Operating system concepts

what is difference between threads and child processes and light weight processes?

p.s. i have referred to two books by tanenbaum and i have found contradictory answers. thats why i am asking here!!

Replies

• xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Could you also write the answers you saw in the other two books? That would be nice to refer here and correct which ever is wrong or explain both. 😀
  • djnachi
    djnachi
    Hi Simple,

Your query will be surely solved by the following books:

1.Operating Systems Concepts - Silberschatz Galvin
    2.Operating Systems - Achyut S. Godbole

Regards,
    Dj Nachi.😛
  • freakinengg
    freakinengg
    Cmn Man...
    Its Simple...
    Threads Re Defined As Lightweight Processes...
    Nway Refer Gd Books..
    Try Pearson Edition Books..
  • simple
    simple
    Its not that simple....

Kernel-supported threads fall into two classes.
    • In a "pure" kernel-supported system, the kernel is responsible for scheduling all threads.
    • Systems in which the kernel cooperates with a user-level library to do scheduling are known as two-level, or hybrid, systems. Typically, the kernel schedules LWPs, and the user-level library schedules threads onto LWPs.
    This is why i was confused....
    thanks anyways!! c ya!!
  • AHAD-KHAN
    AHAD-KHAN
    hey every body-i am going to interfacing a single led through parallel port .can any one tell me how it interface....
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Ahad Khan, search our forums and google, we have a good tutorial here.
  • AHAD-KHAN
    AHAD-KHAN
    thanx xheavenlyx,but i could not find the functioning of operating system in interfacing- moreover why we prefer windows-98 in interfacing.In window-xp we can not access parallel port directly, if so then why... i need perfect help!
  • AHAD-KHAN
    AHAD-KHAN
    plz xheavenlyx,i am waiting ...reply please!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello everyone......i m rohan subbaiah doin my 3rd year mechanical enggnering.....i need to do a project this year itself......so please do tell me about the various ideas and all.....my elective...
One of my friends mentioned about Laser Televisions and I checked on Wikipedia. I guess it would be interesting to discuss the Laser Televisions here on CE. So, anyone wants...
I am presntly working wit one of my friend and dsigning a wheel assembly which can be attached to any ordinary car. wait,wait,wait....b4 thinkin somthin I'll tell U wat exactly...
Could anybody plz suggest a source of very comprehensive material on Computer Organisation.esp for GATE prep. ?
CEans lets discuss about the problem of storage of hydrogen which 1kg of hydrgen takes 11.2 m^3 of space(approx.). Please share your views, ideas (also those vague and crazy ones).