Nest Labs Smart Smoke Detector Sends Message To Your iOS Or Android Device

Nest Labs, the Home automation company, has today released their latest product called Nest Protest - a smoke detector and alarm system, that is really smart. The Nest Protect is a product designed to solve all the problems that people encounter while using traditional smoke detectors. Sadly, there's not much innovation happened in the area of smoke detectors for the last 30-40 years. And according to a report by the National Fire Protection Association, more than one-third (38%) of home fire deaths resulted from fires in which no smoke alarms were present at all and one quarter (24%) in properties where the smoke alarms were present - they failed to operate.

Nest Labs shared in their press release that, "The smoke detectors have become annoying because every time you make stir-fry, the smoke alarm cries wolf. Or just as you're falling asleep, you hear a low-battery chirp. And that's a safety issue." In most cases, where the smoke detectors have failed to operate - there were no batteries or dead batteries in the device. So, what's new in the Nest Labs' smart smoke detectors? Let us find out.

nest-smoke-detector
The Nest Protect smoke detector is Wi-Fi enabled. As well as warning users with a spoken audio alert, it sends message to iOS or Android devices such as mobiles or tablets when smoke or carbon monoxide are detected in the atmosphere, or even when the device's batteries are running low. This device is also designed in a way that no false alarms are caused. Therefore, if device isn't certain there's a fire, it alerts the user with a warning message, telling them where the smoke has been detected. It then allows the user to dismiss the warning by waving their hand at the device.

The Nest Protect also lights up in white when it senses someone in the house walking by it in the dark. The device emits green glow when the lights are first turned out in the room as a signal that it's working fine. The Protect can also sync up with other smart household appliances designed by Nest, such as the Nest Thermostat, taking another step in the direction of smart houses. For those who don't want the hassle of batteries, the Nest Protect comes in a version that can be plugged into a power outlet. The device is priced at £110, and is available in white or black models.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Note to the readers:
    Tony Fadell, the founder and CEO of Nest, once ran Apple's iPod division and was part of Steve Jobs' inner circle.
    He is trying one by one to reinvent devices around the house that, as he puts it, are "unloved."
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    What is the real purpose of wifi in this smart smoke detector?
    Its nice that it has a messaging service that notify us if there is a fire out break.It can be a boon to people who are out with kids in the house alone so that is anything happens accidently , we can get notified and alerted.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    110 bucks!! That's too expensive for a smoke detector. I'd rather plug vanilla smoke detector into an arduino and have it communicate with my PC using wi-fi. A single arduino will support 10 sensors.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    The real purpose of wifi is explained in the posts so that it can alert people.
    The device has the capability of messaging that batteries are down etc.,
    I liked the concept of lightning when some one walks by. We also have to include calling the fire station or alerting them through internet call in case the sensors at their end doesnt work.

PS. As far as I understand , the sensors at home give a signal or a alert at the fire station end.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

PLEASE DISTINGUISH SUBMERGED WELDING OVER MIG & TIG WELDING.
We know that India's development can be truly attained only by enriching the children right from the childhood from the school itself. We can't drastically change the situation and it...
The makers of the talked about Aakash tablets seem to be on a roll and now have unveiled three new budget Android tablets for the festive season. All the tablets...
HTC India, the Taiwanese handset maker, has today launched HTC Desire 500 priced at Rs. 21,490 in India. This mid-range handset has a nice set of specifications and features on...
I had searched many websites on how to share my internet connection in the Personal computer to my android powered mobile phone but I ended in a thread that it...