Non Latin Web Addresses: How does that sound?

ICANN [Internet corporation for assigned names & numbers] is now going to allow website addresses in non-latin script. That means very soon, we'll see website addresses in Hindi, Chinese, Arabic, Russian etc. 😁

Currently, domain names can only be displayed using the Latin alphabet letters A-Z, the digits 0-9 and the hyphen, but in the future countries will be able to display country-code Top Level Domains (cc TLDs) in their native language.

What say you, folks?

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    It's great
    I am very anxious to see the first domain in hindi..actually i want...
    infact I am also think about compiler ..that will support programming in hindi language
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    happy to see internet literature going away from Latin base, but umm.. I am doubtful about contents. I mean, when i search for a content and its on some other language page , then how am I going to ever come to know about it?is it not limiting the availablity of knowledge?

is it only the domain names which would be non english or the page contents as well?
    if page contents are as well non english! oh boy! that would be sad ( I already soemtimes get frustated when i see the material what I search for is in some foriegn language)
  • safwan
    safwan
    THEIR might be confusion like two web having same name one in (for eg.) english and other in hindi.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    hey what kind of confusion safan
    can you please tell me any word ie lany word which will be same as in Hindi?
  • yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    it will be great to have web addresses in hindi...
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Actually it's on for years ago but not popular, there's already websites domains in Arabic, Japanese & Russian as parked domains not actual websites & guess how much they earn!
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    It will be the biggest trouble,
    having keyboards to type in non-English languages.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    mahesh_dahale
    It will be the biggest trouble,
    having keyboards to type in non-English languages.
    what a coincidence..I was also about to ask same thing today..😛
  • MaRo
    MaRo
    Guys, I think you'd have known there's something called Unicode it's in your PCs you can use it to write virtually any language.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It is to inform you guys that my college is organizing tech fest.. for all you guys are invited to my college ..Please come and visit it... click here for...
I personally think the idea is cool. However, do we really need non-latin domain names? If you don't know what we're talking about, look here: https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum...in-web-addresses-how-does-sound-new-post.html
Hi Pal, I am planning for national level paper presentation on dataware housing. Kindly suggest me hot topic on Data warehousing.
Hello! I came upon your slice of the internet while looking for somewhere to get some help with a brainchild I've been entertaining in my head. Basically, it's a paintball...
can anybody suggest me a good hvac site wher frm i can get hvac software and study material in pdf format