New Project Idea For Computer Engineers: SMS Spam Filter

I got this project idea today after receiving another advertisement SMS from Airtel.

Since it is an effective way to reach thousands of people, SIM card companies send SMSes wildly to showcase their new value added services and advertisements.
But, these spam messages sometimes become a problem for mobile users as it fills their inboxes. 😡

It would be a challenge to design a SMS Spam filter to help all the mobile users avoid spam!
Spam SMS keywords and patterns keep on changing, so some new technique should be applied to do the same.

If anyone of you are thinking of implementing this idea, share your views and opinions and progress with us. 😀

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    I am ready. Well, I had a problem with the stupid messages which comes as buy land, etc. and those irrelevant stuff keeps on popping up. What I do is, I route them via my PC and then it comes to my mobile. Whichever I find it to be a spam, I used to extract the keywords, removing the frequently used words. Once that is done and the keywords are collected, it gets stored in a MySQL database. The whole application is written in PHP. Finally, when I run the app for all the messages, it checks the messages matching the spam criteria and deletes it.
    Well, this is my business logic. 😀
  • buzzparas
    buzzparas
    Ankita,

First of all to avoid such pesky messages you can log a complaint with operator under DND, at the same time , telecom authority of india has initiated a DND process which is centrailzed and under custody of government of India, you can file a complaint at gov website too.

if we talk about project idea on spam filtering mechanism on users mobile then open source platform is wise although some are available for free download

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can you identify the bridges in this picture? Also state the link between them.
News: NASA scientist finds 'worm-like alien life form in meteorite' - Yahoo! News Looks like NASA's got something that they want people to believe. Dr Richard Hoove claims that he's...
Article: Why Silicon Valley Immigrant Entrepreneurs Are Returning Home Professor Vivek Wadhwa wrote in TC Blog post that immigrant silicon valley entrepreneurs were returning home and instead of creating jobs...
Got following mail from Amit, the founder of NurtureTalent - Dear Friends, We are pleased to share that with your kind support, Nurture Talent Academy, India's 1st institute for training...
CEans, Finally, we're rolling out attachment upload facility for CEans. You'll notice an attachment clip button in your post editor (in advance mode only) once the facility is enabled for...