New GRE Test Takers Experience Sharing - 2011-2012

Those who have taken the New GRE test, from August 1, please share your experience here:
1. New pattern style
2. Questions Appeared
3. Difficulty level
4. Which books/material helped you most in the exam
5. Use of calculator
6. The easy parts etc..

I am sure this information will be very useful to all who are about to take the test.

Please post your experiences & if you have heard about it from your friends, you can post that too.

Replies

• Ritesh Bhatia
    Ritesh Bhatia
    The new revised GRE pattern's experience...

It would be a great help if anyone could share his/her experience with the Revised GRE test Pattern... On the basis of my rough approximations at least 1000 people would have gone through the new pattern... Any wild clue will serve to be worthful for me and many others...

Hoping for some valuable response... A hearty Thanks in advance....
  • raminjpr
    raminjpr
    Re: The new revised GRE pattern's experience...

Hi Ritesh, I have seen in some other webs and blogs where the new revised GRE test takers shared their Experience, According to them , The Analytical Writing is not so hard and could attend that easily, AWA is followed by GRE Verbal Reasoning questions which they felt tough, most importantly the Reading Comprehension was Very hard it-seems. In reading comprehension questions, the passages were too lengthy and the questions were in-direct. so it consumed most of their time. GRE quants was better and On-screen calculator helped them a lot. So from this You have to practice a lot of RC questions to get a good score in revised GRE...All the Best Ritesh.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

@raminjpr: Thanks for sharing this valuable information. I think we should start more RC related threads on CE, so that test-takers can have more practice for that section.
  • raminjpr
    raminjpr

AbraKaDabra
    @raminjpr: Thanks for sharing this valuable information. I think we should start more RC related threads on CE, so that test-takers can have more practice for that section.
    Hmm...yeah... The Reading comprehension is the toughest part of GRE as commented by the recent New Revised GRE test takers. The more number of Reading Comprehension questions GRE aspirants practice, they would score more. We all know that RC's make up 50% of GRE Verbal section and its time consuming, so the only way to succeed is PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE!!!! No other shortcut. So i try my best to update about the Reading Comprehension in my following posts in CE. i have posted some info about the GRE verbal section in my blog too. Share it to all. All the Best.
  • raminjpr
    raminjpr
    Re: New Revised GRE Test Takers Experience Sharing

AbraKaDabra
    Those who have taken the New GRE test, from August 1, please share your experience here:
    1. New pattern style
    2. Questions Appeared
    3. Difficulty level
    4. Which books/material helped you most in the exam
    5. Use of calculator
    6. The easy parts etc..

I am sure this information will be very useful to all who are about to take the test.

Please post your experiences & if you have heard about it from your friends, you can post that too.

Hi Ankita, I have seen in some blogs where the new revised GRE test takers shared their experience, so here it goes. . .

In the New pattern style, RC's are terrorizing the test takers, it eats up all the valuable time of the GRE verbal section, the RC Passages are lengthy and confusing , so the students need to work hard on RC's , AWA are comparatively better and GRE Quants section is having the same toughness as before, but the On-screen Calculator helped them a lot.

Once the Barron's GRE was the top class book for the Old GRE, But now its not so great to purchase a Barron's GRE, So the Best Books to have for the New revised GRE are:
    1.) official ETS Guide----> Must have
    2.) Gruber's GRE
    3.) Manhattan GRE - 8 strategy guides (though its expensive, it has a all-rounder performance)
    4.) Kaplan's NEW GRE
    5.) Princeton Review- Cracking the New GRE
    6.) Barron's New GRE -- can be used for its exercises

So the from the score of the Recent Revised GRE test takers, The GRE quantitative section is easier, as many have obtained the full score(800) ....But on the contrary GRE Verbal is harder than Ever, so practice more RC's and try to attend as many practice tests as possible...All the Best.
  • Ritesh Bhatia
    Ritesh Bhatia

raminjpr
    Hi Ritesh, I have seen in some other webs and blogs where the new revised GRE test takers shared their Experience, According to them , The Analytical Writing is not so hard and could attend that easily, AWA is followed by GRE Verbal Reasoning questions which they felt tough, most importantly the Reading Comprehension was Very hard it-seems. In reading comprehension questions, the passages were too lengthy and the questions were in-direct. so it consumed most of their time. GRE quants was better and On-screen calculator helped them a lot. So from this You have to practice a lot of RC questions to get a good score in revised GRE...All the Best Ritesh.
    Thankyou so much for the valuable information πŸ˜€....I am afraid my RC is the weakest.... I'll have to practice it day and night... Thanx again...
  • monady
    monady

Hi,
    I am now trying to get ready for taking GRE on October, but I don''t know which ref would be more useful for verbal section. I wonder if anyone who has taken revised exam before, found any question similar to those questions are available in big book or kaplan or ....
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Merged the two threads.

If anyone else has taken the test, please post your experiences here. It will be very very helpful to the new test takers.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Here's what friends told me:

On the New Revised, the quantitative section covers the same topics as the old test i.e. you have to covered algebra, geometry, data interpretation & analysis. You should be fine using study material from the old test

Some have said that :
    It appears that the revised test will handicap non-native speakers as it tests more your instinct and natural feel for the English language than it does your ability to memorize esoteric vocabulary, particularly by putting the questions into context.

Calculator is handy, but it also means that there are more questions dealing with exponents than the older format. What I noticed were a number of questions that required some savvy to minimize calculation, though they could also be tackled by brute force calculation at a great cost of time. Watch out for those questions.
    Overall, the message is you can still use the old GRE books and get a really good score.

