18n Support (With Multiple Languages).
    4. Hall of Fame.
    5. Share the Score.

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 25, 2011

    Have created the project page for the Quiz at my Projects Central Site... You can very well check out the statuses and updates! ๐Ÿ˜€ Enjoy! ๐Ÿ˜€

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 25, 2011

    For those folks, who are concerned about the Project Status, can please look into here... ๐Ÿ˜€

    Version 1 Beta Deliverables (As on 26th August 2011, 7:15 PM IST)
    1. Welcome Page
    2. UI for Landing Pages
    3. Database Schema - Partially Completed, Undergoes continuous changes
    4. User Management
    5. User Profile Management
    6. Session Control
    7. Display of Quizzes
    8. Enrol into Quiz (Users have to click on some agree button to opt in)
    9. Protect Quizzes using Password
    10. Evaluate Answers - Single / Multiple - Same Logic
    11. Save answers to Database
    12. Display results to the Quiz Takers (Graphical Form)
    13. Prevent users to retake quizzes
    14. Leader-board or Scoreboard
    15. Impose time-limit on quizzes
    16. Auto-submit at expiry of time
    17. Registration for New Users
    18. Admin Module
    19. Admin Module: Add Quizzes
    20. Admin Module: Add Questions & Answers
    21. Admin Module: Add Question Banks
    22. Admin Module: Get Questions from Question Banks
    23. Admin Module: Edit for Quizzes, Questions, Answers, Question Banks, etc.
    24. Admin Module: User Management
    25. Admin Module: Send Mails
    26. Mail System: Quiz Reminder, Link, Password, etc.

    Legend
    Normal - Not yet started
    Italics - Completed

    Updates
    Please do comment, if I have left anything! I will be updating this post on a per-day basis. ๐Ÿ˜€

    Just in 12 hours, completed 5 tasks! ๐Ÿ˜€

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Aug 25, 2011

    Just wondering whether this project can become a open source development project? Or will it slow down the development?

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 25, 2011

    @Biggie: I won't let the project die... ๐Ÿ˜€ Will be making active developments... ๐Ÿ˜

    Competing with Zoho is kinda tough I guess... ๐Ÿ˜›

    PS: I am doing this in my spare time! When I start developing it in full time basis, I guess it goes well... ๐Ÿ˜ Surely better than the current engines... ๐Ÿ˜

  • Ankita Katdare

    @abrakadabra • Aug 25, 2011

    Great to know about the updates. Do keep us posted regularly.

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 26, 2011

    AbraKaDabraGreat to know about the updates. Do keep us posted regularly.

    Yeah sure... Today was somewhat rapid!!! ๐Ÿ˜› Completed 5 tasks today!!! Yay!!! ๐Ÿ˜€

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 26, 2011

    @Biggie & AKD: Will it be possible for you both to test drive the application, by giving a daily test, to make sure how the server performs and ... blah blah... Beta testing stuff??? ๐Ÿ˜› Possible?

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Aug 26, 2011

    Let's set it up on a test server and give it a try.

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 26, 2011

    The_Big_KLet's set it up on a test server and give it a try.

    Max tonight I guess I can complete the above said stuff... And Biggie, you personally gimme the deadlines (considering my work pressure also), so that I can maintain the activeness of this project. ๐Ÿ˜€

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 26, 2011

    @Biggie: The basic functionalities other than admin and mail are over. Shall we test drive it? Finished 15 and 16 tasks too! ๐Ÿ˜€

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 26, 2011

    Finally with the current model, the quiz engine is hosted at #-Link-Snipped-#.

    CEans, please test drive it by registering. ๐Ÿ˜€

    First test is at 7:30 PM today! ๐Ÿ˜€ All the best... Very basic ones, so you can attempt them easily! ๐Ÿ˜›

    From Twitter: Finally hosted a demo quiz engine at #-Link-Snipped-#
    Quiz starts at 7.30 PM IST, Duration 15 Mins, 10 Questions. Register soon! ๐Ÿ˜€

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Aug 27, 2011

    Not able to login at the moment. Is it as expected?

  • ISHAN TOPRE

    @ishan-nohePN • Aug 27, 2011

    logged in! We can now have questions from all the engineering streams.

    Can we send them? What are your plans?

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 27, 2011

    The_Big_KNot able to login at the moment. Is it as expected?

    We all are able to login... What error are you facing? or problem?

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 27, 2011

    Issuelogged in! We can now have questions from all the engineering streams.

    Can we send them? What are your plans?

    Yeah buddy... Its upto AKD and Biggie to decide... hey, this is just a basic comp sci test... ๐Ÿ˜

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Aug 27, 2011

    I'm getting username/password error. I've created a new account and trying to login with it ๐Ÿ˜

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 27, 2011

    Guys... I have tested the quiz application... It is working fine... I hope you all shouldn't face any problem... Server status is good and lets see at 7.30! ๐Ÿ˜€

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 27, 2011

    The_Big_KI'm getting username/password error. I've created a new account and trying to login with it ๐Ÿ˜

    Shall I reset your password?

