need guidance on microcontrollers

Hello Guys,
I am a complete noob in this field but I got a lot fascinated as I came across it over the net. So basically to get started I wanted to design a microcontroller circuit which could turn LED lights on off via a computer(USB interface). As I googled around I got a lot of circuits but you see being not in this field I find it difficult to design my own circuits. btw Programming is not an issue. I can cope up with it..

So how should I go about?? Please I need your say on this..

Replies

• Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Welcome to CE blackpixel!

If you wish to use USB as the interface, I highly recommend you to check out the PIC18F4550 microcontroller. The PIC circuit itself is quite simple, however.. since its most likely that the PIC chip is empty, you'll need some additional tools to load the initial firmware.

We can help you develop the circuit, but you'll need to do some additional work such as purchasing the components and soldering them together.

The alternative is to get a PIC kit that is ready made, if you have the budget ๐Ÿ˜€
  • blackpixel0x17
    blackpixel0x17
    Well thanks a lot....

Yes I am ready to buy the tools required... just needed a green signal..

If you have any references, guides or books please post the link here.

btw not too much budget here... lets focus only on the essentials...
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    blackpixel0x17
    Hello Guys,
    I am a complete noob in this field but I got a lot fascinated as I came across it over the net. So basically to get started I wanted to design a microcontroller circuit which could turn LED lights on off via a computer(USB interface). As I googled around I got a lot of circuits but you see being not in this field I find it difficult to design my own circuits. btw Programming is not an issue. I can cope up with it..

So how should I go about?? Please I need your say on this..
    Welcome to Ce Blackpixel

Nice to see you here as you are interested in microcontroller let us know when you get Green signal ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • blackpixel0x17
    blackpixel0x17
    Well see, I am finding it difficult to source the tools required... I will have to go to Mumbai especially for that... thats a long way from where I live..

Is there any virtual software where I can practice making circuits.. program microcontrollers and run the whole thing...?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    blackpixel0x17
    Well see, I am finding it difficult to source the tools required... I will have to go to Mumbai especially for that... thats a long way from where I live..

Is there any virtual software where I can practice making circuits.. program microcontrollers and run the whole thing...?
    You can fond good tools here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • blackpixel0x17
    blackpixel0x17
    Yes... Thank you...

But I could do with some help on this..

See the thing is I dont know which is good and which will suit me. So it would be great if you would suggest me a software...

We used to work on Proteus in our lab, so anything like that which involves microcontrollers would be good..
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    if you want to write Program for microcontroller

there are different IDE for different microcontroller

eg

MPLAB for PIC
    Codewarrior for Freescale
    KEIL for NXP
    IAR for TI

and Circuit maker or Protel or Eagle are good for Circuit drawing
  • debu
    debu
    @backpixel0x17: Debu's Innovations: USB-101 may be of assistance.

Regards,

Debu ๐Ÿ˜€
  • cranky
    cranky
    can someone give tips using atmega too?
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    cranky
    can someone give tips using atmega too?
    @Fireball: Can you please give some information as you are working on this.. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • blackpixel0x17
    blackpixel0x17
    This a link on noob tutorials which I found out:

#-Link-Snipped-#

sorry if anybody has already posted this link in another thread..
  • cranky
    cranky
    godfather
    @Fireball: Can you please give some information as you are working on this.. ๐Ÿ˜€
    fireball๐Ÿ˜•?

• ATmega 16 is another mcu from atmel.It has 16kb of in system programmable(ISP-programming/burning of the mcu can be done without removing it from system)flash memory.

• Plus you have on chip PWM(pulse width modulation for speed control)

• It is more advantageous than the atmega8 in the context that it has ADC(port a)so we don't have to use a separate comparator.

Apart from this,I would like to know more about the pins ๐Ÿ˜’๐Ÿ˜’(especially the meaning of pins 9,10)
  • blackpixel0x17
    blackpixel0x17
    I am going to buy all the stuff in a day or two so can anyone share with me the prices at which I am supposed to buy..(everything from scratch)

Any link would be helpful..

Thanks in advance..
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    @ Cranky...

fireball is CE Member and he is working on ATMEL controller thats why i had mention his name may be he can post some good stuff related ATMEL here.
  • cranky
    cranky
    godfather
    @ Cranky...

fireball is CE Member and he is working on ATMEL controller thats why i had mention his name may be he can post some good stuff related ATMEL here.
    Oh since you had quoted my reply,I answered...sorry๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”

FIREBALL FIREBALL..wherever you are..please come to the rescue
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    cranky
    Oh since you had quoted my reply,I answered...sorry๐Ÿ˜”๐Ÿ˜”

FIREBALL FIREBALL..wherever you are..please come to the rescue
    oh.. you are most welcome cranky ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • fireball
    fireball
    Hi Cranky...
    Sorry for being late to have a look on this post...
    so you are working on atmega16....
    Choice of microcontroller mainly depends on the application for which u are designing the embedded system.
    So please clarify about your target application.
    In comparison to Atmega 8 the main advantage of Atmega16 is: Atmga 16 is compatible with JTAG which allows to debug the application via ICE (in circuit emulator) whereas with Atmga 8 u can only simulate.
    Also u have not mentioned the packaging of Atmega16 u are using, i mean whether it is DIP or TQFP because both package have differnt function on pins 9 & 10.....

For flash programming: Atmega16 has 2 option one is through SPI and another is through JTAG (available tool is JTAG ICE) , whereas Atmeag8 has one option via SPI.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Thank you very much fireball for your reply...
    i also want to learn about atmega16
  • cranky
    cranky
    fireball
    Hi Cranky...
    Sorry for being late to have a look on this post...
    so you are working on atmega16....
    Choice of microcontroller mainly depends on the application for which u are designing the embedded system.
    So please clarify about your target application.
    In comparison to Atmega 8 the main advantage of Atmega16 is: Atmga 16 is compatible with JTAG which allows to debug the application via ICE (in circuit emulator) whereas with Atmga 8 u can only simulate.
    Also u have not mentioned the packaging of Atmega16 u are using, i mean whether it is DIP or TQFP because both package have differnt function on pins 9 & 10.....

For flash programming: Atmega16 has 2 option one is through SPI and another is through JTAG (available tool is JTAG ICE) , whereas Atmeag8 has one option via SPI.
    thanks๐Ÿ˜

I am working on line follower(so wondering if i nee 16 for five sensors)..can you please explain tqfp,dip,spi๐Ÿ˜•๐Ÿ˜•

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi i am final year student of electronics so, give me suggestion for project.
How an 3 phase alternator is used as a starting device for starting of a Gas turbine generator set using static frequency converter.
hi this s vinora from chenai india hope this forum should be productive
I am doing my last year of IT engineering & i have interest in the field of Artificial intelligence . So i was searching for any ideas for for project...
hai all, my query is rather a general one.Ive seen that most microcontrollers use R,C connected in series near to the RESET button in the internal circuitry.I want to know...