one project can be made by mechanichal students...

electricity generation by using air flows in railway junctions when trains are passed,

when train passed in rail near the rail have high speed of flowing of air,depending on speed of train.if wind mils are placed near to rails n connected to generator there have good possibilities to generate electrycity..

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    anjali zendre
    there have good possibilities to generate electrycity..
    I am afraid not at all. You may feel a wind if you put your hand outside the window of a moving train. Even at a distance of less than two meters from the surface of the train there will be virtually no air flow even at 250 KMpH. There will be a Prandtl layer of air in contact with the train's surface that will move at the train's speed. This drops to zero fairly quickly. Most trains will cross a point in a few seconds. The generator will work only for that time afterwards it will be idle.
    The discussion is academic anyway since there is no flow of air a few cm beyond the surface.
  • Mohit Kamat
    Mohit Kamat
    I guess a better option would be to include turbines in the train's design which will be connected to generators...I don't know how fast the train should be moving to generate power...but my idea is to power the train apparatus and lights and fans with these turbines..
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    There is no free lunch. The energy so produced will always be less than the extra fuel used by the locomotive. Second law of thermodynamics will not allow free power generation.
  • Mohit Kamat
    Mohit Kamat
    A.V.Ramani
    extra fuel used by the locomotive.
    #-Link-Snipped-# : are u implying the air drag that will be produced?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Not the drag alone. Since energy cannot be created by itself, the power generated by the generator has to come from the motion of the train. All fast moving vehicles are specifically designed aerodynamically to minimize losses.
  • Mohit Kamat
    Mohit Kamat
    Well i was trying to replicate what a windmill does at high relative velocity of air...
  • Mohit Kamat
    Mohit Kamat
    Well i was trying to replicate what a windmill does at high relative velocity of air...
  • Mohit Kamat
    Mohit Kamat
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Mohit Kamat
    There is nothing wrong with the concept. You will generate power. Not free power though.
    The issue is that we will not be harvesting any wasted energy by doing that.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If owning a Lamborghini isn’t enough to impress your special someone, you might need to migrate from iPhone. Tonino Lamborghini Tauri has unveiled its luxury smartphone-88 Tauri. Made in Italy,...
Hi, I'm new here. I searched this place when I try searching for a good forums for engineering.
Hello Ceans My neighbors in my street have electric generator whose noise cause a lot of noise pollution in my street, so today when we talked about them I suggested...
hiii....i am an engineer at steel company. I wanted to ask can anybody tell me how can i design de-dusting system for a movable shuttle conveyor. the main problem is...
Time and again we hear about hackers stealing passwords in huge numbers. Whether it is a concentrated attack on a particular organisation or exploiting a widespread flaw, internet users are...