Now thought controlled robots are reality...

Have you seen popular Hollywood movie: Surrogates. If yes, you must be wondering that Bruce Willis was struggling in a world dominated by realistic robots that were controlled by humans sitting comfortably in somewhere else. When I watched the movie, I just imagined that how the Hollywood directors live in a fantasy world.

But I was proved wrong today, when a team of researchers based in laboratories around the globe, have developed a system similar to the one depicted in the film. This development team used a FMRI (Functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging) machine to allow a person to control a robot's movements simply by thinking of a command. The brain's blood flow was monitored, and the FMRI machine can detect neural activity associated with various commands, such as movement.

In a recent demonstration of the technology, the team had a human subject sitting in a lab in Israel control a small robot in another lab located in France.

The consortium, operating under the collective name VERE (Virtual Embodiment and Robotic Re-embodiment project), includes scientists from Italy, Spain, Germany, Austria, France, Switzerland, the U.K., Portugal, and Israel. The most recent demonstration video shows Shapira controlling a tiny humanoid robot roughly two-feet tall, but the group hopes to conduct future tests with the HRP4 robot, a human-sized robot that would give the human operator an even greater sense of experiencing the world through a robot's

Not sure where the science is going, is there any limit to it?

-CB

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    HRP4 Robo:
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    No comments?
    Do you think that I am also in fantasy world?? ๐Ÿ˜ I am not and this is the reality now.
  • nitesh mishra
    nitesh mishra
    if surrogates are possible then world will be awesome .
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    nitesh mishra
    if surrogates are possible then world will be awesome .
    There would be Pros n Cons of that.
    But before that, would it be really possible to make a realistic robot which can literally replace human being in everything including thought process and emotions.

-CB
  • nitesh mishra
    nitesh mishra
    sir why not because if a human is possible then why not a realistic robot because in reality our body is also a machine . you can never put limitations on science .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Have completed my n+ and ccna training,now preparing for cert.But still in a dilemma, are these certs really helpful spending nearly 20k bucks on them? I have been looking for...
Hai this is govind from vizag ,studying 4th mechanical .I am here to know some important topics about future projects ,i hope this site helps me for some extent.
hai this govind ,iam here to know about the project work regarding refrigerants .
Howdy! VoiCE is CrazyEngineers' blog on global latest news in engineering & technology read by thousands of techno-enthusiasts every day including decision makers, CEO, CTOs, Product Managers from all over...
Hello everyone, what is the career option in Agricultural Science and Technology Programme. Will it has good remuneration?