One-way mechanism similar to freewheel?

Hi all,

I'm working on a device which greatly resembles an e-brake handle. The user grabs the handle, pulls it up, and cannot push it back down unless a release of sorts is triggered.

I'd like to improve the device by removing the ratcheting function and replacing it with a one-way toothless ratchet (I think it's called a freewheel?). This eliminates the "slop" caused by teeth and gives smoother operation.

Problem is  I don't know where to start with this.

Are there other "one way" devices that I could adopt? Are there existing designs for toothless ratchets available?

Any help is appreciated!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Free wheel has the teeth inside. You can consider some sort of friction plate like a clutch.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

What I suggested may need some elaboration. What I am getting at is some kind of friction drive riding on the circumference of the ‘free wheel’, which engages the edge in one direction and disengages in the reverse direction. 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have completed my graduation in 2017 and have 1 year of experience in Android application development. Should I join PGDAC course. Will I get enough calls for placements. Will...
I want to do a project on current problems. Anyone have any good project idea please mention.
Here's a quick explanation of the difference between vibration sensors
I have recently completed electrical engineering and I want to know that what will be the best thing to do now which will help me in future.