All the best, candidates. πŸ‘
  • raminjpr
    raminjpr

monady
    Hi,
    I am now trying to get ready for taking GRE on October, but I don''t know which ref would be more useful for verbal section. I wonder if anyone who has taken revised exam before, found any question similar to those questions are available in big book or kaplan or ....
    Hi monady, happy to see you here in CE. many have the doubt ... what is the main difference in old GRE Vs New GRE ??? In this New GRE, Reading Comprehension is made tougher and lengthier so it would take up your time. GRE quants is almost similar to the Old GRE, So better practice with NOVA MATHS GRE 2009 book and Kaplan GRE 2009 book could fulfill your need. So in this new GRE verbal part is made tougher, all the non-native english speakers are suffering with that, Vocabulary is essential but i don't feel you have to memorize those 3500 Barron words(hurrah!!!) again... you concentrate more on high frequency words and if you are able to understand the sentence equivalence and text completion, thats well and good. Online Calculator helped many to solve quick, but try to solve it in the paper for short calculations. My Conclusion here is, The New GRE is made a little tougher, trickier and more with real life problems, so prepare well and you could succeed. All the Best....πŸ˜€
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Here's what people have said across internet:

β€œIt is a great improvement over the old version, it is what students want. Moving back and forth is a pleasure and gives you flexibility.” β€”Nakul Vyas, Mumbai, India

β€œBeing able to flag questions and go back to them in the review section was really, really cool because I was able to go back and work on the questions that I wasn’t sure about. And, I used the on-screen calculator a lot, it was really helpful.” β€”Lindsey Todd, Philadelphia, Pa., U.S.”
  • mahimakumar
    mahimakumar

cooollll πŸ˜πŸŽ‰
  • krjkinan
    krjkinan

hi guys i took the new gre on aug 16
    firstly they give a score in terms of o;d scores as they have not decided on the new score scales
    my scoore ws in verbal 520-600
    quant 750-800

now about the test

Quant as easy as always
    any engineer will get above 700

Verbal
    difficult than previous pattern
    Rcs are difficult as well as text completion and sentence completion
    confusing options are there
    so start reading rather than cramming words
    The best way to prepare will be to read
    you will get a low score if you dont know how to think in context

Awa
    is the same just the time duration has decreased !!
  • mahimakumar
    mahimakumar

hello #-Link-Snipped-#can u please tell me the way u prepared ... and the books u referred to ... both for english and maths ....
    how did u prepare for verbal ... did u cram up the words ??
    and what were the topics of AWA given to u ....
    also about the so called - Experimental Section ?? whats that all about ??
    and if u r suggesting to read for the verbal section .... kindly suggest the material ..
    that will be of great help
    thnx
    mahima 😁

• krjkinan
    krjkinan

books i referred :
    1.kaplan gre
    2 ets
    3. major tests.com here the tests are very difficult

how i studied
    I completed both the books
    did word list 5 times yes you need to learn words and remember atleast 2500 /4000
    gave all the tests in major tests .com
    read new york times and other news paper used to read novels also

awa topics
    1. young minds should be taught to think long term rather than short term famea and recognition
  • krjkinan
    krjkinan

also u do not need to learn second meaning third meaning of a word just the ability to recognise the word is sufficient !!
  • mahimakumar
    mahimakumar

heya
    thanx again .... i have added u in my frnd list .... so ill keep bugging u πŸ˜›
    anyways i wanted to ask ... that i am already doing vocab ... like cramming up the words.... but i am not doing it , in the way as given in Barron's .... i have a separate word list of about 2000 words in which similar meaning words have been grouped with their meaning and sentences ..... that way it is much more easier .... so is that the right way of remembering words .... or should i simply close my eyes and follow Barron's .. which in a way is tough for me πŸ˜” 😭
    help!!!
    SOS !!!! πŸ˜›
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

The best way to learn new words is to learn then in the context. Get a book that gives the usage of the word in sentences. I think if you try to memorize multiple words starting with same letter, it would be bit confusing. Try memorizing 5 words from each letter's word-list. Like 5 words from 'A', 5 from 'B' - It's easy to remember about 100 new words every day.
  • mahimakumar
    mahimakumar

i truly love u for dis 1 😁 πŸ˜’ i am trying hard man 😐 but i think there's no escape from vocab 😑

ciaoxxx 😁
  • RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev

krjkinan
    books i referred :
    1.kaplan gre
    2 ets
    3. major tests.com here the tests are very difficult

how i studied
    I completed both the books
    did word list 5 times yes you need to learn words and remember atleast 2500 /4000
    gave all the tests in major tests .com
    read new york times and other news paper used to read novels also

awa topics
    1. young minds should be taught to think long term rather than short term famea and recognition
    Thanks for info on majortest.com.. Practicing with it.. My GRE is tomorrow... I have ups and lows in alternative tests
    Above all this
    It has to be your day
    Because no one can comprehend all words in a language even if he is a native speaker..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

@Rakesh: Please let us know your experience with the test in detail. It will be highly appreciated.
  • RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev

Sure.. First thing on returning home.. pray for me brothers and sisters 😁 Got a strategy in mind will say how effective it was
  • mahimakumar
    mahimakumar

how was it dude ??? waiting for your comments ........ 😎
  • RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev

Took my GRE successfully today
    1.Analytical Writing topics were quite simple. hoping for atleast 4 pointer
    2. Quants-750-800(Very easy)
    (I guess will end up on the higher side) πŸ˜€
    3.Verbal -530-580(All rc's were big πŸ˜” πŸ˜”)

Materials I used
    1.Barrons OLD GRE book
    2.Powerprep II
    3#-Link-Snipped-#(Awesome app)
    4.Cliffs Notes for Standardized tests-Best math book
    5.majortests.com

My strategy
    Quants
    1.Left statistics to the end. Generally they are time consuming(Multi-chart ones)
    2.So better finish other questions and get back to them
    3.If you score an average of 7 in majortests.com tests(very difficult ones). You are sure to hit 800.

