Need Help! I want to change my career from mechanical to IT

Hello,

I am pursuing b.tech in the mechanical field in 2016. But I have interest IT field. I want to join IT companies. But I have a doubt about my career. If I join IT field, will I face problems in future due to non-relevancy of my education and job? If I switch to another IT company after some experience in previous IT company, will I face problems while getting selected?

After all, what should I do to enter in IT field? What should I prepare to get selected in MNC companies like Infosys, Accenture, Cognizant, TCS and other big MNC companies?

Please help me, I am in a big confusion in choosing the right career path.

Replies

• pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    Nitin Pahwa
    If I join IT field, will I face problems in future due to non-relevancy of my education and job

As far as selection to companies like Infosys, Cognizant is concerned, the life is not that difficult. The only requirement to enter these organizations is basic programming skills like data structures, sorting, working with strings, databases etc. In fact, in my batch there were lot of mechanical and electrical engineers who successfully aced the interview and written examinations. So, do not worry about it so much.

Nitin Pahwa
    If I switch to another IT company after some experience in previous IT company, will I face problems while getting selected?
    Once you have gained some experience in the IT corporate, you will not face any problem in switching to another IT firm. In fact, the experience that you will gain in the first firm will go a long way in establishing you in other organizations as well.
  • Nitin Pahwa
    Nitin Pahwa
    proffy

As far as selection to companies like Infosys, Cognizant is concerned, the life is not that difficult. The only requirement to enter these organizations is basic programming skills like data structures, sorting, working with strings, databases etc. In fact, in my batch there were lot of mechanical and electrical engineers who successfully aced the interview and written examinations. So, do not worry about it so much.

Once you have gained some experience in the IT corporate, you will not face any problem in switching to another IT firm. In fact, the experience that you will gain in the first firm will go a long way in establishing you in other organizations as well.
    If I don't get selected in MNC's, then which course should I do? JAVA or PHP or Software testing?
  • pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    what is your objective behind learning one of the three technologies that you mentioned ? Elaborate on this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    As #-Link-Snipped-# mentioned, your degree or even qualifications won't matter once you're gained some experience. Most of the lateral recruitments are based upon your past professional experience.

You need to be absolutely sure why you wish to get into IT. It's a challenging field where you'll have to keep learning technologies and programming languages relevant to project you're working on.

In order to get into companies like Infosys or TCS and others, you'll need to be reasonably good at the basics of programming. You can take up any course - say Java or .Net and learn how software is built. You'll also have to be good at aptitude tests, logical reasoning etc. in order to get through the recruitment process.
  • Nitin Pahwa
    Nitin Pahwa
    proffy
    what is your objective behind learning one of the three technologies that you mentioned ? Elaborate on this.
    If I didn't get job in MNC's , I can get job in local companies to gain some experience and after that, i can move to big companies
  • Nitin Pahwa
    Nitin Pahwa
    Kaustubh Katdare
    As #-Link-Snipped-# mentioned, your degree or even qualifications won't matter once you're gained some experience. Most of the lateral recruitments are based upon your past professional experience.

You need to be absolutely sure why you wish to get into IT. It's a challenging field where you'll have to keep learning technologies and programming languages relevant to project you're working on.

In order to get into companies like Infosys or TCS and others, you'll need to be reasonably good at the basics of programming. You can take up any course - say Java or .Net and learn how software is built. You'll also have to be good at aptitude tests, logical reasoning etc. in order to get through the recruitment process.
    Thanks for your kind response 😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Home spawned domestic company Lava International has launched two new smartphones, A72 and A76 priced at Rs. 6,499 and Rs. 5,699 respectively. It is expected to be unveiling A89 too...
Hi all, Have you ever used the Idemitsu brand of lubricants in industrial or automotive applications? Is this brand of high quality? Where I am from in the caribbean region...
These recent days I have been thinking a lot about the masterpieces of the Indian film industry (this thought has been intensified when I came across an episode of a...
hello!!! iam Abhijeet in 3rd year pursuing my degree in computer science.I aim to be in BMW. what should i do? what are the fields of CS or softwares they...
Microsoft launches a workflow automation SaaS (Software-as-a-Service) service, Flow, which can create workflows between various apps and services, such as Office 365, OneDrive, Dropbox, Twitter and so on. Flow can...