OLED Technology & Power Consumption

OLED technology is on its way to becoming mainstream technology in displays. LG recently introduced #-Link-Snipped-# and I'm quite sure that other companies will follow. Referring to Wikipedia article, it looks like OLED is designed to consume lesser power than LCD.

Oled -
While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image which is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 60–80% of the power of an LCD: however it can use over three times as much power to display an image with a white background such as a document or website.

What really makes OLEDs consume lesser power?

Replies

• aarthivg
    aarthivg
    The_Big_K
    OLED technology is on its way to becoming mainstream technology in displays. LG recently introduced #-Link-Snipped-# and I'm quite sure that other companies will follow. Referring to Wikipedia article, it looks like OLED is designed to consume lesser power than LCD.

Oled -
    While an OLED will consume around 40% of the power of an LCD displaying an image which is primarily black, for the majority of images it will consume 60–80% of the power of an LCD: however it can use over three times as much power to display an image with a white background such as a document or website.

What really makes OLEDs consume lesser power?
    OLEDs do not require a backlight to function. Thus they draw far less power.When powered from a battery, can operate longer on the same charge.

Read more: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm failing to understand whether the engineering & technology industry is doing well or not. Thanks to the confusing reports by the leading media that does not give us any...
Just wondering whether we have engineers who're planning to start their own full-time or part-time venture in 2012. It could just a part-time activity that you want to turn into...
The journey of entrepreneurship is full of good and bad experiences. Why not share our good experiences in the journey? Let me start by sharing my own experience which I...
Most of the entrepreneurs dream of breaking even right in the first month or I'd say "as fast as possible". But often, finding your first customer and actually making your...
I've had a long debate with my friend about laptops being used for 'privacy' over 'mobility'. Let's face it, laptop gives you a way to hide your screen from the...