Verbal
    1.Left RC's to the end
    2.Sort of worked,still found RC's lengthy and the topics are really boring for any engineer. I was amazed I did not doze. Very dry.. archaeology, animal statistics stuff like that..
    3.Others were pretty decent.3 Blanks ones were confusing 😁
    4.majortests.com verbal tests was a level ahead I must say, but their RC's were not that lengthy

Overall,NEW GRE can be cracked ,watch out for RC's 😁
  • krjkinan
    krjkinan

good dude enjoi
    ur verbal score is excellent !!
    as the verbal side is difficult than it used t be !!
    but tell me one thing how did yu find your text completion and sentence completion!!
    and how are you going to apply to universities becoz our scores we will not get uptill november !!
  • anandprbh
    anandprbh

dude Can u share a few question in verbal?
  • RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev

krjkinan
    good dude enjoi
    ur verbal score is excellent !!
    as the verbal side is difficult than it used t be !!
    but tell me one thing how did yu find your text completion and sentence completion!!
    and how are you going to apply to universities becoz our scores we will not get uptill november !!

Thanks... they were pretty challenging as well... more or less similar to majortests.com difficulty( to be honest a bit easier than in majortests).The three blank ones were highly confusing.with close options.Always look out for the keywords. that will help you eliminate confusing ones. For Rc pray it is your day. Well the application deadlines for most universties end only in December week 1.So do not worry about it.Take up the GRE sooner but
  • RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev

anandprbh
    dude Can u share a few question in verbal?
    Honestly I dont remember any of them 😁 That's was what ETS has achieved. No one can remember any questions any more. I credit them that. Between I am not supposed to say even if I remember . It's a rule. Enjoy it mate. Show confidence in yourself. "Nothing Else Matters"
  • mahimakumar
    mahimakumar

thanx alot dude ..... u rock ,,,, thats a lot of help man ..... i am blindly going to follow that .... ahhh ... i am so relieved ... πŸ˜›
  • mahimakumar
    mahimakumar

I WANNA BUY THAT BOOK ,,,, Amazon.com ... IS IT THIS ONE .... THE SECOND EDITION .... ??????? PLEASE REPLY πŸ˜€
  • RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev

mahimakumar
    I WANNA BUY THAT BOOK ,,,, Amazon.com ... IS IT THIS ONE .... THE SECOND EDITION .... ??????? PLEASE REPLY πŸ˜€
    Yes the same book 😁 :
  • aynaval
    aynaval

Hi RakeshVasudev,

Congrats for your score !!
    I have my exam in 2 days. I took up the Powerprep 2. I have a doubt here. It had the same questions as that was found in the ETS website. And also there was only one test given there. (timed and untimed having the same questions).

Guys, if any of you have taken Powerprep, please tell me if it is the same case for you also. And the Quant over there was too simple. So I wanted to know from the previous test takers, if the quant was in the same standard.

Please help. πŸ˜” Only 2 days to Go.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

The quant more or less remains of the same standard as in Powerprep. You'll get mixed responses as the actual GRE is adaptive - meaning if you answer correctly - the computer will present you questions of similar or higher difficulty than higher level.
  • RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev

aynaval
    Hi RakeshVasudev,

Congrats for your score !!
    I have my exam in 2 days. I took up the Powerprep 2. I have a doubt here. It had the same questions as that was found in the ETS website. And also there was only one test given there. (timed and untimed having the same questions).

Guys, if any of you have taken Powerprep, please tell me if it is the same case for you also. And the Quant over there was too simple. So I wanted to know from the previous test takers, if the quant was in the same standard.

Please help. πŸ˜” Only 2 days to Go.
    majortests.com
  • rajvar
    rajvar

hi everyone. i am raj vardhan, final yr,industrial engineering student from r.v. college of engineering-bangalore. i gave GRE on AUG 24th,2011 and my scores are:- 650-750 Quant and 410-510 in Verbal section. i know i kinda screwed up the whole thing coz in practice sets i used to get way hgher. some points i would like every one to know about the revised pattern

1. not much focus on vocab,options were simple but tricky.u need to know the context in which words are used else doing mistake is of high probability.
    2.rc's will save your life.most importantly a long rc comes at ques 7-8,followed by 4 ques.if you get this right then cool else don't waste too much time on it.
    3.please do not try to do all rc's at the end.slry you'll get screwed.i think one should go with the ques flow.
    4.always review coz chances are there one might miss 1,2 ques in the middle or at the end.
    5.regarding quant. expect some new questions, esp probability and quadratic eqn, but quant is managable so need not worry. n please review all the questions at the end.
    6.i suggest major tests, kaplan books n online tests for taking tests.

all the best folks..!!..n let me know did my suggestions help you..πŸ˜›
  • aynaval
    aynaval

Hi Rajver,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

How many RC's approx you had faced ? Was there enough time to complete them ?
    Also, was majortest sufficient for the Quant level there ?? or quant was much more higher level ?

Coz I see the questions in major tests are of good standard only..
  • rajvar
    rajvar

there were 4 rc's as far as i remember with 9-10 questions from them...means 50%...time is a big factor here...the lengthly rc consumed my time.it came at ques 7 or 8...major test.com is the best and more than sufficient for the revisede pattern..quant had some fresh questions...esp quadratic...,parabole curve and function questions which we did in calculus..(but no diff, integral)..just the simple ones... taking tests are very important..same as learning words..
  • krjkinan
    krjkinan

The_Big_K
    The quant more or less remains of the same standard as in Powerprep. You'll get mixed responses as the actual GRE is adaptive - meaning if you answer correctly - the computer will present you questions of similar or higher difficulty than higher level.

sir,
    the new gre is not question adaptive .It is section adaptive so if u do one section well the the next section may be tough
  • krjkinan
    krjkinan

major test is more than suff for the quant level actually it is tough !! where as rcs are concerned they may be life saving but they are tricky
  • swetha_b
    swetha_b

Hello Everyone,
    Just wanted to keep you guys posted on the New GRE. I've given mine on 25th August and my scores are 570-670(Verbal) and 740-800(Quant and DI). New GRE is a whole new experience and the Verbal Section is highly challenging(I thought i would get 650+... Sigh...). RCs were long and complicated but if you hang on till the end without dozing off you can crack them. Quant was a piece of cake but watch out for the DI. AWA is normal and good practice helps a lot.

