1. Home >
  2. Apps >
  3. Groups >

Opportunities After GATE other than IITs, NITs and PSUs

Question asked by Nataraj2591 in #Career Help #ExamPrep on Jun 15, 2015
Nataraj2591
Nataraj2591 · Jun 15, 2015
Rank D3 - MASTER

Guys I'm Electrical engineer, I want to know the opportunities of GATE other than IITs, NITs and PSUs . What are all good colleges/universities to pursue M.Tech for EE and placements in Private sectors? Kindly help on this. Thank you Engineers

Posted in: #Career Help #ExamPrep
Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare · Jun 15, 2015
Rank A1 - PRO
Hi @Nataraj2591 Welcome to CrazyEngineers.

First of all - I don't understand your question. Why would anyone take the GATE exam if they don't want to apply for a job in PSU or learn at leading institutes of NIT and IIT?
Isn't it better to hunt for a job without GATE or pursue a career of your choice instead of taking the pains of cracking GATE exam?

What after GATE exam? Opportunities after cracking GATE?

1. Pursue M.Tech/MSc from India or abroad.
  2. If your GATE score is low but you want to do MTech/MS from a reputed institute, you can work as an assistant to professor for an year or two. This way you can get a really useful recommendation (LOR) necessary for pursuing higher studies abroad.
  3. If your score is high, get into an IIM (Indian Institute of Management) B-school through GATE Score
  4. You can teach at GATE coaching classes (Part-time or Full-time).
  5. Go for recruitment in PSUs such as BHEL, IOC, NTPC, BPCL, BARC, HPCL, etc.
Nataraj2591
Rank D3 - MASTER
Thanks . I want to know the other opportunities of GATE. For example if i get a rank between 2000-2500...Probably I won't get seats in Any IIT,NIT and job in PSU...so what shall I do now ? I get struck here. That why I need your suggestions about other reputed institutions and jobs in private sectors.
Nataraj2591
Rank D3 - MASTER
Ankita Katdare

First of all - I don't understand your question. Why would anyone take the GATE exam if they don't want to apply for a job in PSU or learn at leading institutes of NIT and IIT?
Isn't it better to hunt for a job without GATE or pursue a career of your choice
Nataraj2591
Rank D3 - MASTER
Ankita Katdare

Isn't it better to hunt for a job without GATE or pursue a career of your choice instead of taking the pains of cracking GATE exam?

What after GATE exam? Opportunities after cracking GATE?

1. Pursue M.Tech/MSc from India or abroad.
  2. If your GATE score is low but you want to do MTech/MS from a reputed institute, you can work as an assistant to professor for an year or two. This way you can get a really useful recommendation (LOR) necessary for pursuing higher studies abroad.
  3. If your score is high, get into an IIM (Indian Institute of Management) B-school through GATE Score
  4. You can teach at GATE coaching classes (Part-time or Full-time).
  5. Go for recruitment in PSUs such as BHEL, IOC, NTPC, BPCL, BARC, HPCL, etc.

Thanks . I want to know the other opportunities of GATE. For example if i get a rank between 2000-2500...Probably I won't get seats in Any IIT,NIT and job in PSU...so what shall I do now ? I get struck here. That why I need your suggestions about other reputed institutions and jobs in private sectors
msuresh444
msuresh444 · Jun 16, 2015
Rank D2 - MASTER
Nataraj2591
Thanks . I want to know the other opportunities of GATE. For example if i get a rank between 2000-2500...Probably I won't get seats in Any IIT,NIT and job in PSU...so what shall I do now ? I get struck here. That why I need your suggestions about other reputed institutions and jobs in private sectors
Boss, instead of speculating your GATE rank, prepare well and get a better one. Rank below 1000 would land you on safe side. My colleagues told BHEL wont recruit for another 2 years. You will never be stuck anywhere.
Private sector is always open for you.
Nataraj2591
Nataraj2591 · Jun 16, 2015
Rank D3 - MASTER
msuresh444
Boss, instead of speculating your GATE rank, prepare well and get a better one. Rank below 1000 would land you on safe side. My colleagues told BHEL wont recruit for another 2 years. You will never be stuck anywhere.
Thanks Boss. Sure I'm on that mission. Can you tell any Private sector names who recruits through GATE? This will helpful for many GATE Aspirants in Electrical Engineering.
msuresh444
msuresh444 · Jun 16, 2015
Rank D2 - MASTER
Nataraj2591
Thanks Boss. Sure I'm on that mission. Can you tell any Private sector names who recruits through GATE? This will helpful for many GATE Aspirants in Electrical Engineering.
Private companies never recruit thru GATE generally. A good rank will just add better impression to your resume, thats all. You must impress them with your resume and interview skills.
Ankita Katdare
Ankita Katdare · Jun 16, 2015
Rank A1 - PRO
I am sure this thread is going to help a lot of engineering who are unsure about the opportunities after GATE exam. There are many career prospects after cracking the GATE, however many are not aware it seems.

Assuming that after GATE, you pursue M.Tech from a reputed college, you have two immediate options: Getting a Job or Joining a Research field. In fact, you can target core companies with a better job profile.

Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) are offering really great job positions to GATE score holders.

GATE Score is also accepted by Universities outside India for PG programs.
Example: NUS or NTU from Singapore accept it. They are research-focused universities.

If you are a GATE qualified candidate you are also eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in CSIR or Council of Scientific & Industrial Research Labs.

