Nokia C3-01 Detailed Review Of Hardware, Software And Features

Nokia is really finding tough in the Indian market because of the low-price-high-value phones we see today. So, it is coming out with a few innovations of its own. Bringing in the N8 (I just love it, my heart misses a beat when I hear her name!), then the X series, then the C3, it is matching up and boosting in the market a lot. But Nokia is not satisfied. It has now launched the Nokia C3-01, also known as the Nokia C3-Touch and Type.

The first look on the phone gives you a nostalgic ride into the time when the oldies like the 6300 and 6700 classic use to rule the wireless world. But looks are deceiving here. The screen has a change, a welcome one! It is a 2.4 inch resistive touch screen. Yet, you see the keypad, which is the traditional 12key number pad. Nowadays, we find a lot of people who suffer from electronic ailments like touch-o-phobia or a qwerty-o-phobia (sorry, I never mean to help you people with that disease, I am going to give you good news). Nokia aims at bringing more and more people out of the ‘security’ of the old age keypad by giving them a taste of the touch screen, without letting them wander out of the “safety” and “comforts” of the num-pad. So, ladies and gentlemen, here is the ‘cure’ for touch-o-phobia, the Nokia C3-01!

As the touch screen is the highlighting factor, let’s discuss that first. You can name it as the fastest resistive touch screen money can buy. Yes, we know that they can not be compared with the capacitive counterparts, but for a low budget phone, this is all we want. Resistive touch screens are known to be pesky little things which annoy you well enough that you may bang the phone to the ground (Conditions apply- You have to be as impatient as I am.) But Nokia, here, have tweaked it such that you will love it. It has a very satisfactory performance.

#-Link-Snipped-#
Nokia C3-01

Talking about the screen, we need to say something about the looks of the screen. Its home-screen items like themes, icons and short cuts are all customizable, not to mention its profiles. Other things which would take your attention are the various formats of music which you can use as ringtones. Ringtones of mp3, AAC, eAAC, eAAC+, WMA and 64-tone polyphonic types can be used. It also has a provision of video ringtones. Now I needed one of those! Now, as we have partially scratched the surface of multi media, let’s chat about that!

With this phone, you can play a lot of video, like MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, 3GP, and mp4 (this being default). It supports downloading, streaming and progressive download. And well, what do you know, it even supports .nfl(net freaks will find a smile on their faces). Yes, FlashLite content video is also supported.

Enough with the seeing and hearing part! Let’s give some rest to our eyes and play some music. It is because this phone gives you a provision of playing mp3, AAC, eAAC, eAAC+ and WMA. Isn’t that what you all need? It has a Media Player with metadata ID3 tags and album art support (Eyebrow raised). It has Ovi Music support (Its Nokia!)Its music part has the following other items of attraction like Equalizer, Stereo widening, Customizable media player theme, to name a few. There is also a stereo FM radio in it.

There is something else which is interesting about a multimedia phone. It’s the camera. This beauty has a lot of it! 😉 It has a 5.0Megapixel camera, and it’s astonishing to know that it comes with an LED flash. The camera is really very nice. It has a dedicated camera key and along with that, there is extended depth of focus, 4X zoom and it has good camera clarity. The perks in the camera are Image rotation, self-timer, and white balance and colour tone effect settings. And this phone is the best example of sharing. You can directly upload pictures to Facebook via WLAN and 3.5G.Now, ain’t that really nice of Nokia!  Video recording is available, with default as mp4 format and for MMS, you can record in 3gp.

Browsing is also a point to be discussed about C3-01.  Full web browsing of real web pages is ready here!

Web browsing is here with touch control. Video streaming is another specification which caught my eye! Adobe FlashLite support, I told you, is available. Java support is not something to be boasted about nowadays, as you see it in every phone. But hey, C3-01 also has it! HTML, XHTML MP, WML, CSS are all supported. Supported protocols are HTTP v1.1, WAP. Then there is the usual Nokia Mobile Search and Ovi Store for application downloads. The RSS reader, support for streaming video and Nokia XPressPrint will raise eyebrows!

