operating system information management disk space allocation

Dear sir

I am ashok I am reading Achyutgodbole operating system book it is nice to read I have one doubt in information management :- in disk space allocation method ,my question is actually in FAT if the block size has 512 bytes to store or suppose 1024 bytes is the block size if I want to store 700 bytes, if block size is 512 bytes and it occupies two sector one sector A takes 512 bytes and 2 bytes for giving information about next sector the next sector B gets 188 bytes the remaining 324 bytes in sector B are kept free or this cannot be used or how can we utilize this space in that sector B; and same time the FAT entry contains the used sector or block , FAT will be giving the information stating that sector A and sector B are used, the free space left by the sector B will it be left free or how c can it be used by the operating system can u please help to get clear idea for this question .

thank u
ashok

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Hi Ashok,

When you see the FAT Structure, there are two types. One is FAT16 and the other is FAT32. In case of FAT32, this problem is resolved using Shared Memory allocation. ๐Ÿ˜€ The data is handled between two or more sectors and the free space is utilized by using a stop code mechanism. ๐Ÿ˜€ This makes the sharing possible with another file of lesser size or spanned large file. ๐Ÿ˜€ Hope it is clear... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ashokkumar_cpc
    ashokkumar_cpc
    thank u so much let me go through FAT 32 and shared memory allocation if i have any doubt i will post the message

thank u
    Do post if you get more information. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ashokkumar_cpc
    ashokkumar_cpc
    can u please explain about FAT 32 and shared memory allocation in hard disk
    Didn't you get the info from Google? Try searching, if not, I will get you the whole concept tomorrow... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ashokkumar_cpc
    ashokkumar_cpc
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ashokkumar_cpc
    I believe all the basic information about FAT 32 can be obtained from Internet. Here's Microsoft's own KB: #-Link-Snipped-# . Does it give you the information you're looking for?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am a programmer. I love to write code, but many times i fall short of logical skills. I am not too good in logic , and new creative ideas...
If you want to experience Windows 8 UI on your Windows 7 machine, you can do so by downloading the Zetro: Zetro VS 1.1 updated by ~pisadeviant on deviantART Install...
hi, I am a final year Btech student of computer science and at present really confused what should i be doing after my graduation.I have always planned to do a...
As you know we at CrazyEngineers have taken part in the Create the Future Design Contest by Tech Briefs. It would be an honor to get your vote for us....
iPhone 5 will be introduced in September 2011, says China Mobile employee. Apple's current CEO (acting) Tim Cook was busy holding meetings with senior China Mobile executives recently. One of...