Need your help(linux)

hi ,
In my laptop,i install linux(fedora).The problem is that neither mp3 nor videos(mpeg files) files run on my computer.plsssss give the steps for using internet in fedora.only bluetooth is working well.

😲eagerly waiting for ur solutions.😲

Replies

• skipper
    skipper
    Maybe you need to install the right codecs and stuff. Have you run a systems admin tool to check what the sound chip is?
    My advice is: google for mpeg and fedora along with the model of your laptop; include the word "problem". It's probably just that your laptop isn't set up properly or has an odd chipset or something.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    are sound drivers and Vdo drivers configured?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Usually, Linux distros do not contain any mp3 (and some video) codecs due to the distro's open source nature. mp3 is proprietary, so you'll need to manually download those codecs seperately, just like skipper said.

Try downloading the VLC player for linux 😀 (with a working net connection of course)
    VLC media player for Fedora - VideoLAN

Regarding your internet connection.. how do you want to connect? Wireless? PPPoE?
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    You can also use wine(windows emulator) software,

with this software you can install executables, so it is possible,to install windows softwares in linux 😀.

@ash: you can add this to your free engineering software list 😀
  • Munguti
    Munguti
    The best way to handle this is to find a Fedora community forum they most likely have an answer for your problem. I have Ubuntu in my computer and when i have problems i visit the ubuntu forums, they are very helpful.
  • manusaluja
    manusaluja
    Instead of Fedora, Use OpenSUSE Linux, everything is bundled. One of the best linux distro i have ever seen.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    manusaluja
    Instead of Fedora, Use OpenSUSE Linux, everything is bundled. One of the best linux distro i have ever seen.
    The problem ashutoshglamour is facing, is that there are no proprietary codecs installed. I use OpenSuSE my self and I can assure you, that it does not come bundled with these codecs. You can only play .ogg/.ogv files without installing additional codecs.

I would suggest you look for latest version of the xine codecs for your version of fedora and install them. Avoid gstreamer codecs as they have issues sometimes.

Or as ash pointed out, install vlc.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

OK! All the TELECOM enthusiats check this out The webinar is about trends and traffic management using MPLS( multi protocol lable switches) and how they are being used to cater...
I want to hear some idea. Now I'm running a AD7808 - Octal 10-Bit serial DAC. It have pins AVDD, AGND, DVDD, DGND, CLKIN, SDIN and FSIN. Interfacing to PIC16F877A...
Hello Guys, I am a complete noob in this field but I got a lot fascinated as I came across it over the net. So basically to get started I...
hi i am final year student of electronics so, give me suggestion for project.
How an 3 phase alternator is used as a starting device for starting of a Gas turbine generator set using static frequency converter.