New type of aircraft

#-Link-Snipped-#

[​IMG]

#-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#

does anybody know how to build a lightweight axel type engine.
u would need to know how to build a car and a plane.

😁

Replies

• gohm
    gohm
    They experimented with this concept during WWII & a couple times before. What are the limitations that have kept this concept from being actively used?
  • KINETIC_JOULES
    KINETIC_JOULES
    Woah. . . that thing is weird!
    And I'm not sure how to build one. . . what is axle type?
    (Sorry. . . not very smart here)
  • JonathanAinsley
    JonathanAinsley
    They experimented with this concept during WWII & a couple times before. What are the limitations that have kept this concept from being actively used?
    well its been on the net for 3 years and i have not heard this b4.
    can u provide a link to show what you mean?

you are the first to say they have seen it b4.

the zen academy in uk credited me with the design 3 years ago, so i am very surprised to hear this as they would have known if it had been done b4.

ornithopter.org also saw it as unique. nobody there had seen it b4.

i cant say what the other designs limitations may be as i have not seen them yet.

perhaps they used a straight wing instead of the jagged wing which would effect stability?

the only real limitation is that it does not fly very quickly,

other than that - its more stable than a helicopter
    and the wingshape actually works like a windmill, using the wind to add momentum to the spin

it would be more efficient than the helicopter fuel-wise and far far less likely to capsize

throw the model in the air at any angle - and it stabilizes almost immediately - something no other aircraft does.

what is axle type?
    cars use the horizontal axle - but the car design is too heavy.
    planes and copters use a spindle instead of an axle. so i cant just
    use that.

i need an aircraft engine on a motor car axel - but a light axle.

it also has less moving parts than other aircraft - much cheaper - much safer

just not very fast
  • gohm
    gohm
    I can't point you to a specific site offhand as it was way before internet. I've seen it numerous times on TV and history of flight archive footage, military reel, etc. Please understand I am NOT implying anything and obviously yours has a modern take on the idea. I am only curious of this alternate mode of flight (strengths & weaknesses) and knowing more about it as well as why this and other forms have not caught on more so. You should be able to find something if you do a search or check archival footage. Can you tell us more about your design?
  • JonathanAinsley
    JonathanAinsley
    I can't point you to a specific site offhand as it was way before internet.
    lots of stuff from ww2 has been put on the internet...

can you remember something than can give me a clue?
    like the TV program or the channel or what it was called?
    perhaps even the name of other aircraft that were with it.

the AMAZING thing about it is that it flies best in gale force winds.
    it uses the magnus effect to literally be a flying windmill that uses the
    wind to add power to the wing.

my models hover into the wind, and even when the wind finally turns it with the wind direction, the wind still keeps the wing spinning.

the reason i'm a bit defensive is that someone else said they saw it b4, and i asked for links and the links they supplied were just nonsense.

i have seen a similar model subsequently since i first published, but it had a straight wing and a propellar, thus and it kept twisting to the side

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This simple model can be made out of a toothpick & a couple of business cards. The zig-zag pattern of the pixiwing, gives air-traction, which provides stability in a way similar to the tread in a tyre. The pointed tips, also give better air-traction, so long as the pattern is even.[/FONT]

[​IMG]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Good Example [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Bad Example[/FONT]
    [​IMG]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]This wing has less stability, as it slews sideways in the same way that a smooth tyre does not keep in a straight line. The uneven wing (above, Good example) seems to cut the air in the same way the keel of a boat, or the fins of a surfboard, keep it heading in a perfect line. The bent foils also provide a more natural free-wheeling capacity to the axel.[/FONT]
  • JonathanAinsley
    JonathanAinsley
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Ruler Test[/FONT]
    [​IMG]
    [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hold a ruler like the picture above and throw it so that it spins backwards...[/FONT]
  • docel
    docel
    Hello Jonathan!
    Great work, indeed! I must congratulate you for the innovation and the comprehensive webpages.
    I used to fool around with the ruler and cards as a kid. Used to make a roller wing kite plane and it flies wonderfully.
    These things are around for a hundred years out but Aerodynamics have struck to some limited flight principles upto the present times. This is mainly due to the easy-way-out attitude, with the Aeronautics Industry sticking together with Bernoulli's principle as their main stay. It probably worked out due to the ease of commercial production where everyone goes through one single principle. Aeronautics has stagnated due to this with nothing much innovative for several decades.
    It is only in recent years that several innovative designs and principles are being hatched, and these by hobbyists of diverse backgrounds rather than Industrial or Research houses.
    The Cyclogyro is one such ressurection!
    I have tried these methods during my Aeromodelling years, with some success in a paddle wing aircraft.

YOu must persue your innovation and i'm sure you can achieve some excellent results. Please let me know if you need help.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can someone please assist with how to connect a push on/pushoff switch on DC motor. thank you shehzad
Guys out there. :wink: I love technology, not when its in the Thesis papers, but when it comes in to real life. And I have a place on the internet...
i m working on a line follower bot(actually i have just started studying 4 it and dont hav much knowledge as of now..) can l293d hbridge be used for it(i...
any idea abt this engg. service exam conducted by upsc plz reply to me.......😁
in most of machines rating is in KW. but in transformers it z in KVA ... why?