networking titbits: VLANS

Virtual LANs is a L2 technique used to segregate users in a LAN(per say , seggregation of broadcast domain) . Now when I say L2, everyone relates it to a switch. The tricky question being- what is the difference between a L2 VLAN and L3 VLAN.

Replies

• Kishan Gupta
    Kishan Gupta
    durga
    Virtual LANs is a L2 technique used to segregate users in a LAN(per say , seggregation of broadcast domain) . Now when I say L2, everyone relates it to a switch. The tricky question being- what is the difference between a L2 VLAN and L3 VLAN.
    I am not sure much about L3 VLAN. But for communication between two or more L2 VLAN they required to go to L3. Some modern Switches can also work at L3, means they can route the packets also.
  • AllenJones
    AllenJones
    VLANs will allow LAN administrators to "fine tune" their networks by logically grouping users. Software configurations can be made uniform across machines with the consolidation of a department's resources into a single subnet. IP addresses, subnet masks, and local network protocols will be more consistent across the entire VLAN. Fewer implementations of local server resources such as BOOTP and DHCP will be needed in this environment. These services can be more effectively deployed when they can span buildings within a VLAN.

Thanks in advance.
    Allen
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    Nice topic ! Looking forward for more networking related topics on CE !

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well, this is the biggest thing that has been in my mind lately. India has been a developing country since a lot of time. How far is this legible for...
Various sources on the Internet are reporting that the Redmond giant is aiming for October 2012 release of their latest Windows 8 operating system across desktops and laptops. The initial...
Name: Shashank Sharma *Engineering Trade: MCA Location: Noida, India *Occupation: Working as Sr. Software Engineer, in Noida, India Work Experience: 4.5 Yrs, worked on various technologies ranging from VB 6.0,...
Samsung has silently launched the SamsungIndiaEStore.com website to sell their products online to Indian customers. The store is operated by savex computers ltd. which also is the national distributor of...
I was surfing the net and came across that Samsung and few more are working towards launching a digital camera with Android as OS for it with gr8 features for...