My Suggestions for Verbal Section:
    -> Do your words(Princeton Review's hit parades are awesome)
    -> Read read and read(Great help on RCs)
    -> Practice sentence Completions as much as you can.
    -> Sentence Equivalence is probably the toughest part of the Verbal Section, so cram up your words.

As for the Quant Section, like i said, piece of cakeπŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

@swetha_b : How'd you rate the DI in new GRE over the old one?
  • swetha_b
    swetha_b

It's almost the same though they said there would be a lot of emphasis on the DI in the new pattern. You'd see one set for sure and the questions are pretty much straight forward with a few traps thrown in.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Great to know about your experience Shwetha. Please keep sharing your experiences folks.. lots of engineers are finding it useful!
  • sanju121212
    sanju121212
    Hi All,
    the official ETS Guide says
    "The Verbal Reasoning and Quantitative Reasoning measures are section-level adap-
    tive. The computer selects the second section of a measure based on your performance
    on the first."
    Has anyone experienced such behavior?
    like screwed up in first section and got the second section easy or done good in the first and the latter was hell.
    Giving my GRE on 5th OCt . Any info would help[​IMG].
    Thanks.
  • sachin22
    sachin22

Hi Swetha,

Congrats on your score. Am taking my GRE on OCT 12! Am fine with quants but I seem to have a huge problem when it comes to the verbal part! I have a doubt- Is it necessary to read all 3500 words in barrons or is it sufficient if i go for the gre only with the hit parade of princeton? Thanks in advance. πŸ˜€
  • swetha_b
    swetha_b
    Hi Sanju,
    What you heard is true. The new GRE is section adaptive. My second quant section was slightly tougher than my first but then, my verbal sections were of the same difficulty level. A few of my friends who gave the new gre said that their second verbal section was easier than the first(Their verbal scores were in 350-450 range). Anyway, I think section adaptive pattern is better because all the questions in the section are of the same weight(No more stressing over your previous question's answers!).
  • swetha_b
    swetha_b
    Hi Sachin,
    ETS said that the New GRE has less emphasis on vocabulary and more on the usage. Though it sounds like Vocabulary isn't very important, it is. You don't have to do the usual cramming the old pattern required but if you're good with words then your verbal score is gonna hit the skies. Application of the words is what they're looking at, so reading helps a lot. Do the hit parades and try and learn words in groups(as in words with similar meaning, root words, prefixes and suffixes etc). Don't neglect your math too, keep practicing every chance you get. 30 days of proper prep is enough to crack it. Good luck!
  • aimforhigh
    aimforhigh
    Hi All,

Took my GRE earlier this week, Ended up quiet low level in first attempt.
    First regrarding my preparation, just went through "Words power made easy" and "333 gre high frequency words list" for verbal. As preparation for quants i just took model test in majortest.com as discussed in many GRE forums. On the eve of exam i took ETS mock Exam. Which helped me a lot in getting used to the GRE enviromnent.
    On the test day i went to test centre without any excpectation. Only think i was praying since a week before was to get quants as 1st section so that i will get 3 quants section. Once the test started all the people around me was looking at me as i was banging my head on the monitor (Verbal was my first section 😑).After cursing all the lords whom i prayed, Started to continue with the test.
    Then came Quants where i felt comfortable with (as its is one of my stronger area).There after got 2 more cursing verbal section and 1 pleasing quants section.

Regarding Exam AWA section was quiet easy to manage, I did not complete any of the 3 verbal section as time was not sufficent , forced to go random guess for last few questions. Got Cumulatively 2.5 RCs per section(only relief is that it was not that vague but lengthy one). Comming to Quants, its piece of cake studded with lots of plums for those who has hands-on in CAT quants. Though am good in math but not that fast in calculation even i got 10 min to review. If any one is hate or fed of maths exams here is ur boost take few GRE quants test.
    Once the test is over seeing score split ups verbal (340-440) and quants (750-800), I could not come up with any conclusion. Only thing i feel is it not enough if u just cram up barron words. You should have some knowledge on forms and usage of it.

Pls reply me if u got any suggessions for me to improve in verbal as i wish to take gre once more.
    All the best for those who taking exam in the future.

• sachin22
    sachin22
    Thank you Swetha. I appreciate that. πŸ˜€
  • rahulkgupta
    rahulkgupta
    Hi All,

Gave GRE on 5th Sept. Scored Quite low.
    My Score Range was:
    Verbal 350-450
    Quants 750-800...

As mentioned by amiforhigh Quant was a piece of cake. It was quite.
    But on the other hand, Verbal was quite tough. Time was less, There were hell lot of RC's and that too they were very long. Was out of time so had to go with random answers.
    As for AWA, they went well.

Any suggestions for improving my Verbal? If I apply with this score what colleges can i go for?
  • sachin22
    sachin22
    Hey Rahul,
    What book did you use for verbal preparation?
  • rahulkgupta
    rahulkgupta
    Sachin,

I would suggest you to use Barron's.
    It would be more than sufficient.
  • sachin22
    sachin22
    Thanks Rahul. Did you kind of mug the 3500 words?
  • naz naz
    naz naz

Hi RakeshVasudev, can you pls mention any score for majors verbal as u mentioned for majors quant test. I don't know how i m doing in verbal ?
  • Mitul Agrawal
    Mitul Agrawal
    hello frnds...i have 3 months time.is dis time enough to prepare for gre. plz tell me how to start the preparation for the gre exam. also tell d books for all sections!!
  • Reya
    Reya
    3 Months is more than enough to prepare for GRE.

How to start preparing for GRE:

1.First thing you have to do is,know your skill level and know how much you can score in the practice tests.

2.To determine your skill level,take the practice test using power prep for GRE and also the test conducted by ETS and major test.com

3.with the help of the marks scored in practice test,determine your target score.

