New Research Confirms That Comets Are Made Up Of Clathrate Ice

Comets are commonly found celestial objects, made up of water- ice having a distinct gravitationally unbound atmosphere surrounding the core. Though their key constituents are well understood, the exact type of water-ice that permeates comets has intrigued many brilliant minds. Recently, a group of researchers from the Southwest Research Institute (SwRI) has thoroughly tested the data received from the surroundings of the comet 67P/Churyumov-Gerasimenko via ESA's Rosetta spacecraft, which ultimately revealed the type of water ice stored in a comet i.e. crystalline water ice, a clathrate compound.

Dr. Adrienn Luspay-Kuti, lead author and a researcher from SwRI's Space Science and Engineering Division explained that the molecular structure of comets interest them because it enables them to discover it's age. She also mentioned that the crystalline ice signifies that 67P was born from stacked ice close to our Sun. The protosolar nebula witnessed extremes of temperature and pressure, which might be the optimum environment for crystalline ice and clathrate to thrive.

comet
Comet 67P

The report also notified that amorphous water ice could be found in a large volume near the outskirts of the comet. Water clathrates are basically filled with volatile gas molecules, which help in framing a structural design of the clathrate. Luspay-Kuti, the team leader, emphasised on the fact that the promising effort by institutes of international repute had helped them to learn about the origin of cometary nuclei ,which gives several key insights regarding the history of the solar system.

This research was supported by the Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Cornell University, the French National Research Agency, the Centre National d'Études Spatiales and the James Webb Space Telescope project. The complete research report was published on the April 8 issue of the Journal 'Science Advances'.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello Everyone. I want to stimulate a high frequency inverter over 220V/50Hz a.c. input and which gives an output of approximate 36V/20MHz. Kindly suggest me the way of doing this?
Most of us have heard of the Lactobacillus bacteria which helps in the preparation of Yogurt, cheese and pickles. However, with the recent advancements in solar power driven energy sources,...
All the contestants selected for Round II of the 'Hunt for India's Best Academic Project' Contest have to create a video presentation and upload it on YouTube. NOTE: You may...
Hi, I recently learnt that a linear queue can be implemented by using two stacks. Can anyone elaborate on this? I basically require the implementation details in terms of pseudo...
Hi, I came across an article that it is in the data link layer of OSI model that the "router configuration problem" resides. Is this statement true in the first...