Need guidance to choose a mba course

Hi,

I have more than 3 years of experience in software engineering, presently working with a software company in Bangalore.
I am planning to pursue my MBA from Annamalai Univeristy. I have got the following information from the Annamalai website about the courses.
M.B.A.(General)
M.B.A. E-Business

I have a few queries here:-
1. What is the scope E-Business in today's market condition?
2. Which of the above courses would suite me in my career growth?

In MBA General, we have 2 papers from Systems (Information Tech and Personal Productiivity tools) in 2nd year of MBA.
Since MBA E-business has got technical papers , I feel more interesting to do it. But people around me insists me to do MBA (General) with Systems papers in 2nd year.

Could you please advise me which one of the above would be better for me?

Regards,
Savitha

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Hello Savitha,

Welcome to CE. You'll have to answer couple of questions here -

1. Are you looking at full time course or part time?
    2. Could you give us overall view of the MBA in E-Business?
    3. Be extra careful about usefulness of MBA-General. Unless you have specific aims for MBA studies, you shouldn't go for MBA! What are your specific goals for which you wish to opt for MBA?

To answer your questions:

1. What is the scope E-Business in today's market condition?

Answer: Depends on many factors. By the time you get MBA in E-Business, the situation could be completely different from what it is today. Right now, as far as I know, there aren't many jobs in E-Business. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

2. Which of the above courses would suite me in my career growth?

Answer: MBA might help you get a new direction in your career. Usually, MBA from a reputed institute helps you get placed in companies that offer MBA-Specific roles. A software company may not be able to offer any new roles that require MBA.

I think better answers will follow once you share more information with us.
  • savithar
    savithar
    Hi _Big_K,

3. Be extra careful about usefulness of MBA-General. Unless you have specific aims for MBA studies, you shouldn't go for MBA! What are your specific goals for which you wish to opt for MBA?
  • savithar
    savithar
    Hi _Big_K,

Thanks for the quick response.
    Please find my answers to your questions inline.

- M looking for a correspondence course.

- I am pasting the syllabus of E-business and General in Systems
    M.B.A(E – Business)
    First Year:
    Management Concepts
    Marketing Management
    Human Resource Management
    Financial and Management Accounting
    E – Commerce
    Database Management System
    Management Information System
    Software Project Management

Second Year:
    Financial Management
    Strategic Management
    E - Commerce: Application and Securities
    Internet and Java Programming
    Advanced Web Development and Design Tools
    Enterprise Resource Planning
    Project Work and viva – voce
    (OR)
    Global Marketing
    Structured System Analysis and Design

M.B.A(General)
    First Year
    - Principles of Management
    - Financial and Management Accounting
    - Managerial Economics
    - Legal Environment of Business
    - Organizational Behavior
    - Written Analysis and Communication
    -Business Policy and Strategic Management
    - Research Methodology

Second Year
    - Human Resource Management
    - Marketing Management
    - Financial Management
    - Production and Materials Management
    - International Business
    - Project Management and Entrepreneurship
    - Project Study & Viva – Voce

(OR)
    Systems
    Personal Productivity Tools
    Information Technology

3. Be extra careful about usefulness of MBA-General.
    Unless you have specific aims for MBA studies, you shouldn't go for MBA! What are your specific goals for which you wish to opt for MBA?
    - I am a software Engineer and I want to be in the management side like a Project Manager. For which, I feel I need MBA to improve my management skills.

Regards,
    Savitha
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    - I am a software Engineer and I want to be in the management side like a Project Manager. For which, I feel I need MBA to improve my management skills.
    Thanks for the answers. I believe your aim makes it much easier to answer. Looking at the course contents, it's going to be bit tricky to select between the two courses.

Since you imagine yourself in the role of a project manager in the software field, the 'General MBA' options might be more useful to you. It specifically targets general project management. From my own experience, a manager in the software industry need not be proficient in coding or technical aspects of the project [ dabate, anyone? 😀 ]. Since you already have 3 years of experience, you'll have a very good domain knowledge over the next two years. So that when you step into the manager role, you'll be efficiently handle the technical aspects of the project you'll be handling.

You'll need to learn more of management technics. Major part of manager's work in a software field is about data analysis & communication; than technical.

E-Business, on the other side, looks more interesting as it's got technical topics. However, in my opinion, they might not be very relevant to your work. I suggest that you should talk to current students of E-Business management & friends/contacts who've already taken the course. Talk about usefulness of the course with them, it should make the picture clearer to you.

Friendly tip
    : Correspondence courses aren't very effective. Few of my own friends have been repainting after completing the course.
  • savithar
    savithar
    Thanks a lot Big K..... 😀
  • Leevonto
    Leevonto
    i like to study my Mba programme in symbiosis, online program, for thar kindly givr the details, reg thecourse offered,and duration, and if there is any time to join in 2008 itself.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can i run visual basic on linux ? if not what should i do ?
Here is the one Mega thread Regarding Cricket and Cricket lovers lets talk about Cricket,Live matches and everything Regarding Cricket here. Some Great Thread Related to Cricket: CCFL Fantasy game...
How to reduce cost & time for the mechanical maintenance procedure in morden system please try to help me for this.
i preetham from hyderabad with electrical background ;having 2 years experience in pharma & electronics.
hi CEans, life is so boring these days how many CEans can i count i am the first one iam starting this topic so any body else there in the...