4.Determine the university you want to attend and make a study plan to achieve your target score.

5.Based on your study plan,fix the time you would spend to achieve your target score.

6.Make sure that you have enough GRE materials to prepare for 3 months.

7.Make a note of your performance in each test and find your stronger and weaker areas.Spend much time on your weaker areas.

8.Dont forget to spend time on your stronger areas which helps you to score more.

9.Make a note of all your mistakes you made during practice test and revise them repeatedly so that you wont repeat it again.

10.Spend more time to analyse the mistakes than the time taken to give the test.

11.Have checkpoints to trace your progress.Compare the score you get in practice test with your target score and work hard to improve the score.

12.Make sure that you stick to your study plan and follow it very strongly.Dont find any excuses and learn new strategies if you think that you are weak in RC.

13.Try to solve more RC questions if your learning strategies for RC doesn't give you the output expected.

14.Your score should get increased everytime you take up the test.If it is decreasing,you haven't prepared well and the time you spent to improve the scores on that particular area is wasted.

15.Before start preparing for GRE,allocate the time you want to spend every day for each area and it is very important to know the university deadlines.

16.Have self discipline and strong determination to follow the study plan.Make sure you follow the study plan everyday.

17.Last but not least,If you find anything difficult to understand or prepare,dont worry.Crazyengineers are there to help you at anytime.

All the best for the exam Mitul πŸ˜€Dont forget to post your experience in CE!

Read all the posts in this thread and you will know the books you need to study for each section.
  • Mitul Agrawal
    Mitul Agrawal
    thanx Reya...πŸ˜€..i wil keep all these points in my mind while preparing!!
  • rajvar
    rajvar
    one of my friend from coll took the revised gre and got score: q:-750-800 v:-640-740....πŸ˜›
  • sachin22
    sachin22
    Kindly ask him to share his experiences here.
  • shubby
    shubby
    hey evryone im gonna take xam on 19th of dis month.i need ur suggestions that how to crack the test.waitin for ur valuable suggestions...is kaplan material is gud to prepare???
  • shubby
    shubby
    hey can u plzz tell him to share his experience...it would be helpful for us....
  • RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev

naz naz
    Hi RakeshVasudev, can you pls mention any score for majors verbal as u mentioned for majors quant test. I don't know how i m doing in verbal ?
    major tests again 😁
  • Reya
    Reya
    @shubby: Read all the posts in this thread to get the answer for your question!
  • babar 11
    babar 11
    can anyone please tell me the scoring criteria in ranges, i mean i just appeared in GRE today and i got the score range ov
    Q 670-770
    v 350-450
    i am really worried about my maths section, as i saw many ov the test takers got almost full range, but its different with my case, i got total 3 sect of quantitative, first two are very easy, and i am sure not havin any mistakes in those two sects, but the last sect of maths was really very tough, means it had some ques related to Standard deviations as well. i am really nervous as i am worried about my Q score, please anyone tell me if he knows this method better
    thanks
  • RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev
    babar 11
    can anyone please tell me the scoring criteria in ranges, i mean i just appeared in GRE today and i got the score range ov
    Q 670-770
    v 350-450
    i am really worried about my maths section, as i saw many ov the test takers got almost full range, but its different with my case, i got total 3 sect of quantitative, first two are very easy, and i am sure not havin any mistakes in those two sects, but the last sect of maths was really very tough, means it had some ques related to Standard deviations as well. i am really nervous as i am worried about my Q score, please anyone tell me if he knows this method better
    thanks
    Our scores are the basis of normalization ETS will do. Dont worry this does not mean you score is low. It is just an estimate that tells what your score could have been in the old pattern. And good news is that very few have got above 650 in verbal in the new pattern. so getting around 500 assures you get 160 in verbal actually 😁 and quant yes it could have been better for you. Dont worry it's above par
  • engineersrule
    engineersrule
    Hi,

My friend took the new GRE on Sep 8th. She says she scored 330/430 in quant and 270/330 in verbal. I though quant and verbal are given equal weightage. Or she doesn understand its the range 270-300(in the old 800 scale) in verbal and 330-430 in quant. Could you please clarify? When are the final scores available, any idea?

Thanks!
  • ravisekharan
    ravisekharan
    Hey,
    Ur scores shall be:
    Q: 157 ; 68%ile
    V: 141 ; 31%ile

Could improve.
  • ravisekharan
    ravisekharan
    Scores shall be:
    Q: 140 ; 10%ile
    V: 134 ; 3%ile

Lot to improve upon
  • ravisekharan
    ravisekharan
    babar 11
    Q 670-770
    v 350-450
    thanks
    Hey,
    Ur scores shall be:

Could improve.
  • ravisekharan
    ravisekharan
    engineersrule
    Hi,

My friend took the new GRE on Sep 8th. She says she scored 330/430 in quant and 270/330 in verbal. I though quant and verbal are given equal weightage. Or she doesn understand its the range 270-300(in the old 800 scale) in verbal and 330-430 in quant. Could you please clarify? When are the final scores available, any idea?

Thanks!
    Scores shall be:
    Q: 140 ; 10%ile
    V: 134 ; 3%ile

Lot to improve upon
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    The final scores will be available by mid of November!

Check ETS website for more updated information.
  • rohitkandhal
    rohitkandhal
    Hi All,

I'm appearing for GRE on 29th of this month and have prepared vocab and quant. But still i'm lagging in Reading Comprehension. Can anyone suggest me what should i do now ? I've read strategies from almost all renown books (Kaplan, Princeton, Manhattan, Official Guide). After going through them i realized one have to develop his own skill to combat rc.

Still if you have any valuable, please share.

Thanks,
    Rohit
  • vishnu priya
    vishnu priya
    rohitkandhal
    Hi All,

I'm appearing for GRE on 29th of this month and have prepared vocab and quant. But still i'm lagging in Reading Comprehension. Can anyone suggest me what should i do now ? I've read strategies from almost all renown books (Kaplan, Princeton, Manhattan, Official Guide). After going through them i realized one have to develop his own skill to combat rc.

