CrazyEngineers
  • cshmech
    cshmech

MemberOct 30, 2008

Offset Crank..

What are the advantages of using "Offsetted Crank" technology in recent IC engines.. May i know which cars have implemented this concept??
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • zaveri

MemberApr 19, 2012

what is an offsetted crank in the first place.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • mechky

MemberApr 19, 2012

1. Friction loss of piston skirt is significantly reduced and ultimately fuel economy is increased.
    2. Longer power stroke. Longer intake stroke than exhaust stroke which improves aspiration of engine.
    3. Increased inertia forces due to increase in piston velocity.

This is still being researched. I am not aware of and I don't think that any cars would have implemented it.
    Cancel
  • zaveri

MemberApr 21, 2012

a crank is something offset in itself. now how much offset do you guys intend it to be ? the advantages which mechky has stated are achieved also with the traditional crankshaft, isnt it ?
    Cancel
  • mechky

MemberApr 21, 2012

zaveri
    a crank is something offset in itself. now how much offset do you guys intend it to be ? the advantages which mechky has stated are achieved also with the traditional crankshaft, isnt it ?
    [​IMG]
    This is what offset crankshaft means.
    Cancel
  • zaveri

MemberApr 21, 2012

thanx mechky
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register