Office Chairs ought to be re-engineered or not?

Considering the fact that Indians (and non-Indians) are getting more and more un-healthier each day, thanks to all the upwanted stuff we go through daily, I was wondering if someone has to redesign the concept of office chair. I mean, come on, how long can you sit in one position for 8 hours (in some cases more), and stare at the computer? Does this cause any hip/spine problems in the future?

If you've seen the latest edition of the movie "Transformers", you'd have seen an office where they use a jumping ball to sit. Is this a better option?

A lot of software engineers are always hooked up to their gadgets 24/7 and this often requires a certain relaxation. Do you get new ideas/innovation while sitting in front of a desktop in your office?

P.S.: Hoping to hear a mixed response here.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Well, I've mixed feelings on this. I believe a better chair design is required but I'm not sure how they can be re-engineered. The chairs that offer a better lumber support are desired and I recommend them to everyone. I've even considered bean bags - but it's comfortable only for short time (results into back pain if used for extended hours).
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I wonder why office goers have not responded here. Hoping to hear you reviews about the monotonous lifestyle of desk job workers here!
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Yes I use this type of chair while working on laptop.But If i want to relax I definitely opt for sofa/bed.
    It was like a playing /sitting on a rotatable toy.It was not confortable as bed or sofa.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I used to think that bean bags are very comfortable. One could sit, stretch legs, lay back on it. But it seems, I was wrong. One can't really feel comfy on a bean bag.
    I think they have really good office chairs in furniture marts. The back is concave in the middle and convex at the corner sides. It is quite relaxing, especially when you have back pain.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Bean Bags = Backache in 3 months.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Automatic massage chair.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ash
    Automatic massage chair.
    = Big hole in the bank account. ๐Ÿ˜–
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    ash
    Automatic massage chair.
    +1 to that. The ones that they have at the saloons. I would love to have one at the workstation.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    = Big hole in the bank account. ๐Ÿ˜–
    Good investment for the company ๐Ÿ˜
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    CSK AUTO
    Yes I use this type of chair while working on laptop.But If i want to relax I definitely opt for sofa/bed.
    It was like a playing /sitting on a rotatable toy.It was not confortable as bed or sofa.
    I Second CSK. I would like my Sofa/Bed. ๐Ÿ˜› Also good suggestion #-Link-Snipped-# I will look at that too. ๐Ÿ˜
  • lal
    lal
    What if the automatic massager makes you too comfortable and you slip to sleep? ๐Ÿ˜
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    The automatic massager is way out of league for normal employees. I guess the managers could use then to relieve off some stress. However, if something effective is not done, then we'll have a huge number of back-broken oldies in the next 30 years after all of us present today have grown old!

What about using water for filling up the chairs? Will it soothen the sit? Or does soft cotton foam work better?โ˜•
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    On a different line of thinking, you know how at gyms there are TVs attached to exercise bikes? Is it possible that people can actually concentrate on work if you put a laptop on it while working out your legs?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    ๐Ÿ˜ You guyz are really talking about crazy Ideas, ๐Ÿ˜
    Sofa / bed / Automatic massage chair - Are we really talking about the office chairs or chairs at fun stop.

I think a comfortable chair which allows you to sit without back pain for some 3-4 hours should be good enough for office (saying 3-4 hours as in every 2 hours we should have a walk). Too much of a comfortable chair will distract you from your work.

Am I talking absurd?

-CB
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    why there is need for innovation in chair in office.its seems u want a new kind of bed in room..
    like jumping ball ..lol๐Ÿ˜

Rather we should discuss about new way of working in office.
    if laptop is in front of us,why need for Automatic massage chair.
    which kind of message do you want from chair?๐Ÿ˜ก
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    ash
    On a different line of thinking, you know how at gyms there are TVs attached to exercise bikes? Is it possible that people can actually concentrate on work if you put a laptop on it while working out your legs?
    At gym you watch TV while working-out all that stress. At your office you don't need a TV. And if you do happen to watch 'something' through the internet, then it's time your network engineer disabled some sites (unless you're the manager). For people who need to think or design at work, a normal office swivel chair won't be enough. For others who analyse and monitor, a fairly comfortable seating angle is required otherwise it's often a pain-in-the-ass situation!

crazyboy
    ๐Ÿ˜ You guyz are really talking about crazy Ideas, ๐Ÿ˜
    Sofa / bed / Automatic massage chair - Are we really talking about the office chairs or chairs at fun stop.

I think a comfortable chair which allows you to sit without back pain for some 3-4 hours should be good enough for office (saying 3-4 hours as in every 2 hours we should have a walk). Too much of a comfortable chair will distract you from your work.

Am I talking absurd?

-CB
    You're right. But do you get that comfort for 3 to 4 hours with a swivel chair or would you prefer a normal chair with 4 legs?

