NO SMS Text Policy - Discussions

Discuss the announcement: #-Link-Snipped-# in this thread.

Replies

• Instinctz
    Instinctz
    Now w8 a minute. u mean we cant use 1337 sp3ak?

Sense SMS is a technology and not a style of speaking. (Or Txt'ing)

I can sorta agree, although it almost seems silly to inforce such a rule. I mean where do you draw the line between abbr. and "sms" talk?

I find it hard enough just understanding the non-fluently speaking english folks here. So I suppose its good that its added "sms" talk is not added.

By the way.. where is this site based? Seems everyone and everything I see is india this and indian that... what gives?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    All policies were listed under 'Common Sense' rules, initially - because we expected everyone to use common sense while posting on CE Forums.

The policy was enforced only because were getting flooded with posts like -

hiiii..m..xyz frm del ..n i wana hv sm info abt prjct in telecom
    We aren't against abbreviations. We are against extensive use of them. For example, following text is perfectly fine on CE.

"Hello. I'm xyz from Delhi. I want some info about project in telecom engineering. Btw, I have already searched the forums
    I understand that there can be never ending debates on the line between abbrivations and sms text.

Where is this site based? CE runs on servers based in USA, administered by an engineer on the opposite side of the globe and moderated by engineers from South East Asia, India, Egypt and soon USA.

Majority of the engineers who visit here are from India.
  • Differential
    Differential
    Well, the policy of not using SMS text is absolutely right and we all CEains have been supporting that. But I have to say something about enforcing this policy to new members. If a new member with merely few posts is forced to follow the rules which they feel are strict ( I know they are not ๐Ÿ˜€ ), chances are that (s)he may go away from forum. I hereby suggest that let the new members first be comfortable on forum, and they can be told about rules and importance of following them. ๐Ÿ˜€

What do you guys say?

You have different views? Always welcome ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Guys ,

Its just a very small rule to be followed and anyways few times everyone will do that mistake of using that SMS language .

i feel that its not difficult to type you instead of u.
    and From instead of frm.

Just need a bit of attention and that will do .

what you people say ??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We haven't banned anyone for not following the rule. I hope everyone understands the reason why we have the policy in place.

Yes, it requires a bit of discipline and some extra efforts to press those keys on keyboard. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    *chuckles*

For the new members who haven't read my old sms rant;

No-sms text policy is good. Its simple really. Crazy Engineers is not a social networking site. Its a public forum that unites engineers around to the world to share ideas and assist each other in solving issues. This involves making sure the way we communicate is clear and understandable.

Using sms laden messages on this forum is just bad habit, not a really necessity. The reason why it was used in the first place is so people can fit their messages in the mobile within the limited spaces, as well as reply fast. It is also used in online chatting because its pretty much real time.. which require you to reply fast.

But on CE, you can take all the time you need. The computer is not going to explode if you don't post your message in time. Please consider the fact that not only students are viewing the forum, professional engineers around the world are viewing it too. If you want people to understand what you are trying to say, then make sure you use plain english. Remember that in engineering, it is very important to communicate clearly.

I know it may be hard to change habits, but as long as you have the intention to do it, it'll be alright. Obviously complaining about the policy shows you only care about your own convenience at the expense of others. Big K and the rest of the CE team has been trying very hard to maintain the good image CE has. Just look at the amazing interviews that have been conducted, as well as future ones that will appear soon.

I am a still a student, I still use all the slangs and sms codes in my mobile messaging and MSN with my friends. In CE, you are an engineer. In whatever they do, each engineer is a representative of the whole engineering community. So please make the effort! Even I type in the occasional "lol" here and there, but at least I try my best to type the whole message clearly. You dont need to be verbose or shakespearean in your language. Just clear and simple.

If I was in a more foul mood today, you'll see quite a number of bleeps here and there, in response to the lack of common sense in people. Please don't push it :smile:

Have a good day, CEans :wink:
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Good note ash ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I just registered and would have read many of the posts and think they are very informative. I have a websites and wondering if anyone could help me out...
I have project in which i have to create a soultion which will mantain the temperature of a living space with a volume of 400m3 between 25-30 degrees centigrade. I...
Check this out for your daily commute: Revealed! 720hp, twin-turbocharged V12 Tramontana R - Autoblog Just need $450,000... =)
HI FOLKS, Could any one guide me to a decent article on collecting data with the help of a microcontroller ADC.I had worked with MSP430 microcontrollers for the last year...
Tell me" Reverse-Power Protective Relay using 8051" Send me on