Optocoupler : Automatic adjustment of generator output voltage by varying pwm

My final year project is automatic adjustment of generator output voltage by varying pwm to the motor which is acting as a prime mover to the generator. The output of the
generator is given to ADC and pwm is varied. We are using mbed lpc1768 microcontroller.max input voltage is 3.6V and current 40mA . generator is rated 220v,0.385kw and 3A.
The output is stepped down using potential divider in order to give it to micro controller ADC (220V to 3V) . Now my question is which optocoupler can be used for isolation between generator and micro controller or whether there are any other circuit which can be used for isolation.

Replies

• ABCD ABCD
    ABCD ABCD
    why do you need to isolate?

you are already converting it to digital using ADC.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    One thing potential divider for stepping down such high voltage is very lossy so efficiency of your design is very very poor Do consider it
  • grsalvi
    grsalvi
    There is another way ,connect Potential Transformer (PT) to step down the output of the generator.
    The secondary side of PT is given to a resistive pot and then to voltage regulator.
    Now give this output of regulator to ADC.
    The port shall allow you to adjust the input to ADC and hence vary the sensitivity.

This is enough for isolation as regulator wont give output beyond its rating and yes more electronic components are required along with these for filtering and more protection .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Inspired from godfather 's thread of Android Applications collection. Linux has plenty of distros, but here we will focus in HOT Linux distro in market - Ubuntu! I would request...
I like it more when offices don't have the typical cubicles. YourStory.in folks got an office tour of India's leading travel bookings portal - cleartrip.com. Take a look-
Here's a new startup called 'Does Anyone' - it lets you ask simple questions within your network and get answers and references from your contacts. Here's a video that explains...
LED ∝ GROWTH : LED enjoys the reputation of being a growing segment worldwide even if the economies are facing a global slowdown. One section which is only consistently growing...
The Goudreau Museum, a small museum devoted to math, closed a few years ago in Long Island USA, much to the disappointment of Glen Whitney, a mathematician, who decided to...