Noise From My Receiver

Hello,
I built an FM receiver for NOAA Weather Radio awhile back. It works pretty well but there's an annoying howl out of the speaker when I turn up the volume about half way or so and up to maximum. The receiver is housed in an aluminum enclosure. The noise seems to go away, almost, when I remove the metal cover and returns when I put it back on. I have a theory, but I'm not sure, as to what's causing the problem.
The receiver is PLL synthesized using a discrete transistor VCO that undoubtedly generates excessive RF in the enclosure. I think the RF is riding into the circuitry on the power supply lines and causing this strange problem that I used to think was a audio problem. It would explain why the noise pretty much goes away when the cover is removed and returns when the cover replaced. The RF is more concentrated in the enclosure when the cover is on...right?
If it's RF interference, would something as simple as placing EMI filters on the power supply lines to critical circuitry solve the problem?
Does anyone out there have experience with this problem?
Thanks,
Thomas...
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Researchers at Yokohama National University in Japan have developed a technique to mass-produce “hair follicle germs” – cellular aggregates that can be implanted into the skin and allowing new hair...
I am currently studying the difference between thermoelectric generators and thermoelectric coolers. I found out that both types use the same kind of material. Then a thermoelectric cooler should be...
Time of Death: New AI Technology Tries To Predict and Prevent Death Time of Death: New AI Technology Tries To Predict and Prevent Death
Engineers from Intel, AMD, and ARM discuss what lies ahead for engineers, and the chip industry in general, in the wake of the Meltdown and Spectre hardware bugs. Chipmakers Discuss...
As thousands of spectators looked on, the rocket, developed by Musk’s firm SpaceX, lifted clear of Cape Canaveral’s launchpad 39a on 6th Feb at 3:45 PM ET, marking what will...