Nokia Battery Problem ( BL - 5C )

Cellular phone giant Nokia recently announced a major problem with BL-5C batteries. Can anyone here explain ( of course, with technical details ) what went wrong with the batteries?

[โ€‹IMG]

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Oh yes, I had one battery that has that model name for my old phone. But It got busted way before the recall. Basically it bloated up.. which I believe resulted in some leakage.

Im thinking that happens to all lithium based batteries. They can be really hard to keep stable compared to NiCad batteries. I did some research on it once for a competition a while ago, but I forgot ๐Ÿ˜”
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Very interesting topic, Elisa ๐Ÿ˜€ ! Actually I had this question in my mind but never cared to post it here ๐Ÿ˜‰ .

Ash, are you sure that all lithium based batteries have this problem? I don't know much about the battery stuff, but it would be great if someone could enlighten us about it!

Looking forward to more replies.

-The Big K-
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Ah, I think the unstablity is for the Lithium-ion based batteries, not Lithium based in general, sorry ๐Ÿ˜› But Li-Ion is mostly used in laptops, mobiles and any devices that would draw high current at any time. I read that they are dangerous if safety features are not implemented. If the positive and negative terminals are shorted with some accumlation of microscopic metal particles (that may have come during the manufacturing processes), there might result a sudden explosion, or "thermal runaway". There are alot of other factors too like thermal unstablity above a certain temperature.. Anyway, Im not too familiar with the technical details ๐Ÿ˜›

If you are wondering WHY we have this technology if its dangerous in the first place, its because Lithium-Ion based cells provide many advantages over previous technologies, like it can recharged a number of times, has a high energy density and is environmentally safe (good for disposing). I suppose manufaturers do try to find ways to make it safer.. but theres a limit on how well they can do this, plus they still have to consider the cost factor too.

Here's a site with a lot of useful info:

Lithium-ion safety concerns
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    How about contacting a Nokia Engineer & ask him to tell us what went wrong? ๐Ÿ˜

Can anyone help us with this? If yes, shoot a mail to me ๐Ÿ˜

-The Big K-
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Mr. Beychok, could you please throw some light on it? What went wrong with the batteries?

-The Big K-
  • mbeychok
    mbeychok
    The Big K:

Sorry, I don't know anything about the Nokia battery problem. It is way out of my field of expertise. Has anyone tried a Google search? I did a quick search on the phrase "Nokia battery problem" and got 150 hits.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey CE's, recently i found a huge resource of latest computer seminar topics.I think its worth recommending...See for urself https://www.edufive.com/seminartopics/Computer.html Choondu
hello all i would liketo be a member of ur team but in fact i'm just computer engineering student and i want 2 improve my eng. knowledge so i need...
CEans, We are about to complete 2 years of existence on the Internet (on 26th November 2007) & I think its high time we reorganize our beloved CE forum ๐Ÿ˜...
(Source: email forwarded by my friend ๐Ÿ˜ ) Copy-Pasted text- Four men and four women are shipwrecked on a desert island. Eventually each one falls in love with one another,...
how to install linux plz tell me?