Apurwa.Thakur
    why there is need for innovation in chair in office.its seems u want a new kind of bed in room..
    like jumping ball ..lol๐Ÿ˜

Rather we should discuss about new way of working in office.
    if laptop is in front of us,why need for Automatic massage chair.
    which kind of message do you want from chair?๐Ÿ˜ก
    Being comfortable at work boosts the performance. If you have a boring job that requires great analytical skills and cup loads of coffee at late night working scenario, then I bet you'd have a different story to share!
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    The chairs must not be redesigned for comfort - or else people won't want to go home!!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Anand Tamariya
    The chairs must not be redesigned for comfort - or else people won't want to go home!!!
    ๐Ÿ˜ Interesting logic. I think I'll note this down in CE's expansion & hiring plan.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    1 2

Do they need re-engineering of the chair ? I doubt it.
    I haven't worked in office, so I don't know how it feels sticking your butt on chair for constant 6-8 hours.But, My chair in home is worse, so I guess I won't be crying for chair re-engineering ๐Ÿ˜
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    There are many things outside home which can give us comfort,what does it mean all people won't wanna go home.It is may not be interesting logic @big k.do not compare home comfort with comfortable chair..๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : I didn't come up with that logic you see. #-Link-Snipped-# did.
  • Apurwa.Thakur
    Apurwa.Thakur
    but you told this is interesting logic..n it is not even logic.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Well, #-Link-Snipped-# you hit the spot, man! Sitting on a chair for 9 continuous hours is literally a pain in the ass! What I do is I lay back on it or rotate it, that helps some but at the end of the day it is anything but comfy! Though I liked the idea of massage chair, it's time to talk to my manager....๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Pensu
    Well, #-Link-Snipped-# you hit the spot, man! Sitting on a chair for 9 continuous hours is literally a pain in the ass! What I do is I lay back on it or rotate it, that helps some but at the end of the day it is anything but comfy! Though I liked the idea of massage chair, it's time to talk to my manager....๐Ÿ˜‰
    I'm so annoyed with this chair. I've tried various positions, bending stretching, alying at various angles, folding one leg on top of the chair, and even stretching the back of the chair to it's breaking point ...I can't seem to handle it!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The chair I've is totally comfortable. I've been on the uncomfortable ones so know the difference. The idea is to first adjust the height of the chair and second - the height of the armrest (if possible).

The lumbar support is quite important and you've to be very selective about the back rest.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The chair I've is totally comfortable. I've been on the uncomfortable ones so know the difference. The idea is to first adjust the height of the chair and second - the height of the armrest (if possible).

The lumbar support is quite important and you've to be very selective about the back rest.
    The truth is, as 'employees', most people won't have a say about the chair they 'want' to sit on in an office!
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Kaustubh Katdare

I would like to see how does your chair look! How about sharing a pic?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    anoopthefriend
    I'm so annoyed with this chair. I've tried various positions, bending stretching, alying at various angles, folding one leg on top of the chair, and even stretching the back of the chair to it's breaking point ...I can't seem to handle it!
    I agree to it.I really feel comfortable for only a few minutes.A little later I feel some discomfort again.I really want the engineers to be so inventive in chairs so that many people will work without pain and discomfort
  • Smell Smoke
    Smell Smoke
    Nice Topic.

Even i have often given a thought about making an investment on the place i sit for more than 7 hours a day. But Till date, i have not prioritized it ๐Ÿ˜›. If you guys bring out good ideas, it would be helpful for me as well. Re Engineering the chair should be done. But what more can we add economically is the real question. People please provide what all accessories can we add to the normal chair to make it more comfortable.

๐Ÿ˜€
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    W
    Smell Smoke
    Nice Topic.

Even i have often given a thought about making an investment on the place i sit for more than 7 hours a day. But Till date, i have not prioritized it ๐Ÿ˜›. If you guys bring out good ideas, it would be helpful for me as well. Re Engineering the chair should be done. But what more can we add economically is the real question. People please provide what all accessories can we add to the normal chair to make it more comfortable.

๐Ÿ˜€
    Well for starters, I'd love to have a tablet/phablet/ordinary smartphone holder for my workstation chair which I use at home. Actual it'd be great if this concept was brought forth for bedside use as well - but that's another topic we can discuss about.

Coming to office chairs, I'd love to see more cushion and a sports feel. Never really understood the point of working in an office with full sleeved shirts and tuck ins. How many of you can really sit on your office chair for like say 2 hours with tuck ins and full sleeve shirts?? Wonder how managers make important decisions wearing coats and suits all tied up to the neck. I feel that you can improve productivity if the employees were given more freedom to sit freely rather than hold their muscles to hide their tummies (don't tell me you're a software engineer / some-desk-working-employee who has not grown a tad fatter because of your slacky office routine!)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Bacteria eat some of the weirdest things for which we should all be deeply grateful. Some of the things on a bacterian McDonald's can be found here; https://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/131918
A huge black hole has been found at the centre of the galaxy NGC 1277. There are other even more massive ones around. What makes this special is that unlike...
I'm sure all the Android users here will have whatsapp messenger installed on their mobile phones. The free messaging apps's taken over the world of mobile phones. The app is...
In which programming / scripting language Google + (plus) is written ? I tried to search on web , looked into about ten pages ,but no where i found the...
In communication, while transmit the message signal to the optimum receiver like MAP & ML, why we have to convert the the message signal from waveform to vector form?