The memory support is another thing you have to take a look at. It has 32MB of internal memory and there is a MicroSD memory card slot, hot swappable, which extends the 32MBs up to 32 GB .

All these and much, much more comes in a price of about INR 9000. Hmmm! Better put on your thinking cap before you buy! For people whou want looks more than anything else, does this phone satisfy you? But for people like me, hey, it is fully loaded. If you ask me, it is a smart buy. The old classic look, clubbed with the NEW! A combination which I will NEVER let go!

I think I have left out a lot of things about this sleek babe. If you think I have, please look at the list which goes down from here!
Design

•    Dimensions
# Size: 111 x 47.5 x 11 mm
# Weight (with battery): 100 g

•    Display and user interface
# Screen size: 2.4?
# Resolution: 240 x 320
# Up to 262,000 colours
# Resistive touch screen

•    Keys and input methods
# 2.4? touch screen
# Full keypad
# Call and end keys
# Dedicated camera key
# Dedicated volume keys
# Side-mounted lock key
# Colours

Available colours:
Warm grey
Silver
Khaki gold

•    Personalisation
# Customisable home screen:
-themes
-icons
-shortcuts
-menu
# Customisable profiles
# Ringtones: mp3, AAC, eAAC, eAAC+, WMA and 64-tone polyphonic
# Video ringtones
# Themes
#wallpapers
#screensavers
#changeable pre-installed themes

Hardware
•    Power Management
# BL-5CT 1050 mAh Li-ion battery
# 2G
-Standby time:405 hours
-Talk time: 5 hours 30 mins
# 3G
-Standby time:440 hours
-Talk time: 4 hours
-Music playback: up to 20 hours

•    Memory
# MicroSD memory card slot, hot swappable, up to 32 GB card supported
# Internal memory: 30 MB

•    Operating frequency
# Quad band EGSM 850/900/1800/1900
# WCDMA 850/900/1900/2100
# Automatic switching between bands
# Flight mode

•    Data network
# Dual-transfer mode GPRS
# EGPRS class B, multislot class 32, maximum speed 296 kpbs downlink/177.6 kbps uplink
# EGPRS class B, multislot class 33, maximum speed 296 kpbs downlink/236.8 kbps uplink
# HSDPA category 9, maximum speed up to 10.2 Mbps
# HSUPA category 5, maximum speed up to 2 Mbps
# Wi-Fi-WLAN 802.11 b,g,n

•    Connectivity
# 2 mm charger connector
# Stereo Bluetooth version 2.1 with Enhanced Data Rate
# High-Speed USB 2.0 (micro USB connector)
# USB charging
# 3.5 mm AV connector

Software & Applications
•    Software platform & user interface
# Series 40 6th edition
# Firmware update over the air (FOTA)
# Speech codecs: HR, FR, EFR
# Voice commands
# Automatic rotation
# Software updates

•    Applications
# Email (SMTP, IMAP4, POP3), MMS, SMS, unified editor
# Calendar, Contacts, To-do, Notes, E-mail
# Instant Messaging
# Social networking (Facebook, Twitter)
# Ovi Suite
# Ovi Sync
# Ovi Store
# Converter
# Size converter
# Web Search
# Countdown timer
# Stopwatch
# World clock
# My Nokia
# Nokia OSS internet browser

•    Personal Information Management (PIM)
# Detailed contact information
# Calendar
# To-do list
# Notes
# Voice recorder
# Calculator
# Clock

Communications
•    Email and messaging
# Easy-to-use email client: Nokia Messaging Service
# Supported for SMTP, IMAP4, POP3, MMS, SMS. Unified MMS/SMS editor
# Instant messaging through Nokia Messaging Service, with support for many chat services providers
# Nokia Xpress audio messaging
# Flash messaging

•    Call management
# Contacts: advanced contacts database with support for multiple phone and email details per entry and thumbnail pictures
Speed dialling
# Logs of dialled, received and missed calls
# Integrated handsfree speakers
# Top contacts widget
Sharing & Internet

