Oscilloscope isolation

Hello guys,
Can anybody explain the need for isolating the oscilloscope? If not isolated what will happen? Explain in detail.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• debu
    debu
    @Er_Mahendran: Isolation reduces the chances of creating a Ground Loop. Ground Loop %28Electricity%29 can explain the problem in more detail then I.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Debu 😀

Edit: Tektronix also has a beautiful note on this topic #-Link-Snipped-# which is more specific to oscilloscopes.
  • Er_Mahendran
    Er_Mahendran
    Hello Debu,
    Thanks for your reply. Now I got some idea about ground loop. Can you explain how the oscilloscope ground looping is eliminated by isolating the scope or device under test. Please explain in laymann way.

Thanks in advance.
  • debu
    debu
    @Er_Mahendran: The link I posted from Tektronix explains this in a lot of detail. In Laymen terms;

The following image shows the problem. The ground for the tested circuit is connected to the testing device at two points. This leads to different ground potentials, and hence the problem as stated before.
    [​IMG]
    (image taken from #-Link-Snipped-#)

As is obvious, the simplest remedy for the aforementioned problem is, to disconnect the ground at either of the two places. Now; it is not feasible to disconnect the ground from the test side. The reason being, the supply ground may not always be common. Hence, we choose to isolate the scope.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Debu 😀
  • silenthorde
    silenthorde
    Even the choice of proper probe is extremely important. Probes introduce resistive, capacitive and inductive loading errors in the system.

Capacitive loading results in increase in rise time and decrease of BW.

Inductive loading results in oscillations in the oscilloscope o/p.
    Yale's EE lab website has great resource on oscilloscope probe. heres the link #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Er_Mahendran
    Er_Mahendran
    Hello Debu,
    Thanks for your reply. It is much useful.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

😕Hey can anyone guide me as to what should be my future course of action,I have given my final semester exams from mumbai university & waiting for my results.My agg...
I know many of our CEan work in famouse MNC's and Firm. we know if we are working in an organization/Team/group then we require organizational behavioure. we know we require...
Hi, I am a final year engineering student.My specification is Electronics and Telecommunication. I want some project ideas for final year. Can someone give me some ideas for the same....
Hello colleagues! this is one idea i been come up last days, i am an electronics engineer from mexico, and i become to the conclusion that there's nothing like a...
can anyone tell me what are thethings we need to know in computer before beginning an it engineering😕