Online documents security

I was thinking there could be a way in which the piracy copies could be tracked. I don't know much about data security,but is it possible to encode a unique secret sequence within the data file ? Not as a passkey , but completely encoded into the file and the file is accessible to only those who buy the decoder? Any point where the file is being shared, the downloader can use the same decoder to authenticate the file and download if legal?

P.S: I was supposed to give my exam in another 1 hr when I got this thought :-|. I did not think of the intricacies then. Is this really feasible?

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    Re: onlinedocuments security

??? No thoughts?

*just did not want to let this go to next page you see, hence bumped it ๐Ÿ˜› *
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I think the problem of Online Documents Security can be solved by File-Works

Check there website at : #-Link-Snipped-#

From what I saw there... With the File Works administrator page we can Set up users and set permissions about who accesses what.

I hope I am not drifting away from the question. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    @Durga I think it is possible by using RSA algorithm through which the content of file can be encoded using some algorithm then decoded by using private key which is available to user only.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    @ AbraKadabra - I think file works is more like think-free.com, where you already have a storage space allocated to you and you can share the documents with others. I should have been clear when I mentioned encoding,I mean a unique security tag encoded. Its like a barcode, whenever an illicit item is not scanned, the barcode reader beeps right? similarly a secure tag which cannot be copied while pirated versions are made,thus when the file is being shared, we actually know that its not original .This would help the internet police (do we really have any team like that) to montior which files are original and which are not.

P.S: i think I have now deviated from my initial question

@ Goyal: can you explain what exactly is the RSA algorithm is about?
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    I don't know the whole algorithm but i can explain the basic funda behind this .

RSA Is also known as public key encryption.Here every user has same encryption algorithm and key.
    The decryption algorithm and key ,However are kept secret .Anyone can encrypt information but only an authorized receiver can decrypt it.
    The decryption algorithm is designed in such a way that it is not the inverse of encryption algo,Both uses compeletely different functions.Hence even if someone got the encryption algorithm or key ,it will not be able to decrypt the text

I hope you got a brief idea
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    RSA is a basic asymmetric key algorithm. I can explain it in detail if you want but it will fail in accomplishing your goal. Piracy is public friendly & people support piracy. It depends what type of piracy are you talking about. If you are talking about piracy in entertainment sector then this method will not help. If someone buys a encoded cd with a decoder, he will most certainly distribute it to others & later on it will be decoded & saved in computer & passed on.
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    What kind of document you are talking about??
    There are many ways to secure a document ๐Ÿ˜€
    Even a PDF can be prevent by Stamping the address and a Passkey so that may prevent from illegal sharing! ๐Ÿ˜€
    But i can break that ๐Ÿ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    vik001ind
    RSA is a basic asymmetric key algorithm. I can explain it in detail if you want but it will fail in accomplishing your goal. Piracy is public friendly & people support piracy. It depends what type of piracy are you talking about. If you are talking about piracy in entertainment sector then this method will not help. If someone buys a encoded cd with a decoder, he will most certainly distribute it to others & later on it will be decoded & saved in computer & passed on.
    umm, not really CDs, but say adobe files/Word documents.
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    durga
    umm, not really CDs, but say adobe files/Word documents.
    Here is a scenario.

We will first encrypt the file using a symmetric encryption algorithm like aes, RC5, IDEA etc.
    For encrypting the file we need key which we be generated by some pseudo random key generator.
    Key will be encrypted using asymmetric encryption algo delivered to the user in encrypted form.
    Before these process we need to establish public-private key pair between sender & receiver using asymmetric key algo.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    i agree with the basic point made by vik.
    if a person with a legal decryption key gives it out on the internet then the whole point is lost again.
    piracy can not be tackled this way.

there are a lot of factors inhibiting anti piracy moves.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    vik001ind
    Here is a scenario.

We will first encrypt the file using a symmetric encryption algorithm like aes, RC5, IDEA etc.
    For encrypting the file we need key which we be generated by some pseudo random key generator.
    Key will be encrypted using asymmetric encryption algo delivered to the user in encrypted form.
    Before these process we need to establish public-private key pair between sender & receiver using asymmetric key algo.
    ...you meant double encryption is it? one for the file and another for the key for previous encryption?

@ Opti, I am not talking of a scenario where the key can be distributed, i am talking a scenario where the key even though distributed has no use. ๐Ÿ˜€.
    Consider you have a house floating in free space and your house is intelligent - it has a key of its own and as well, a mechanism to recognise if you are the owner if the house , say fingerprint .
    Now even if you hand you keys to someone else - he/she won't be able to open the door any ways right? I am talking about this intelligence of the house.

As Einstien said " you cannot solve a problem with same thinking as what you did to figure it out! * amen!!

addendum:as well my first post talks about tracking pirated copies moving over internet , not explicitly encryption
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    @Durga, ya correct. Even, if the key is distrbuted, its of no use because its encrypted. only the sole owner has the private key (asymmetric key) to unlock the encrypted key & hence unlock the file with the key!
    And for imparting some more intelligent security, we can think about a specific software which will encapsulate the file & provide layers of security over the file!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

========================================================= Journal of Emerging Trends in Computing and Information Sciences Call for Research Papers Journal of Emerging Trends in Computing and Information Sciences- An International Journal ISSN: 2079-8407 ========================================================= Dear...
I have observed something today , I have observed that there is option to set background image for google page for our login. It is taking sometime to load though!
Hi , I have a project topic which flashed my mind....but not sure whether its possible or not. For files to be transfered from one usb to another, we require...
I'm simply copy-pasting them from our inbox. Engineering standards in India should go up. See - Name: Anoop | Contact Phone: 96XXXXX67 | CE ID: an---l I wish to work...
Just curious to know Is there anyone here who go for a walk or do some exercise daily?