Thanks,
    Rohit
    Yes RC's are the most critical sections in GRE. You have got the right point that it is a skill that should be slowly developed.
    Having 10 golden days in hand practice 2-3 passages everyday with a timer which will give you a flow of answering RC questions.

All the very best πŸ˜€
  • rohitkandhal
    rohitkandhal
    vishnu priya
    Yes RC's are the most critical sections in GRE. You have got the right point that it is a skill that should be slowly developed.
    Having 10 golden days in hand practice 2-3 passages everyday with a timer which will give you a flow of answering RC questions.

All the very best πŸ˜€
    Thanks for best wishes. I just hope i go through them, i do try rc everyday but everyday i get dazed while reading them and lose all hope πŸ˜”... and it's quite ridiculous when i saw explanation.
  • RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev
    ravisekharan
    Hey,
    Ur scores shall be:

Could improve.
    hey how are you converting?? Can u explain??
    Convert mine
    530-580 V
    and
    750-800 quant
  • ravisekharan
    ravisekharan
    RakeshVasudev
    hey how are you converting?? Can u explain??
    Convert mine
    530-580 V
    and
    750-800 quant
    Verbal cannot be 530-580 ?
    It should hav been 530-630 pls confirm.

It should hav been 530-630 pls confirm. If it is so, then
    V - 154 [81%ile]
    Q - 167-170 [94+%ile]

Nice scores πŸ˜€

Regards
  • RakeshVasudev
    RakeshVasudev
    ravisekharan
    Verbal cannot be 530-580 ?
    It should hav been 530-630 pls confirm.

It should hav been 530-630 pls confirm. If it is so, then
    V - 154 [81%ile]
    Q - 167-170 [94+%ile]

Nice scores πŸ˜€

Regards
    hey ok with the conversion. But what's your logic behind the calculation. I dont see any official release from ETS

and regarding verbal it is 530-580

It is because both the sections are marked with a range of 50 or 100 based on performance.Although i noticed 50 range in verbal is quite rare

Btw this is my brothers score
    q-750-800
    v-410-510

please show your conversion logic in next post
  • pvnswaroop
    pvnswaroop
    Hi My New Pattern Score is Q: 700-800, V 270-370
    What is the equivalant score in New Pattern?
  • rohitkandhal
    rohitkandhal
    Hi, I appeared for the GRE today and my score is
    V: 450-550
    Q: 750-800

I've given old gre too and must say that new GRE is more difficult than the previous one. Specially Verbal section, although sentence completion and sentence equivalence questions seems to be quite easy for a person having good vocab but this is not totally true. v.confusing words and that too coupled with misleading ambivalent ideas. Try hard.

Also do practice analytical section in timed situation.

Anyone who can tell me my %ile?

Thanks
  • jaismeen
    jaismeen
    Hi Guys,
    I appeared for the GRE on 30th September.Here are few observations that I would like to share:
    a. The RCs were not that lengthy and difficult.I found them surprisingly quite simple and straightforward.
    b. You just need to practice upon your concentration skills while reading them.
    c. Word list is a must so as to crack text equivalence questions and grasp the crux of RCs.
    d. If you dont have time,then atleast go for high frequency words from Barrons.
    e. Start reading newspaper.It helps.

By the way,My score was:
    Q : 720-800
    V : 550-630
    Can someone please convert it?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    It would be great if someone could post the method to convert the GRE Scores.
  • ashadds
    ashadds
    verbal:690 790quant:740 800

The first thing i want to say to prospective test takers is to remain calm during the actual exam...
    I just finished my gre,it was long and exhausting.The sections that i got as experimental was quant,i got 3 quant and 2 verbal sections
    The quant is easy and covers the basic maths including basic concepts of statistics and only requires good application knowledge of fundamentals.As indians ,maths must be easy for us even without preperation
    The verbal was really gruelling with emphasis on passage comprehension.They require clear cut comprehension and formulation and understanding of complex thoughts.So just read..its the only way to crack the new gre,you dont need to mug up words but you need to understand the idea the sentence is trying to convey..more less once you improve your intuition will guide you to the right answers..

So everybody try hard and practice questions,but most importantly read..you need to read quality articles from papers like new york times or new york book reviews
    regards
    ashok
    bangalore
  • sachin22
    sachin22
    Hey guys,
    I took my GRE today.

The test was not really as exhausting as I expected it to be. However, there were too many complexities as far as the verbal section is concerned. My scores:
    Quants: 750-800
    Verbal:460-560

The Reading Comprehensions were really horrible not because they were long but merely because of the lack of time. This factor made it difficult to really know the time needed to spend on a single RC question forcing me to choose answers at random and with haste. The Quants was a cake-walk. Luckily, I got 3 quants and 2 verbal. AWA was very easy.

As far my preparation is concerned I used the Kaplan book(would recommend it). The CD had lots of practice and 5 full length tests were very useful. Also, go through few tips in the ETS website.

I dont think quants need preparation for those who are strong in maths. As far as verbal is concerned DO NOT MUG UP WORDS! Learn them contextually. I repeat..do not mug! Note down words u do not know while ur doing ur preparation..Will help for sure! And as far as RCs, it is easy to find the answer and it will surely be in the passage but the limited time makes it look tortuous.

Before exam day, do not forget to take the ETS full test in their website(powerprep).

All the best.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Thanks @ashok & sachin : Your experiences shared here are valuable for aspirants. πŸ‘
  • fenny R
    fenny R

Hii frnds.....

