Need guidance on Linux

Hi ppl.....i have started using ubuntu 9.0.4 and this is my firs time for any open source OS. And i literally don't know anything about it. So plz help me out.

Replies

• durga ch
    durga ch
    what??
    May be you need Ubutunu help sections.
    Official Ubuntu Documentation
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think I can help you get started. But I don't know at what point are you stuck. I'm assuming you've installed the OS on your computer and have a login, preferably an admin login. To get started, you'll have to explore the options available on the taskbar at the top.

If you need help, ask specific questions, please 😀
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    durga
    what??
    May be you need Ubutunu help sections.
    Official Ubuntu Documentation
    thanks for the help....it was really helpful...

I think I can help you get started. But I don't know at what point are you stuck. I'm assuming you've installed the OS on your computer and have a login, preferably an admin login. To get started, you'll have to explore the options available on the taskbar at the top.

If you need help, ask specific questions, please :smile:
    I installed it but i was unable to install the softwares like adobe reader, vlc etc.....
  • abhinya
    abhinya
    nicepeeyush
    Hi ppl.....i have started using ubuntu 9.0.4 and this is my firs time for any open source OS. And i literally don't know anything about it. So plz help me out.
    Ubuntu is the best that you can use.
    The latest version is 10.04 LTS.
    Head to ubuntuforums.org
    The one stop solution to all your Linux woes.
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Hello peeyush,
    If you are new in ubuntu try to follow this "System->Administration->Synaptic package manager".
    It helps you to download packages for the softwares like vlc,java,mp3 players,c++,c,adobe reader.....and many more.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Thank u all for your help......
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hi Peeyush as you said you are new to Linux i'll not suggest you to use Ubuntu better use Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu(which too is a Debian Based Linux). Linux mint is 100% Ubuntu but with some extra features to support beginners as you are, intermediate user as me, and advanced users as professionals.
    I am asking you to go for Linux Mint because it supports multimedia features to play songs and movies(it only lacks amr plug-in for music else ever thing is fine you can download amr plug-in when needed), GIMP 2.4 with all plug-ins and feature pre-installed which is image manupulation and image editing software of Pro image editing level like Adobe Photoshop(Believe me it can do more than Photoshop). And it also have a basic development features for developers and even can be used as power user. It is so easy to use that every Windows user will find it easy to use, if you still need hel,p there comes a pop up after installation of system which shows link to download a 3MB PDf file to begin with.Try it happy computing.
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hi Peeyush as you said you are new to Linux i'll not suggest you to use Ubuntu better use Linux Mint which is based on Ubuntu(which too is a Debian Based Linux). Linux mint is 100% Ubuntu but with some extra features to support beginners as you are, intermediate user as me, and advanced users as professionals.
    I am asking you to go for Linux Mint because it supports multimedia features to play songs and movies(it only lacks amr plug-in for music else every thing is fine you can download amr plug-in when needed), GIMP 2.4 with all plug-ins and feature pre-installed which is image manipulation and image editing software of Pro image editing level like Adobe Photoshop(Believe me it can do more than Photoshop). And it also have a basic development features for developers and even can be used as power user. It is so easy to use that every Windows user will find it easy to use, if you still need help there comes a pop up after installation of system which shows link to download a 3MB PDf file to begin with.Try it. Happy Computing.
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hi Mohit i visited your blog and it is really cool, by reading your articles i think you are a power user of computer. By the way i am not satisfied by your quotes "If hacking== reverse engineering" don't do this. So far as i know before computers evolved to bigger level Electrical and Electronic Engineers used to modify circuits so as to make equipments work better than before, they use to call this as circuit hack. Later on when computer became more than just a hardware for common people software geeks applied same methods to tweak computer codes. Later on altering electronic devices for modification was termed as Reverse Engineering and the persons expert in computer hardware as well as software were termed as Hackers. Later development of Internet lead to more powerful computer professionals and then Hackers got there todays definition(A person with good knowledge of computer hardware, software, Internet and computer security is known as Hacker).By the way this definition always remained among Computer Professionals because movies and media always portrayed hacker as criminal. Even today Certified Hackers use tools and experience to scan security of systems and provide necessary solution to security related problems which again is a Reverse Engineering. So as per me hacking since got its name, it was always a Reverse Engineering Process and even today it is nothing but a reverse engineering to make things work better.
  • mayjune
    mayjune
    I totally agree, Mint has a much better interface to get you started. It will not only make you feel comfortable it has properties of windows, thus the initial transition would be very nice for you. Later you can go in depth if you want....

All the best
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    ubuntu is a decent enough platform for a newbie!! follow the instructions below to install popular software like, vlc, adobe reader, flash, and mp3 codec support:

1. The first step is to add the medibuntu repository which has these software available and lots more.

Open the terminal (press Alt + F2 and type gnome-terminal and hit enter) copy and paste the following command on it to add the medibuntu repository.

sudo wget --output-document=/etc/apt/sources.list.d/medibuntu.list https://www.medibuntu.org/sources.list.d/$(lsb_release -cs).list && sudo apt-get --quiet update && sudo apt-get --yes --quiet --allow-unauthenticated install medibuntu-keyring && sudo apt-get --quiet update
    2. Now that we have the repository added we will install the software. First we go for win32 codecs, which will allow you to play non-free media format.

sudo apt-get install w32codecs
    NOTE: If you have a 64-bit system with 64 bit ubuntu, replace w32 with w64 OK!!

If you don't like the terminal way of doing things, type sudo synaptic and the package manager GUI will open so that you can search for all the software and install them!!

Go to Medibuntu - Community Help Wiki for more help!!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

CEans, We are extending the 'Best Thread Contributor' competition dates. We'll judge the new threads submitted till August 14 and announce the winner on August 15, 2010. We expect to...
What do you people think is more important in IT industry: Having a masters degree or getting work experience in those 2 years?
Can anyone explain me the working principle of ball point pen???
hi everyone....nikhil here a mechanical engineer. hope to get help as well as give help when ever needed.
Hi all hope u all doin fine. I am a final year aeronautical engineering student. I will do a final year thesis about damage tolerance. it is something new, well...