Noise made by motors

This thread is about the electric motors that power our household appliances.

Now how come that the motors used in grinders, vacuum cleaners, sewing machines etc make a lot of noise while operating, whereas those used for fans, refrigerators , air conditioners are silent ( or atleast are far less noisy).

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    This may not be the answer but this info could help.I found that fans use a single phase induction motor with capacitor in series but grinders and mixers use a universal motor.Universal motors are compact and can produce or rotate at high speed.It produces high starting torque.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    maybe you are right, because sewing machine motors make a lot of noise and they are universal motors.

by the way what kind of motors are used in refrigerators, ACs and washing machines.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am planning to buy laptop. I hate this secure boot crap, yeah it is possible to disable UEFI secure boot in x86-64 system but not in ARM, but still...
Here is a laudable approach to save animals. Tissue engineering for hamburgers and hand bags. Hear this TED talk: https://www.ted.com/talks/andras_for...mail&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ios-share Quote: By 2050, it will take 100 billion land animals...
Hi guys, Is it possible for guys from CE to form a freelance group say 5-6 people per group and then taking on the projects from various websites. If there...
Meet Venturi VBB-3 - the world's most powerful electric car, currently waiting on the runway in the deserts of Utah, USA for the weather to be nicer. The engineering team...
Stumbled upon the following video that talks about Mercedes Benz magic body control - a dynamic suspension system that hopes to redefine the 'smoothness' of travel (in Mercedes Benz S...