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Aug 27, 2011

    Yep, and let me know the new password through email ๐Ÿ˜€

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 27, 2011

    The_Big_KYep, and let me know the new password through email ๐Ÿ˜€

    Sent mail as well as PM. ๐Ÿ˜€

  • Kaustubh Katdare

    @thebigk • Aug 27, 2011

    Took the test and scored 70%. Works great! ๐Ÿ˜€

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 27, 2011

    The_Big_KTook the test and scored 70%. Works great! ๐Ÿ˜€

    Yay!!! ๐Ÿ˜ Thankz biggie!!! ๐Ÿ˜

  • H.Ali

    @hali-nLubW1 • Aug 28, 2011

    good job praveen....
    keep it up....
    try to include a time alarm.. which will catch our attention when the time is near to over...

  • eternalthinker

    @eternalthinker-Kvsi5Y • Aug 28, 2011

    Instead of alarm, you could implement some timebar or similar, which changes color (like, from green to yellow to orange to red).
    The users will then be able to estimate the time left.

    Of course, this might create panic in some people ๐Ÿ˜‰
    So may be it should be optional ๐Ÿ˜

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 28, 2011

    Something like Banshee Screamer???

    Okay, as ET says, I can do one thing, which beeps every minute! At the time of 5 minutes, it beeps every 30 seconds, and at 1 minute, it beeps every 15 seconds. At the time of 0, it submits the answer! ๐Ÿ˜› What say?

  • Ankita Katdare

    @abrakadabra • Aug 28, 2011

    Just logged in and checked, it's awesome. I can't wait to have it customized for CE. (I can help with designing and I want ET's help with color scheme choosing)

    @Praveen: We need more navigation buttons. (For eg: from past test, to front page.)

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 28, 2011

    AbraKaDabraJust logged in and checked, it's awesome. I can't wait to have it customized for CE. (I can help with designing and I want ET's help with color scheme choosing)

    @Praveen: We need more navigation buttons. (For eg: from past test, to front page.)

    @AKD: Sure, but we have options of seeing the Past Quizzes, Past Results and Upcoming Quizzes right? What's missing?
    Oh! For the front page, please click on the logo (PT Online Quiz)! ๐Ÿ˜€

  • Ankita Katdare

    @abrakadabra • Aug 28, 2011

    Right now, when I am on Results page, I have to click on the 'PT Online Quiz' logo to go back to home page.
    Instead of that menu bar style buttons to navigate at the top/bottom would be more user-friendly. (Just a suggestion)

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 28, 2011

    Actually, in the main page also, there you can see,

    Hello Username
    Signed in as #-Link-Snipped-# ~ Edit Profile ~ Logout.

    I forgot to include it in every page! ๐Ÿ˜”

  • eternalthinker

    @eternalthinker-Kvsi5Y • Aug 28, 2011

    Praveen-KumarSomething like Banshee Screamer???
    Okay, as ET says, I can do one thing, which beeps every minute!

    If you're implementing any time alert, please make sure it doesn't cause much distraction from the actual questions ๐Ÿ˜‰

    Once we had an exercise in school. The student is asked to write something (alphabets, numbers) in limited time. When he/she is constantly reminded of the remaining time, the person tends to make more mistakes (Panic effect!).

    AbraKaDabraI can't wait to have it customized for CE. (I can help with designing and I want ET's help with color scheme choosing)

    Sure Miss.K, I'll start thinking about the color scheme ๐Ÿ˜€

  • eternalthinker

    @eternalthinker-Kvsi5Y • Aug 28, 2011

    Praveen bhai, just a few things I noted while going through the current implementation:

    * After sign-up, since there wasn't any notification, I thought something went wrong while I entered details.
    So I had to repeat the process. Only later did I think of trying out the login. Do add some kind of notification ๐Ÿ˜€

    * This is just a doubt, ignore if not really important: Is the time calculated as server time or user's local time?
    > If it is user time, will the user be able to take the test at other times by changing his clock?
    > If it is server time, will it be properly converted to regional/country time?

  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman

    @praveenkumar-66Ze92 • Aug 28, 2011

    eternalthinkerPraveen bhai, just a few things I noted while going through the current implementation:

    * After sign-up, since there wasn't any notification, I thought something went wrong while I entered details.
    So I had to repeat the process. Only later did I thought of trying out the login. Do add some kind of notification ๐Ÿ˜€

    Sorry man! Didn't think of it! Will do it... ๐Ÿ˜€ Thanx... Actually I was planning to make the registration system AJAXified way, so that once they are registered, they will be instantly logged in. ๐Ÿ˜€ Will update that!

    eternalthinker* This is just a doubt, ignore if not really important: Is the time calculated as server time or user's local time?
    > If it is user time, will the user be able to take the test at other times by changing his clock?
    > If it is server time, will it be properly converted to regional/country time?

    Calculated as per server time! ๐Ÿ˜ Dude, this is THE REAL IMPORTANT stuff! ๐Ÿ˜€