CrazyEngineers
  • Admin:

I participate in half a dozen engineering forums. Posting technical engineering material very, very often requires the capability to use subscripts and superscripts in mathematical equations, chemical reactions, etc. Most of the forums that I participate in have that capability in their message editors and almost all of them use BB or vB code and Wysiwyg editors ... so I know that the capability to use subscripts and superscripts is available.

I strongly suggest that you consider making that capability available to users of this forum.

Perhaps, the easiest thing to do is to turn on HTML as well as vB code ... because HTML has that capability.

Regards,
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Replies
  • xheavenlyx

MemberSep 20, 2007

Thats a good idea, hope Biggie makes the change. I still have to learn how to use these features for their full capabilities.
    Are you sure? This action cannot be undone.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorSep 20, 2007

I'm aware of the problem that Mr. Beychok mentioned. For an engineering forum, ability to have subscripts & superscripts. However there is a big problem with HTML or VBScript enabling - It makes the site vulnerable to attacks.

I've not yet toyed with the BB code. Will try it out and update soon.

-The Big K-
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberSep 20, 2007

Oh yea.. thats a good idea. Things like integral and differential signs, Fourier transform stuff, etc. One alternative is to use that Microsoft Equation object in Word and insert as a picture. But that involves so many steps.
    Cancel
  • mbeychok

MemberSep 20, 2007

Admin:

You might want to look at these forums:

(1) Eng-Tips Forums at <a href="https://www.eng-tips.com/threadminder.cfm?pid=798" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">Chemical process engineering Forum - Eng-Tips</a>, scroll to bottom of page and click on "Process TGML" and see their extensive list of tags.

(2) Chemical-Engineering-Forum at #-Link-Snipped-#and see their [sup] and [sub] tags.

(3) CR4 Forum at [FONT=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]#-Link-Snipped-#[/FONT] and see their
    X2 and X² tags.
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

...anyone here doubts why the Administrator calls himself 'Good Administrator' 😉

A warm Welcome to everyone[sup]2[/sup] ! 😁

How are you?

I just drank a glass full of H[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub] & then ran at a speed of 1.5x10[sup]2[/sup] m/sec!

Have fun!

-The Big K-
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

Forgot to explain how to add superscripts & subscripts to your text.

For subscripts, use the "sub" tag in square brackets, without the quotes.
    For superscripts, user the "sup" tag in square brackets, without the quotes.

-The Big K-
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberSep 20, 2007

Yay![sup]2[sup]2[sup]2[/sup][/sup][/sup] Can we add some maths symbols too?
    Cancel
  • mbeychok

MemberSep 21, 2007

Admin:

Thanks very much for your very prompt provision for using subscripts and superscripts!!

May I suggest, that for the great many users of this forum who may never read this thread, you include an explanation of how to use subscripts and superscripts in the message editing/posting box?

Regards, Milt Beychok
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorSep 21, 2007

Right now, we cannot use mathematical symbols in posts. But we'll see if we can develop such utility.

For subscripts, use following tags around the text-
    "sub" text "/sub" ( Replace the quotes with square brackets [ ] )
    For superscripts, use following tags around the text-
    "sup" text "/sup" ( Replace the quotes with square brackets [ ] )

So, to write H[sub]2[/sub]SO[sub]4[/sub] , I will type -

H "sub"2"/sub" SO "sub"4"/sub" ( Of course, replace the quotes with square brackets [ ] )

-The Big K-
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberOct 19, 2007

Hey Big K! I cam across this thread over at the Physics Forum. They use LaTex to display the maths symbols. Is it possible to implement this without compromising the site's security?

#-Link-Snipped-#

It'll be awesome if we could use it! 😀
    Cancel
  • Prasad Ajinkya

MemberOct 19, 2007

Awesome response time Biggie 😀
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorOct 19, 2007

ash
    Hey Big K! I cam across this thread over at the Physics Forum. They use LaTex to display the maths symbols. Is it possible to implement this without compromising the site's security?

#-Link-Snipped-#

It'll be awesome if we could use it! 😀
    You guys are just great 😁 . Give me some time to understand the LaTex system. I'm bit too busy traveling around.

kidakaka
    Awesome response time Biggie 😀
    <- that's what I am! 😁 Thanks a ton!

-The Big K-
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberOct 21, 2007

Cool, thanks Big K! If you need some extra help finding out how to implement, i'll do some extra research if you want 😉
    Cancel
  • Ashraf HZ

MemberApr 6, 2008

Going on a roll with looking through vb addons, I found this one that can add LaTex symbols.. but as images, however.

<a href="https://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=91545" target="_blank" rel="nofollow noopener noreferrer">[latex][/latex] bbcode - vBulletin.org Forum</a>

Its for vb version 3.5.. I wonder if it is still compatible, biggie?
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorApr 6, 2008

Yep, I guess there is compatibility issue.
    Cancel
  • xheavenlyx

MemberApr 7, 2008

Once upon a time at a grocery store.[sup].[sup].[sup].[sup].[sup].[/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup]

Shop Keeper: blah[sub]h[sub]h[sub]h[sub]h[sub]h[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub] blah[sup]h[sup]h[sup]h[sup]h[sup]h[/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup][/sup]

Customer: NOOoo[sub]O[sub]O[/sub][/sub][sub][sub][sub]O[sub]O[sub]O[/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub][/sub]
    Cancel
  • Kaustubh Katdare

AdministratorApr 7, 2008

Nice creativity, xHx. The problem is that members don't use the subscript & superscript facility.

Therefore, any add-on, won't be added unless the 'need' is felt. Otherwise, its difficult to battle with the compatibility issue that's common with all the plugins.
    Cancel
  • ForexGuides

MemberMay 4, 2009

I participate in half a dozen engineering forums. Posting technical engineering material very, very often requires the capability to use subscripts and superscripts in mathematical equations, chemical reactions, etc. Most of the forums that I participate in have that capability in their message editors and almost all of them use BB or vB code and Wysiwyg editors ... so I know that the capability to use subscripts and superscripts is available.
    Cancel
Home Channels Search Login Register