Nokia Here / Maps at Street Level

I was on the bus to the train station earlier today, and I noticed a small ford hatchback with large Nokia decals buzzing passed. What caught my attention was the fact there were cameras on it's roof, similar to the Google Street View camera cars.

Turns out Nokia has been working on competing against Google's Street View, albeit with a different concept. Instead of capturing just images, they also perform 3D scanning with LIDAR and slope data with IMUs. The data obtain is highly detailed and can also be used for more intelligent voice navigation.

They also already have live traffic updates apparently, taking information from anonymized GPS data. Live traffic updates is an awesome feature in Google Maps, saves a lot of hassle when trying to plan routes during rush hours.

Does anyone with a Nokia phone can verify the functionality of the Street Level view?

More info Nokia Maps digitises streets to battle Google's threat - BBC News

It would be great to see strong competition against Google Maps, it will certainly drive (pun intended) more innovation for navigation apps for consumers.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

through cdac 2013 . i got IACSD pune in first councilling. i want to know placents from this centre . i"m confused whether i should join this course ... plz...
Well we have some serious haters of social media and serious fans of social media in CE I think this place is the best place to have a debate on...
This guy is using Google Now feature to voice recognition for command and NFC also. Controlling door lock, setting A/C temperature, Computer On/Off, even making popcorn ๐Ÿ‘ . It's just...
Nokia has made official the launch of the new smartphone Nokia Lumia 625, which it fondly calls 'The Hero of the Big Screen' in a press release. And rightly so,...
As the monsoon wrecks havoc in many cities in India, people will be missing the bright summer sun. But what if you stay in a town where the sun goes...