New GRE Text Completion Practice Questions

1. He was treated like a ____ and cast out from his community.
A. ascetic 
B. prodigy 
C. prodigal 
D. pariah 
E. tyro

2. The teacher accused me of (i)____ because my essay was so similar to that of another student. Once I was able to (ii)____ myself, the teacher viewed the other student’s denials with more (iii)____.

Blank (i)
A. plagiarism
B. procrastination
C. decorum

Blank (ii)
D. vindicate
E. inculpate
F. reprieve

Blank (iii)
G. credulity
H. cognizance
I. skepticism

3. We live in a ____ age; everyone thinks that maximizing pleasure is the point of life.
A. ubiquitous 
B. propitious 
C. sporadic 
D. corrupt 
E. hedonistic

4. After having subjected the patient to an aggressive course of treatment that in itself could be (i)____, the doctor was thankful that the disease had gone into (ii)____ . He was able to tell the patient that symptoms might (iii)____ for many years.

Blank (i)
A. refulgent
B. life-enhancing
C. life-threatening

Blank (ii)
D. remission
E. quarantine
F. sequestration

Blank (iii)
G. not recur
H. persist
I. malinger

5. People from all over the world are sent by their doctors to breathe the pure, (i)____ air in this mountain region to counteract the (ii)____ effects of their urban existence.

Blank (i)
A. insalubrious
B. soporific
C. invigorating

Blank (ii)
D. deracinating
E. stimulating
F. debilitating

6. As were many colonial administrators, Gregory was (i)____ in his knowledge of the grammar of the local language, though his accent was almost (ii)____ .

Blank (i)
A. deficient
B. faultless
C. erratic

Blank (ii)
D. unintelligible
E. germane
F. stentorian

7. Though Adam Bede is presented to us by the author as ____ fiction, there are none of the life-like meanderings of the story of Amos Barton.
A. realistic 
B. romantic 
C. imaginative 
D. educational 
E. entertaining

8. There is a general (i)____ in the United States that our ethics are declining and that out moral standards are (ii)____ . That is not to say, however, that (iii)____ will translate into action.

Blank (i)
A. complaint
B. optimism
C. cliché

Blank (ii)
D. improving
E. deteriorating
F. resurgent

Blank (iii)
G. morality
H. awareness
I. belligerence

9. Homo sapiens, the proud splitter of the atom, inventor of the electronic computer, (i)____ of the genetic code may be humbled by a lowly (ii)____ of the sewers and soils – the microbe.

Blank (i)
A. designer
B. author
C. decipherer

Blank (ii)
D. creation
E. denizen
F. rodent

10. After centuries of (i)____, this philosopher's thesis is enjoying a surprising (ii)____ .

Blank (i)
A. limelight
B. obscurity
C. longevity

Blank (ii)
D. renaissance
E. decimation
F. neglect

Replies

• RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev
    AbraKaDabra
    1. He was treated like a ____ and cast out from his community.
    A. ascetic 
B. prodigy 
C. prodigal 
D. pariah 
E. tyro

2. The teacher accused me of (i)____ because my essay was so similar to that of another student. Once I was able to (ii)____ myself, the teacher viewed the other student’s denials with more (iii)____.

Blank (i)
    A. plagiarism
    B. procrastination
    C. decorum

Blank (ii)
    D. vindicate
    E. inculpate
    F. reprieve

Blank (iii)
    G. credulity
    H. cognizance
    I. skepticism

3. We live in a ____ age; everyone thinks that maximizing pleasure is the point of life.
    A. ubiquitous 
B. propitious 
C. sporadic 
D. corrupt 
E. hedonistic

4. After having subjected the patient to an aggressive course of treatment that in itself could be (i)____, the doctor was thankful that the disease had gone into (ii)____ . He was able to tell the patient that symptoms might (iii)____ for many years.

Blank (i)
    A. refulgent
    B. life-enhancing
    C. life-threatening

Blank (ii)
    D. remission
    E. quarantine
    F. sequestration

Blank (iii)
    G. not recur
    H. persist
    I. malinger

5. People from all over the world are sent by their doctors to breathe the pure, (i)____ air in this mountain region to counteract the (ii)____ effects of their urban existence.

Blank (i)
    A. insalubrious
    B. soporific
    C. invigorating

Blank (ii)
    D. deracinating
    E. stimulating
    F. debilitating

6. As were many colonial administrators, Gregory was (i)____ in his knowledge of the grammar of the local language, though his accent was almost (ii)____ .

Blank (i)
    A. deficient
    B. faultless
    C. erratic

Blank (ii)
    D. unintelligible
    E. germane
    F. stentorian

7. Though Adam Bede is presented to us by the author as ____ fiction, there are none of the life-like meanderings of the story of Amos Barton.
    A. realistic 
B. romantic 
C. imaginative 
D. educational 
E. entertaining

8. There is a general (i)____ in the United States that our ethics are declining and that out moral standards are (ii)____ . That is not to say, however, that (iii)____ will translate into action.

Blank (i)
    A. complaint
    B. optimism
    C. cliché

Blank (ii)
    D. improving
    E. deteriorating
    F. resurgent

Blank (iii)
    G. morality
    H. awareness
    I. belligerence

9. Homo sapiens, the proud splitter of the atom, inventor of the electronic computer, (i)____ of the genetic code may be humbled by a lowly (ii)____ of the sewers and soils – the microbe.

Blank (i)
    A. designer
    B. author
    C. decipherer

Blank (ii)
    D. creation
    E. denizen
    F. rodent

10. After centuries of (i)____, this philosopher's thesis is enjoying a surprising (ii)____ .

Blank (i)
    A. limelight
    B. obscurity
    C. longevity

Blank (ii)
    D. renaissance
    E. decimation
    F. neglect
    Answers are
    1.D
    2.A,D,I
    3.E
    4.C,E,G
    5.C,F
    6.C,F
    7.A
    8.C,E,H
    9.C,E
    10.B,D

All correct??
  • Pranjul Sharma
    Pranjul Sharma
    hi...pls post the answers...😐
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Rakesh: You have got most right.

@Pranjul: Here are the correct answers. Let me know if you need explanation for the answers.

1. D
    2. ADI
    3. E
    4.CDG
    5. CF
    6. BD
    7. A
    8. AEH
    9. CE
    10. BD

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1. Scrooge, in the famous novel by Dickens, was a ____ ; he hated the rest of mankind. A. misanthrope 
B. hypochondriac 
C. philanthropist 
D. hedonist 
E. sybarite 2. A...
I was wondering if we should have our own, 'friend inviter' or 'friend importer' facility on CE-Forum. With this, we can send mails to hundreds of our friends to join...
CAT 2011 takers can fill up the CAT 2011 online registration form via following link: https://iim.prometric.com/ . The website is being operated by Prometric (the company that conducts GRE in...
I found something quite interesting today while searching for our own site name: CrazyEngineers on Google 😀 . Let's face it - I like searching for our own website name....
Have you read the name of section? 😒 Yes, you are right I am posting it in mechanical section. Do you know why? see the tutorial & you can get...