If anyone knows more options, please list them below.
Nataraj2591
Nataraj2591 · Jun 17, 2015
Rank D3 - MASTER
msuresh444
Private companies never recruit thru GATE generally. A good rank will just add better impression to your resume, thats all. You must impress them with your resume and interview skills.
Thanks Boss. First my mission is to get Good Rank in GATE and AIM for IITs...It's good to dream big. If I have any doubts I wil ask in future. Thanks Once again.
Nataraj2591
Nataraj2591 · Jun 17, 2015
Rank D3 - MASTER
Ankita Katdare
I am sure this thread is going to help a lot of engineering who are unsure about the opportunities after GATE exam. There are many career prospects after cracking the GATE, however many are not aware it seems.

Assuming that after GATE, you pursue M.Tech from a reputed college, you have two immediate options: Getting a Job or Joining a Research field. In fact, you can target core companies with a better job profile.

Public Sector Undertakings (PSUs) are offering really great job positions to GATE score holders.

GATE Score is also accepted by Universities outside India for PG programs.
Example: NUS or NTU from Singapore accept it. They are research-focused universities.

If you are a GATE qualified candidate you are also eligible for the award of Junior Research Fellowship (JRF) in CSIR or Council of Scientific & Industrial Research Labs.

If anyone knows more options, please list them below.
Thanks . Sure this post will help a lot of GATE aspirants. Thank you for your valuable info...
rkmars
rkmars · Mar 20, 2016
Rank E1 - BEGINNER
Hello mam,
I have qualified Gate (EC) 2016 but with a very low score. Just on the edge of qualifying marks. What should I do please help. Thank you!

rohitmars29@gmail.com
Nataraj2591
Nataraj2591 · Mar 22, 2016
Rank D3 - MASTER
msuresh444
I got 34.93 marks and a score of 462 with AIR 8110. Don't know what to do. :-(
Devil999
Devil999 · Aug 8, 2016
Rank E2 - BEGINNER
I got 1593 rank in gate with 610 score in cse do I have any chances of PSU or any other job
Jeffery Simon
Jeffery Simon · Jun 26, 2019
Rank D2 - MASTER

@Devil999    I think rank under 1000 get guarranteed call from PSUs. Others mostly opt for IITs. Did you get into any PSU?

TANMAY PAGARE
TANMAY PAGARE · Dec 30, 2019
Rank D1 - MASTER

scope of GATE exam other than Master's,PSU,IIT & NIT are as follows

1)there are some foreign university that does not required GRE exam.They can admit you by your GATE score according to there cut off.there are some Singapore and Taiwan universities  that accept gate score.

2)You can apply for DRDO or ISRO for Intership and if your performance is good they hire you for work

3)there are some companies that hire by your GATE score itself like Texas instruments and Atmel corp if your AIR is below 2k.   

RAKESH KSHEERASAGAR
RAKESH KSHEERASAGAR · Dec 30, 2019
Rank E1 - BEGINNER

Hello Folks

Based on your GATE Score there are many chances to join in govt&pvt sectors.

mostly top MNC product Based companies like  Texas Instruments, Analog Devices,etc and many more Product based companies will offer them, they conduct an F-F interview  and offer with very High Packages. 

coming to Govt sector many  opportunities    maha Ratna, Mini Ratna, Organizations will posts the Requirements every year, so you need to apply them according to eligibility

NOTE- your GATE Score will Valid up to Three years.

Noothan Kumar
Noothan Kumar · Jan 24, 2020
Rank C1 - EXPERT

it entire depends on the rank you get in GATE.

A very good rank, say<80, may get you job in PSUs like, BARC, BHEL,BEL,HAL,NPCIL,BPCIL etc...,

A good rank will get you admission into top colleges.

An okayish rank will give you inspiration to work harder in next attempt.

A bad rank gives you experience

if you want industrial exposure, you should go for a job. Choose GATE only if you want to opt for GOVT sector or academics.

There is not much you can do with your GATE score apart from these. Ofcourse, you can apply for some foreign universities for Masters with your GATE score(like NSU/Nanyang).

Karshil Sheth
Karshil Sheth · Jan 26, 2020
Rank C2 - EXPERT

I believe Gate is meant for going into PSU's or other than than into some premium institutes for M.tech. Also they are various foreign colleges in Singapore or so, are giving admission into M.tech on the basis of Gate Score. So these are some of the opportunities you get while having a good Gate Score.

If you don't have good gate score and if you have just cleared it, try to give the exam next time so that you may get one of the colleges or companies you are looking for. In private sector gate sometimes matter as it shows that you are a qualified engineer and they do take into consideration. But it depends on the different organization. 

Vinay Mishra
Vinay Mishra · Jan 28, 2020
Rank B2 - LEADER

Other than NITs, IITs, and PSUs there are some other opportunities you can go for:

1) MS Program: If you wish to go for higher studies abroad than you don't need to worry about exams such as GRE and TOEFL. There are some top universities that consider GATE score for admission of Indian students such as NUS(National University of Singapore) and NTU(Nanyang Technological University).

2) State Electricity Boards: Earlier, different electricity boards used to conduct independent exams but nowadays many of them are collaborating with IITs to recruit through GATE. Some of the state boards that started recruiting through GATE are WBSEDC(West Bengal State Electricity Distribution Company), PSPCL(Punjab State Power Corporation Limited), OPGEN(Odisha Power Generation Corporation Limited).

You have to apply with your GATE Registration Number to their respective website for recruitment.

3) Research: There is a number of research positions available through GATE in research centers like the Bhabha Atomic Research Center(BARC).

If you're interested in research and want to work in ISRO than for your information, ISRO conducts their own exams on the similar pattern as GATE. 

I hope it helps!

You must log-in or sign-up to reply to this post.

Click to Log-In or Sign-Up