Open source is the future of software?

On Feb 2, 2013 , I stumble upon Like poetry for software - The Hindu , in which they are comparing open source programmers with Ghalib (The Godfather of Gazals).
Following is quoted from article.
Open source programme creators cater to the highest standards and give away their work for free, much like Ghalib who wrote not just for money but the discerning reader.
I was just thinking about some open source releases which are at the apex in their software categories.

1. Java (Tell me a Bank software/portal which dosn't have backbone of java, I hope Oracle will keep it open source.)
  2. jQuery (Which modern website is not using it with Ajax).
  3. Subversion SVN and CVS (Both are the leading version maintenance software)
  4. Linux (Getting pace in personal use and already best option of enterprises to maintain their servers)
  5. VLC (The best video player so far, almost all codecs are free)
  6. Android (It already leading the smartphone war and expected to maintain 50%+ share till 2016).
  7. Firefox and Chrome (Nerds and geeks feels shame about you if you are not using one of these two browsers on your machine😲)
So, what could be like softwares in future? and
Question from beginners, how a open source programmer makes money, do they only rely on donations or something else?

ps: I would like to add some link of Godfather of open source softwares.
File:richard Matthew Stallman.jpeg , good read at Blog of Richard Stallman's Personal Page
[​IMG]

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    ianoop
    Question from beginners, how a open source programmer makes money, do they only rely on donations or something else?
    Linux hackers i.e. Linux developers & maintainers are often paid/supported by giants like Google,IBM & Red Hat for developing & maintaining the Kernel.
    Most of developers working under Opensource project have primary source of income.For example : GNOME developers, some of 'em are Red Hat employees & Intel employees.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I was trying to install Xampp in my Vista OS..but because of UAC turned on,I am not able to use all the features of Xampp,during installation it asks me to...
hey buddies .. i'm doing my Btech in Computer Science and Engineering... currently im in 2nd year ... Recently I heard about the express diploma courses offered at niit near...
Hey! i want to make some innovative project on this platform in 1 week. But i need some innovative idea. i have done "Lcd,DTMF,LED Blinking,USART which contain PC controlled Robot,"....
i'm preparing for gate 2013 help me how to crack it. only 6 days for gate exam i afraid to write a exam suggest me some ideas please.
Most of the Govt jobs & entrance exams have this section. Some entrance exams [eg IIIT] have this as preliminary. I need some tips / books / sites / articles...