I have started preparing for GRE few days back. I have idea of the new GRE pattern.But i don't have any idea of the standards of the questions being asked.
    Please those people who appeared for the exam, share your experience
  • mSaurabh
    mSaurabh

Hi All,
    I must say i'm feeling much more relieved than ever after reading all the posts posted here...
    Thank you so much to all of you...
    Well am going to appear from my GRE on 29th of November and don't surprised but my TOEFL is 9 days before that, that is on 20th Nov.
    Right now am working and doing my prep for revised GRE in parallel.
    Have got a good hold over vocab as of now πŸ˜€ (2500 atleast)...
    Now my concern is ... I have exactly 1 month time and am not sure if this is sufficient...
    My math is good enough... working on it daily by taking 1 topic and doing it for 2 days (1 day understanding and learning the formulae and next day practicing on the question sets of that topic)...
    Can anyone guide me for Verbal part preparation ? Currently started practicing sentence completion....

-Saurabh
  • einstein98
    einstein98

Hi everyone

I have taken Gre in the previous pattern and have a score of

V - 470
    Q - 790

Should I take the new gre again. I am planning to go in 2013

Also where can I get RC's to practice online. Practicing in book would not be sufficient.We ll need a lot of rc materials..

Plz help
  • Ketan90
    Ketan90
    Hello everyone...have serious doubt regarding d %to GPA conversion...and also kindly tell me about d weightage universities give to ur academic GPA and GRE exam...??
  • shaikbabu1
    shaikbabu1
    hai...can anybody suggest me some books to prepare for GRE..
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    shaikbabu1
    This thread will help you - #-Link-Snipped-#
  • dikshalakhe
    dikshalakhe
    shaikbabu1
    Sure.. Refer Kaplan's GRE book.. It is the best in market.. Look for the latest edition as the GRE's pattern has changed. Happy studying..!
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  • aks4upec7
    aks4upec7
    Hi all,
    I am Akshay Sharma & I'm going to take GRE on 25th July. I noticed majortests.com from this site only & worked upon it. I did fair on SE (Sentence equivalence) & TC (text completion), but when it comes to RC i am scared ....i have a few queries. kindly help me out....
    Query 1. - Is the RC section at majortests.com is far harder than actual GRE ? (i can't even understand explanations)
    Query 2. - Isn't the SE & TC are very easy at majortests.com when compared to ETS OG or even kaplan verbal workbook ? (FYI i have done all problems of SE & TC & didn't find them troublesome)
    Query 3. - I have noticed that the Kaplan verbal has easier questions when juxtaposed to ETS OG. Are u feeling the same ? Is actual GRE is simulated more by ETS OG or by any other book ?
    Query 4. - I am doing fair in SE & TC. How to improve RC. I have tried reading newspaper & other stuff. I can not really understand the question in RC sp. on terms like scope, argument, thesis, synthesis etc. where should i refer to have a better grip on it ? (i hardly get 5 answers right out of 10 RC questions in 20Q verbal mock test)
    Query 5. - I am really bewildered regarding proportional data of verbal score versus accuracy. i.e. at a particular score what could be my approximate correct answers. for example if i am getting 15 answers correct out of 20 in verbal.. so what would be my approx. score (i know its adaptive test but it ll give me an idea where do i stand in my preparation)
    actually, at present i am getting 12-14 in verbal test of 20 questions. But in ETS OG it was pathetic πŸ˜” it was 007 :'( ..... I just want to know that what should be my minimum score in 20Q verbal test in kaplan tests to easily get a actual GRE score of 325+ (assuming 170 in maths)
    Query 6. - is it me only who runs out of time and occasionally have to leave 1 or 2 questions ? Sp. RC. Is new GRE like CAT where a few questions are generally left by almost everyone ?

I apologize if I've asked a lot or absurd ....
    Any reply is eagerly awaited. Thanks in advance πŸ˜€
  • Reya
    Reya
    Tagging #-Link-Snipped-#. He may answer for all your questions.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    I don't know about any sites but I'm answering what I think about this exam. (Since, I've got only 293 (V-141, Q-152), but without any preparation). Hence, take this as only one of the review about GRE Verbal exam and Here we go...

Query 1 : Reading Comprehension is tough in GRE only because of their lengths(the length of the passage will kill all the time.) Hence the pressure will mount and it's only tough because our mind isn't English by birth. So, we must practice regularly to manage time in verbal section. Our verbal score depend on Reading Comprehension only.

Query 2 : May be not or No, sentence Equivalence is easy in GRE test as well but as I said earlier it depends upon how much time you'll save for these questions.

Coming to text completion, now, this is the challenging part in GRE exam because even though you've made two correct choices, the third one could be a question mark. I can only wish better luck with these questions.

Hint : Prepare all the meaning in ETS DVD and from those sites and I bet >50% of them will appear in GRE exam.

Query 3: Since I've said every thing about verbal section. ETS Verbal is easy but ours 😐.

Query 4: Still, Only one word, keep trying/practicing.

Query 5: The other thing while you're writing GRE test is keep this score away from your mind because CEan, this is a 4 and half hour test and if all these things circle you mind that it'll only increase pressure on you. Hence, have a good nap, the previous night and go with pleasant mood. (Also eat well before the exam, it's the mistake that I've done - I've got my senses cut at the end of the test, down in fatigue, mind rolling, hungry, tired. Hence, don't do that) Come on, your mind has to keep on thinking, non-stop for 4+ hours.

Query 6 : I've lost approximately 1-2 questions for every two sections during the test. It happens to everyone but if you can manage time well, I bet you'll get time for reviewing your answers as well.

But don't worry about that. You'll get good score. Don't aim too high as well(remove this thought). Just only concentrate on the question - only on the question.

All the Best for your exam. πŸ‘
  • aks4upec7
    aks4upec7
    Thanks For the fast & awesome solutions #-Link-Snipped-# πŸ˜‰ But still i need some more info on a point so that i can prepare well, which is mentioned below:

As in query 5 i am getting 10-12 verbal questions correct as per kaplan book but my friend who just went through new GRE exam says that it ll not fetch more than 300 in any case.
    So i want to ask was that is there any data for a particular kind of exam where i can have a vague idea that at 'x' no of correct answers will get me 'y' score in verbal.
    for eg considering powerprep exam, If one gets 12 correct answers in verbal, he can get verbal score around 145+ or 145- etc etc.
    I just want to know in relative system where do i stand, how much hard work should i put into verbal.

