Need suggestion - should I go for CDAC?

I will be completing my B.Tech in Electrical Engineering within a few months. I have a lot of interest in Embedded Systems. I make some simple circuits using microcontrollers and analog/digital devices and also help some of my friends with their projects.

I want to enter the Embedded domain. But I do not think that any good Embedded Systems company will consider me for employment since I am doing my graduation from a private college in West Bengal.

I already have a job offer from Cognizant(CTS). If I do decide to go for the CDAC DESD course, I may have to turn down the job offer from CTS since my joining date maybe during the duration of the course.

I am quite at ease with programming and so I don't mind joining Cognizant. But with people referring to it as a bodyshop, I am quite worried about getting any kind of meaningful work there.

But with CDAC, I am not sure about placement in the top line embedded companies like Rockwell/Honeywell/Siemens. It is not as if they take a lot of students. What if I do not get into these companies. Are the rest of the companies good enough for having a good start to my career?

Should I risk an assured job with CTS for a course where I may not be able to get placed with a company of comparable brand value or job opportunity?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Your decision would depend on several condition and one of them being your current financial condition. If finance won't be a problem then you're in a better situation to decide.

Overall, a generic approach I'd suggest is to take up the job with Cognizant and prepare for the CDAC exam and see whether you get a good center that has a proven track record of the placements in the domain you wish to enter. That should make your decision easier. If I'm not mistaken, CTS doesn't ask you to sign a bond so that could be an added advantage for you.

Assumption that embedded systems companies won't recruit a candidate from a private college won't recruit you needs to be checked with the facts.

If you are determined to make a career in embedded systems, I'd say keep your job with CTS anyway and keep looking for companies (smaller maybe) that would be willing to recruit you on the basis of your knowledge of the domain.

Overall the approach I'm suggesting is to keep your job with CTS and keep looking for an opportunity and don't hesitate making a switch as soon as you find the most appropriate one.

I hope this helps. Let's look forward to what others have to say. If you have questions or comments, feel free to post them below. It'd be nice to have you participate in discussions and help others with their queries about embedded systems and programming problems. All the best!
  • oprime
    oprime
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Your decision would depend on several condition and one of them being your current financial condition. If finance won't be a problem then you're in a better situation to decide.

Overall, a generic approach I'd suggest is to take up the job with Cognizant and prepare for the CDAC exam and see whether you get a good center that has a proven track record of the placements in the domain you wish to enter. That should make your decision easier. If I'm not mistaken, CTS doesn't ask you to sign a bond so that could be an added advantage for you.

Assumption that embedded systems companies won't recruit a candidate from a private college won't recruit you needs to be checked with the facts.

If you are determined to make a career in embedded systems, I'd say keep your job with CTS anyway and keep looking for companies (smaller maybe) that would be willing to recruit you on the basis of your knowledge of the domain.

Overall the approach I'm suggesting is to keep your job with CTS and keep looking for an opportunity and don't hesitate making a switch as soon as you find the most appropriate one.

I hope this helps. Let's look forward to what others have to say. If you have questions or comments, feel free to post them below. It'd be nice to have you participate in discussions and help others with their queries about embedded systems and programming problems. All the best!
    The current job market makes me worried. Even if I do get into a centre with proven placement record, during my time, the placements may not be that good.
    I had emailed someone who has enrolled in CDAC DESD course. In his centre, in the January 2012 batch, all 45 students were placed. In the July 2012 batch, out of 120, only 20 have been placed till now and the placement process is going on currently.

Most of the embedded system companies are in south India. I live in eastern part of India. So if I would have to shift permanently to south India to have any chance at landing a job in those companies. It is not as if they have vacancies every month.
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    My advice would be - STOP looking for the perfect job as a fresher. Almost everybody changes his domain/specialization after the first 2-3 years. The important thing is exposure to corporate culture and how businesses run. Once you have that, you can decide what works best for you - in some cases possibly starting your own embedded company in WB.
  • alok parmar
    alok parmar
    oprime
    The current job market makes me worried. Even if I do get into a centre with proven placement record, during my time, the placements may not be that good.
    I had emailed someone who has enrolled in CDAC DESD course. In his centre, in the January 2012 batch, all 45 students were placed. In the July 2012 batch, out of 120, only 20 have been placed till now and the placement process is going on currently.

Most of the embedded system companies are in south India. I live in eastern part of India. So if I would have to shift permanently to south India to have any chance at landing a job in those companies. It is not as if they have vacancies every month.
    hello oprime can you please let us know about the placement record of the DAC in the 2012/2013 batch because im worried about that there is no clear placament records available on the cdac official website. can you believe that ??

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to know about NIT Surathkal. They are offering M. Tech in marine structures. Is it applicable to Mechanical engineers too? or do we need degree in Civil engineering?...
Hello, I’ve applied to Sharda Group of Institute Noida and have applied in Shiv Nadar University also. Sharda was my first preference but I’ve heard so many good things about...
Hello All, I'm in final year of B.E.Civil Engg., as we need to submit a thesis on any project/topic I am looking for Recycled Concrete Aggregate. Can anybody give me...
hello guys. I m design a power factor compensation circuit for an industrial refrigeration plant. The plant operations show possible signs of harmonic contamination . Can you guys help me...
Calling the attention of all CEans. Well guys this is not a regular discussion thread, but rather this is just a questionnaire, which I am presenting to conduct a survey....