New Semiconductor Device Can Enhance Image Quality For Phones, PCs And TVs

A research team at UCLA has been successful in developing a new device and its manufacturing process that can bring about enhanced quality of images in the displays used in smartphones, printers, PCs, tablets and television sets. By producing new kind of semiconductors used to manufacture LCD and OLED displays, the team of researchers including Yang Yang, the Carol and Lawrence E. Tannas Jr. Professor of Engineering at the UCLA Henry Samueli School of Engineering and Applied Science, they have significantly brought down the price of developing these devices. The new device is capable of scalin up production of thin-film transistors.

The TFTs or Thin-Film Transistors are the most important components of LCDs or OLEDs. They are responsible for controlling the brightness and color provided by each pixel. The efficiency of a transistor is measured by its electron mobility i.e. the ability to precisely adjust the voltage and current that turn pixels on and off. If it is high, the TFTs are able to adjust the screen's color and brightness more easily and with greater energy efficiency than the ones with lesser electron mobility. The morphous silicon-based TFTs in use today, suffer from the same problem.

UCLA+thin+film+transistor_mid

The non-silicon–based amorphous oxide semiconductor TFT developed by the UCLA team offers about 10 to 20x more mobility than the current product. Composed using indium gallium zinc oxide and indium tin zinc oxide, the newly designed TFT also features a different processing technology. Unlike the current tech, which needs a large vacuum chamber and a costly coating procedure, the new process is as simple as applying a coat of paint to an object and then baking it in an oven. The researchers are confident that their device's performance is at par with that of commercial TFTs and can be produced at a much lower cost.

Source: Device could boost image quality for phones, computers and TVs | UCLA

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The wait, that seemed to last for centuries, is now over. Samsung Galaxy Note 2 users in India are now officially receiving the Android Kit Kat (4.4.2) firmware upgrade OTA...
University of Oxford researchers have become successful in developing new high-efficiency solar cells at lower costs than at what they are currently manufactured. The trick that helped them achieve this...
SanDisk, one of the leading companies in the world that manufacture flash storage devices, has announced world's first 128GB MicroSD card for Indian markets. The card isn't cheap though. Priced...
Hey guys, I don't generally write this kind of reviews but this incident really pissed me off. This is the first time I've been having a bad experience with snapdeal...
HI CEans. I am facing a issue here. I am using a Yashica Digi Cam and Its loaded with Kingston 4GB sd card. When I am using it in cam,...