Hope i have elucidated my query this time πŸ˜€
    thanks in advance πŸ˜€
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    #-Link-Snipped-# 141 in GRE is sure.

Have you taken GRE test on ETS DVD. The score that you'll get on that disc, it'll will be ~+-100 to your score.

For example if it says 650-750 in Q, 350- 450 in V. Then your score will be average-+100 πŸ˜›. It worked for four people here. I'm ... Well, I don't know but sure, it worked with power-prep test.

15/20 Questions right per section- eyes on 650+

10-15 obviously between 350-650 - in the middle.
  • aks4upec7
    aks4upec7
    OK πŸ˜€ I didn't know that ... Then i should attempt this dvd test so that i can calculate how much time should i invest on verbal πŸ˜€ n how much much to other sections πŸ˜€ thanks a lot πŸ˜€
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    aks4upec7
    OK πŸ˜€ I didn't know that ... Then i should attempt this dvd test so that i can calculate how much time should i invest on verbal πŸ˜€ n how much much to other sections πŸ˜€ thanks a lot πŸ˜€
    I would suggest ~75+ % on Quant and ~25-% of time on Verbal for a good score since you've less than a month for your GRE exam.
  • aks4upec7
    aks4upec7
    Could anyone please indorm me what are the things to be done on gre test day ? Right from things to go with or not till the end. ETS mentions that at the end of the day we have to mention 4 scroe receipients & beyond that each will cost 25$ more. Are these recepients unversities ? If yes, then what guys without prior knowledge do there ? Can it be given after some days ? Is this service free of charge ?
    #-Link-Snipped-# & others please help me.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    aks4upec7
    Could anyone please indorm me what are the things to be done on gre test day ? Right from things to go with or not till the end. ETS mentions that at the end of the day we have to mention 4 scroe receipients & beyond that each will cost 25$ more. Are these recepients unversities ? If yes, then what guys without prior knowledge do there ? Can it be given after some days ? Is this service free of charge ?
    #-Link-Snipped-# & others please help me.
    Be peaceful, eat well, sleep good. GRE test will test your mental and physical abilities too, so stay fit πŸ˜› and concentrate - get good score.

You've to place all your belonging in a locker.

Yes, you can report your GRE scores at the end of the test but I doubt about reporting those scores after some days for free.

Note: At the end of the test, you can always report for the universities that you've in your list after checking your score. So, better be prepared for that too. πŸ˜€

All the Best. πŸ‘
  • aks4upec7
    aks4upec7
    Dear #-Link-Snipped-# / All,
    while GRE test day do we have to mention 4 score recipients for free at test site only and similarly while booking TOEFL as well it's asking 2 score recipients. What Exactly is score recipients ? can it be delayed in GRE or TOEFL ? may be after research of few weeks or for getting it free do we have to tell on that moment only ?

Kindly help.
    I've my GRE on 25th July and i should be planned accordingly. Moreover, i have to book TOEFL where it's asking about 2 score recipients. I am waiting as i really don't know should i skip this part of score recipients or not.

Thanks in advance.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    After the completion of your test, you'll receive a score and then it'll ask whether to apply for universities or not. Here, if you wish to apply - you can(I recommend to apply) since ((I think you cannot apply for university(for free later)) - Check with this thing with others too. and also check for your score before applying to universities, whether your score has reached the university requirements or not before applying because if you send reports after retaking(in case if you have to retake GRE) it might lessen your profile.(have couple friends with GRE 311(retaken(2)) and another IELTS 7.5(retaken(3)) applied for 4 universities got rejections from all 4) - Why should we take a risk? Hence, apply for universities that you feel that it's a confirm admit. The difference that'll make for applying early in the exam center is that the universities will receive your score early(you can save about 20-25 days time and also 80$ USD). Here, also remember one thing - "Do not degrade your profile if you get a score than you've expected, the new GRE scores have lot of value than the old ones", okay and you don't have to worry about applying for universities since you've got lot of time and it also won't make much of a difference at the end. πŸ˜€

All the Best, Crack it. πŸ‘
  • aks4upec7
    aks4upec7
    Hi All,
    I quite disappointed today as i took GRE and got far less than what i had expected. I got V-147 & Q-164. I am very good at quant and was expecting 170 for sure. At present i don't have any idea how good is this score [​IMG]. I just want to know that can i get a university from top 20 for mechanical engineering ? Or should i take it again [​IMG]

presently my choices regarding Mechanical Engineering MS course are
    Georgia Institute of technology
    Texas A&M College station
    Ohio State University
    University of Florida
    Purdue University [Now doesn't seems feasible πŸ˜”]
    etc...

kindly evaluate according the possibility of getting admit and suggest regarding retake of GRE.
    Thanks in advance.

Quite SAD πŸ˜”
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    #-Link-Snipped-#

No need to be sad, you still have a choice and haven't lost yet brother. πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dedicating this thread to questions based on 'Pipes, Water Tanks, Inlet, Outlet' type questions. Share the questions here and discuss the method to solve them. It would be great if...
There are five rounds in thoughtworks selection process. 1.Written test-aptitude 2.Programming round 3.Technical Interview1-Questions will be asked from all languages(You need to know atleast three languages) 4.Technical interview2-Questions will be...
Hello All, This is Abhishek Jain from Chennai.I have a great interest in CNC automation.I learned CNC programming in my College and worked on a software called CNC Train but...
Intellectual Property Rights, Invention and Patents The above slide shows how industries evolve and what should be done for the same. comments are welcome.
Hi, I have done my internship in Maruti suzuki where I learned about the motoman and Fanuc Robot programming but I lost my notes,So,anybody help me in this programming and...