CrazyEngineers
  • Mangesh4438
    Mangesh4438

MemberSep 23, 2011

Ohm law

Ohm says i=v/r but at some condition current increases then voltage decreases how is that?
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • born_star16

MemberSep 23, 2011

There are some electrical circuits which do not obey Ohm's law. For example, the p-n junction diode. In the p-n junction diode, current does not increase linearly with applied voltage. This happens because the value of "resistance" is not constant as a function of applied voltage. Further, the current only increases significantly if the applied voltage is positive, not negative.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Alienator

MemberSep 23, 2011

Mangesh4438
    Ohm says i=v/r but at some condition current increases then voltage decreases how is that?
    check out the limitations of ohm's law....
    Cancel
  • magnatron

MemberSep 23, 2011

may be the resistance decreases.. 😛 active devices such as transistors, diodes etc will not obey ohm's law
    Cancel
  • Oleg Arcadewhich

MemberSep 23, 2011

Mangesh4438
    Source resistance. When load resistance decreases, current increases, and voltage drop at source side appears. For example:V battery= 14,4VR lamp = 4 OhmR starter = 0.144 OhmR internal of a battery= 0.024 OhmI1=Vbat/(Rlamp+Rbat)=3,57A Vlamp=Vbat-I1*Rbat=14.28VI2= Vbat/(Rstarter+Rbat)=85,7AVstarter= Vbat-I2*Rbat=12,34V
    Cancel
  • Arp

MemberSep 24, 2011

have you not ever come across varistors or non-linear resistors or lightening arrestors.
    we can have material to follow ohm law only in the range we want by design and then can vary itsbehaviour with voltage.
    Cancel
  • Ramani Aswath

MemberSep 25, 2011

Mangesh4438
    If you are talking about real circuits the culprit may be the impedance of the source. The out put voltage of some power supplies could be higher when the load has a high resistance than when it has a low resistance. Ohm's law is still obeyed if one considers the total resistance, that is, source resistance plus load resistance.

P.S. Sorry, did not notice that Oleg had covered this already.
    Cancel
  • u_know_who

MemberSep 29, 2011

Ohm's law is created for conductor : The current flow to a conductor at a constant temperature and for a fixed material is proportional to the voltage applied across the conductor. Didode is not that conductor ohm mentioned.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register