openFOAM anybody?

Hello,

I am trying to install and start learning openFOAM CFD myself, on a windows system. The installation for this predominantly (Linux based) open source CFD environment has been given as a list of steps. I am totally stuck in the installation. Can anybody, with previous experience in using openFOAM help me?

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I think that this may not work with windows. Nowhere in their site I see any mention of Windows.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    So you're trying to build linux codebase in Windows ? That's like using gat to bring down T-90.

You'll need Linux distribution to use openFOAM. I see no support for Windows or OS X there.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Well as it turns out you can cross compile openFoam using utilities like cygwin64. The precompiled binaries and source code for Windows distribution are available on the internet. The problem is the cross compilation platform- cygwin64 in my case- which happens to give problems after installation. Some registeries dont happen is what Im beginning to suspect now.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Can you post the output ?

I found this : #-Link-Snipped-# when I duckduckgo 'openFOAM for Windows'. They do have support I guess. But I wonder why they haven't mentioned in official website.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    umm
    wrappers are always a headache for me. cant you just run linux as virtual machine and run the program within the virtual machine?? virtual machine can be made to connect to host machine (thats a different discussion though)
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    1. Yes, the support for windows is not something openFOAM mentions on their website (and the problems we run into might be the reason why, they do not want the extra headache of supporting another OS based distribution).
    2. I tried running Ubuntu on a VirtualMachine- My system runs like a F1 engine (just the heat and noise part, speed is very slow) when I run ubuntu in a VM environment and besides, even after I have started using the VM ubuntu, I am pretty sure parallelization (as a strength of openFOAM) is already thrown out of the window. My laptop will blow out.
    3. The only option I am left with is this - OpenFOAM for MS windows binary release download | SourceForge.net which again is a cross compiler, but looking at the rating, I suppose unlike cygwin64, this should run fine. Will update you once I get this done.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

With so many unconventional launches in CES 2015, there were quite a many products which didn’t receive the attention they should have. Canon PowerShot SX530 is one of such products....
Acer India debuted their new creation Acer One 10 (S1001) as an Amazon India exclusive recently. This Windows 8.1 device works as a standalone tablet and when paired with its...
i am doing project in image segmentation using isoperimetric partitioning. i dont know how to do this in matlab. kindly let me know if anyone know about this
The first working exoskeleton weighed almost 700 kg. Current ones are helping the disabled walk and be independent. Quote: Trends in sensors, power supplies, batteries, and other technologies are bringing...
Project Abstract / Summary : In this project we aims at controlling Home appliances via Android device using Wifi as communication protocol and Raspberry Pi as server system. We create...