•    Browsing and internet
# Full web browsing of real web pages
# Web browsing with touch control
# Support for video streaming
# Adobe FlashLite support
# Java support
# Access to Facebook and Twitter
# Supported markup languages: HTML, XHTML MP, WML, CSS
# Supported protocols: HTTP v1.1, WAP
# Nokia Mobile Search
# RSS reader
# Ovi Store for application downloads
# Support for streaming video
# Nokia XPressPrint: direct printing via USB connection (PictBridge), Bluetooth connectivity (BPP) or via aonline printing

Photography
•    Camera
# 5 megapixel camera (2592 x 1544 pixels)
# LED flash
# Extended depth of focus (EDOF)
# Zoom up to 4x (digital)
# Fullscreen viewfinder
# Still image formats: JPEG
# Noise reduction

•    Image capture
# Image rotation (in the image editing mode or by changing the mode from portrait to landscape)
# Self-timer: picture is captured after 3, 5 or 10 seconds
# White balance and colour tone effect settings
# Upload to Facebook via WLAN and 3.5G
# Share locally via Bluetooth or USB On-The-Go

•    Other
# Image editing on the phone: image rotation, color and contrast optimization, photo warping and other alterations supported
# 48 MB internal memory, up to 16 GB additional memory with microSD card
# High-Speed USB 2.0 On-The-Go
# Bluetooth 2.1 EDR wireless connectivity

Video
•    Video camera
# Video capture in MPEG-4 up to QVGA at 20 fps
# Video clip length: dependent upon available memory
# Video file format: .mp4 (default), .3gp (for MMS)
# Settings for white balance and colour tone effect
# Zoom up to 4x digital

•    Video codecs & formats
# MPEG-4, H.263, H.264, 3GP
# Video file format: .mp4 (default), .3gp (for MMS)
# Video sharing and playback
# MPEG-4, 3GPP: H.263 and H.264 codecs
# Support for download, streaming and progressive download
# Support for .nfl (FlashLite content) video

Music & audio
•    Music features
# Media Player with metadata ID3 tags and album art support
# Ovi Music support
# Music codecs: mp3, AAC, eAAC, eAAC+ and WMA
# Stereo Bluetooth 2.1 support
# Internal speaker
# Equaliser
# Stereo widening
# Customisable media player theme
# DRM support WMDRM10, OMA DRM 2.0

•    Radio
# Stereo FM radio (87.5-108 MHz/76-90 MHz) with RDS support
# Download radio settings from station directory
# Customisable radio theme

Gaming
•    Games
# Included games
-Memorize
-Puzzle it
-Climate Mission
# Use the touch interface to play games
# Download games from Ovi Store

Environmental features

•    Energy efficiency
# Unplug charger reminder, High Efficiency Charger AC-8 Eco content and services
# Eco content and services available at Ovi. Preinstalled Climate Mission game

•    Materials
# Free of PVC, free of nickel on the product surface, free of brominated and chlorinated compounds and free of antimony trioxide as defined in the Nokia Substance List

•    Recycling
# All materials of the device can be recovered as materials and energy
# Device is up to 80% recyclable

•    Packaging
# Made of renewable, up to 52% recycled material. 100% recyclable, reduced compact package size

•    User manual
# Black and white printing, eco tips on Green Page
Package contents

•    Standard Sales Package
# Nokia C3-01
# Nokia Battery BL-5CT
# Nokia Compact Charger AC-8
# Nokia Stereo Headset WH-102
# User guide

Accessories
•    Recommended accessories
# Nokia 16 GB microSDHC Card MU-44
# Nokia Bluetooth Headset BH-108
# Nokia Car Kit CK-100
# Compatible accessories

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Once a program was written for sending internetwork e-mails. That program changed the way how events get logged today. The program is still better known as Sendmail program. Sendmail is...
If you take up engineering project what would be your main goal? Before all the answers like quality, deliverance, cost, etc., I’m sure the project managers out there will give...
CrazyEngineers has already become a part of every life of thousands of engineers across the world. Many CEans spend most of their time daily on CE, reading various discussions, contributing...
As a kid I liked to play with balloons and I used to wonder how balloons grow big when one pumps air into them. Over the years I inflated many...
Windows Vista, the only operating system by Microsoft that caught too much criticism in market as no other software by Microsoft had ever met. When asked why, someone says it...