Need for regulating the civil engineering profession in India

A petition to the supreme court of India to regulate the profession of civil engineering in India.

Civil Engineers play a prominent role in development of the nation; their services are required to implement the various development works for the benefit of society and nation.
Civil engineers working in both government and private sector are responsible for planning, designing and executing construction work

It is well established that the influence of the construction industry spans across several sub-sectors of the economy as well as the infrastructure development The contribution of construction to the GDP at factor cost in 2006–07 was Rs 196555 crore, With around 27770 enterprises involved directly in the activity of construction in 2005, the industry is one of the largest employers in the country and is characterized by a mix of both organized and unorganized entities. In 2005, 31.46 million personnel comprising engineers, technicians, foremen, clerical staff, and skilled and unskilled workers were employed in the industry.. (Planning Commission, 2008)
Construction activity is an integral part of a country’s infrastructure and industrial development. It includes hospitals, schools, townships, offices, houses and other buildings; urban infrastructure (including water supply, sewerage, drainage); highways, roads, ports, railways, airports; power systems; irrigation and agriculture systems; telecommunications etc. Covering as it does such a wide spectrum, construction becomes the basic input for socio-economic development. #-Link-Snipped-#
The construction industry was accorded Industrial Concern Status under the Industrial Development Bank of India (Amendment) Act, thereby providing the much-needed impetus in terms of availability of finance to the construction industry.
As the leaders of the construction industry Civil Engineers are primarily responsible for the welfare, safety, and health of workers and society alike.
Failures during and after construction can lead to loss of life and property#-Link-Snipped-#.
Structures should be designed to withstand natural hazards (earthquakes, Tsunami, cyclone etc), constructed according to accepted code of practice and strictly monitored during execution stage. Adherence of standards should be ensured through regulatory provisions.(Building a New Techno-Legal
Regime for Safer India- BMTPC)

Construction activities are also characterized by poor training, temporary relationships between the employer and the employee, uncertain working hours, lack of basic amenities, inadequacy of welfare facilities, and casual approach of employers towards the problems of employees. In the absence of adequate statutory provisions, the requisite information regarding the nature and number of accidents is also not generally available. (Planning Commission, 2008)

()
The Engineers Bill has been having a painfully torturous journey in the legislative process by the
Government. Although it has been in process for over 20 years, it is very unfortunate that the Engineers Bill has not become the Engineers Act as yet. (ACCE(I), Oct-Dec 2011).

A legal framework for regulating the profession of civil engineering and construction industry should be initiated without any further delay, for this purpose the intervention of the honorable court is sought. So that the legislature is directed to promulgate a law governing and regulating civil engineer and the profession of civil engineering.#-Link-Snipped-#

An institutional mechanism should be provided to ensure that
civil engineers adhere to best ethical standards, and opportunity is provided for their career and professional knowledge development. This is not only in the interest of the civil engineer but it is required for the safety and welfare of the society as a whole

The Royal Charter accorded to Institution of Engineers (India) by the King of England and emperor of India is still prominently displayed on the website of the Institute. IEI represents India in Engineers Mobility Forum (EMF), also examinations conducted by IEI are considered equivalent to engineering degree by UPSC.

A professional body having so wide a recognition (#-Link-Snipped-#) and representing India in international forums (#-Link-Snipped-# Mobility.aspx) should be recognized by law enacted by the elected representatives of the republic of India ,to give genuine legitimacy and to bring it in line with current development in academia/industry .

It is imperative to mention that the professions of architect, doctor, pharmacist, dentist, chartered accountant are regulated in India#-Link-Snipped-#. There can be no explanation not to include the profession of civil engineering in a national legal framework.

It is the humble request of the petitioner urging the honorable court to consider this as an public interest litigation and to instruct the State to fulfill its obligation to protect the life and safety of the people as enshrined under Article 21.
The state of Gujarat has already enacted Professional Civil Engineers Act.#-Link-Snipped-#
Too much time has already being spent on draft preparation and discussions.#-Link-Snipped-#It is in this context that the intervention of the honorable court is sought that the legislature be directed to enact the said engineers act.

#-Link-Snipped-# (#-Link-Snipped-#)
#-Link-Snipped-# Gangaram building collapse ,Bangalore - 1983
Gandhinagar building collapse, Bellary - 2010
Swaminarayan Vidhyamandir Higher Secondary School collapse, (Gujarat earthquake) – 2001
Delhi metro bridge collapse,(Zamrudpur) – 2009
Balco chimney collapse, Korba – 2009
Kota Chambal Bridge collapse- 2009
Ultadanga flyover collapse-, Kolkata – 2013
Khatav mansion collapse, Mumbai – 2009
Dhankawadi building collapse, Pune (illegal construction) - 2012

#-Link-Snipped-# REPORT OF THE WORKING GROUP ON CONSTRUCTION FOR THE 11TH FIVE YEAR PLAN(2007-2012)
#-Link-Snipped-# THE ARCHITECTS ACT, 1972 .THE INDIAN MEDICAL COUNCIL ACT, 1956 .THE PHARMACY ACT, 1948 .THE DENTISTS ACT, 1948 .THE CHARTERED ACCOUNTANTS ACT, 1949.
#-Link-Snipped-# PDF

#-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-#Engineers%20Bill.pdf

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Well, not really but they are catching up quick. The research on low-cost artificial hands has been fruitful and the organization has released a clip of yet another milestone achieved...
hi i want to construct the suspension bridge model kindly help me with the suitable information like model, materials to be used, etc thanks in advance for helping
Dear CEan's please explain me briefly that can Reynolds Number be changed in any design compatible to orifice parameters?
in my college someone did facebook confession page, I don't knw who they are. Bt I challenged them tat, defiantly I will find u,so I need to find them ,I...
We know that phase shift of 3phase system 360° & phase angle is 120°,but for 2 phase why the phase angle is 90°,why nt 180°??