Off Pocket Phone Case Hides You From GPS, Wi-Fi & Cellular Networks

Those of you looking for a break from the 'always connected' Universe should check out a new kickstarter project called 'Off Pocket'. It's a special phone case that will shield you from all the networks & signals - from GPS & WiFi to your regular cellular networks. In short, 'Off Pocket' is a signal-proof phone case, brainchild of Brooklyn based geek Adam Harvey & fashion designer Johanna Bloomfield.

offpocket

You might wonder why not just enable the certain modes [Viz Airplane mode, turn Wi-Fi off and turn GPS receiver off] to achieve the same result? Well, in electronic world, things aren't that simple. Electronic Frontier Foundation technologist, Seth Schoen explains to NY Times that these modes allow the device autonomously if certain conditions are met. These could be as simple as pressing a certain key or even receiving certain data over the Internet or a wired Ethernet connection.

Off Pocket phone case prevents signals from reaching to your device and thus offering complete shielding from all types of networks. It's essentially a 'Faraday cage'. The case forms a weak Faraday cage can be formed using an empty can and a piece of aluminum foil.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    It can be a treat to those who want to be alone without any hastle life but it can create a big security threat.
    I want to know whether this cage can offer help to terrorist where police use imei number to trace them .Do this off pocket play as hinderance to safety.
  • lovebox
    lovebox
    CSK AUTO
    It can be a treat to those who want to be alone without any hastle life but it can create a big security threat.
    I want to know whether this cage can offer help to terrorist where police use imei number to trace them .Do this off pocket play as hinderance to safety.
    #-Link-Snipped-# - This is akin to switching off your cellular-phone. Even you cannot use it for communication if it is in the case.
    I mean, a terrorist or any other person can simply switch the phone off to avoid getting traced.

On the other hand, I would like to know from other members what could tempt me to buy such a case given the fact that I can simply switch-off my cellular-phone when I need to be aloof?
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    What is the point of making this i am still wondering. It should definitely have some purpose. Judging from its looks and brands and stuff, this stuff should be around 50-100$.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    lovebox
    #-Link-Snipped-# - This is akin to switching off your cellular-phone. Even you cannot use it for communication if it is in the case.
    I mean, a terrorist or any other person can simply switch the phone off to avoid getting traced.

On the other hand, I would like to know from other members what could tempt me to buy such a case given the fact that I can simply switch-off my cellular-phone when I need to be aloof?
    I want to make it clear ji.When a terrorist wants to use it as a shield from cybercrime can they use this case becausw it was said that they cant be found also by wifi,gps,networks.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    CSK AUTO
    I want to make it clear ji.When a terrorist wants to use it as a shield from cybercrime can they use this case becausw it was said that they cant be found also by wifi,gps,networks.
    Well tracking involves tracking the RF signals they emit this shield removes it I think that move is not so wise and we will see a ban to this gadget in a short time
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    i dont understand, why the manufacturer has officially released a product which has more utilities in illegal activities or crimes. Plus I dont find it useful for normal person's daily life at all
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Normal people working in highly sensitive places like hospital and stuff find it a little useful But the negative side is too high profiled when compared to the benefits

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, Do we have any CEan who is dealing in CAD and product casing design domain? I need some information about CAD design how can I use CAD design to...
main() { int *ptr=(int*)malloc(sizeof(int)); *ptr=4; printf("%d",(*ptr)+++*ptr++);
I am currently doing Undergraduate Course in E&TC 3rd year in Pune which language should I study any programming language .. objective c and python are good option since I...
Hey. Now that I am a proud member of the engineering workforce of India, I find my old '08 blackberry becoming more obsolescent by the day. I am in the...
Well i just observed that i m getting some trophies for my post count and ratings. Can anyone tell me the criteria for advancing to the next level. I saw...