Need suggestions to start career

Hello CEans. I am a 2014 passed out B.E student from Bangalore. My branch is CSE. I have offers from two companies. One deals with mainframes (COBOL) and the other one is Infosys.
I am confused to choose among these ๐Ÿ‘Ž. I love programming. But in Infosys I am not sure of getting what I want (a junior developer) ๐Ÿ˜”. So, I want some advice related to career growth if I choose the other company.
Plz suggest.
Thank you in advance ๐Ÿ˜€

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You didn't tell us about the other company. You should find out about careers in mainframes and see if it's something you'd like to opt. Otherwise, Infosys seems to be the better bet for you.
  • Sreekar B V
    Sreekar B V
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You didn't tell us about the other company. You should find out about careers in mainframes and see if it's something you'd like to opt. Otherwise, Infosys seems to be the better bet for you.
    The other company is attra infotech... #-Link-Snipped-#
    Sir, I couldn't find any quality info regarding mainframes. I just got IBM mainframe results almost everywhere. But I heard there s a lot of bench in Infosys which s not a good sign for fresher. ๐Ÿ‘Ž
  • avii
    avii
    Sreekar B V
    I love programming.
    What have you programmed so far? Do you have any (open source) projects to show case? Github?
  • Sreekar B V
    Sreekar B V
    N
    avii
    What have you programmed so far? Do you have any (open source) projects to show case? Github?
    I just love to program but haven't done anything til now. But love to take up coding challenges.
  • avii
    avii
    Sreekar B V
    But love to take up coding challenges.
    give some examples man... tell us what you have done so far
  • Sreekar B V
    Sreekar B V
    Sir I feel very excited n get involved in coding when someone asks to do it... Example... Ya.. Interviews where they ask me to write the logics..
  • avii
    avii
    ^so I take it you haven't coded anything other than some puzzles. Without having coded anything how do you know you love programming?

Here is what I suggest. If you are really sure you love programming, then do NOT join Infosys. And do NOT join Attra also. Join a start up. However if your financial condition is not good, then join any of them and start hunting for a new job.

If you are unsure about programming, then join Infosys. And start coding in your free time. Build a complete project. Then you will know whether programming is for you or not.
  • Sreekar B V
    Sreekar B V
    Thanks a lot for your suggestion sir.
    Will try to get into some start ups within the joining date of Infosys. Well and good if I get one. Otherwise will join Infosys. Thank you ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# - I think joining a startup company would be tougher for him because any startup company worth joining (by ditching Infosys) would mean he knows his coding stuff inside out. Which isn't the case here.

I think Infosys would be a better choice for him because he'll undergo training for few weeks. He'll then have the time to decide whether he should continue career in programming and development or look for something else.
  • avii
    avii
    ^yes I do agree it will be tough, but it will only for first few 1-2 months. Thats why I suggested that if he's sure about programming then join start up.

Infosys training ins't that great. Its better than what other companies do, but its not that great. He will learn on his own than Infosys training. They teach you like 6-7 subjects in 3 months, which is always a bad idea.

However if he isn't sure about programming then Infosys is better than Attra. And he can code in his free time and learn programming.
  • avii
    avii
    Problem with start ups are they don't pay high. If he's in financial trouble then better join Infosys.

However they do encourage beginners and learning programming wouldn't be that difficult.
  • Sreekar B V
    Sreekar B V
    Thanks for all the suggestions. It definitely helped me ๐Ÿ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

what is difference between Quality Assurance and Quality Control in automobile industries??
i am 2014 passout mechanical branch.....going to learn something..some of my seniors said, ''you can try NDT..take NDT training in any instituite...'' sir is it good to take training of...
What is Cyber Forensics?
With the news of massive private data leaks hitting the headlines each month, the Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence Laboratory (CSAIL) has come up with a protocol to help users...
I have accidentally deleted (Shift+Del) my Snaps folder which had my memories right from the childhood. Could anyone suggest the best free recovery or uneraser software tools to recover my...