National Students' Space Challenge 7th - 9th Sept 2012 IIT Kharagpur

National Students' Space Challenge is an event dedicated for space science and engineering. Looking for a first-hand experience at solving some of the real-time challenges faced by engineers all over the world? Just want to have a good time learning stuff about space technology and catching up on astronomy?
NSSC 2012 is happening on 7th-9th September @ IIT Kharagpur.

Anyone here participating in the contest? Let us discuss here before the challenge begins.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This looks interesting. What sort of events will be conducted here? Anyone from IIT Kharagpur who can share the details?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Okay, I just checked their website and it says the events include -

Armdroid
    The participants have to build a manually controlled robotic arm which is stationary i.e., its contact point with ground should be fixed. It has to pick up puzzle pieces from their initial position and place them in their respective fitting zones (as in a jigsaw puzzle). These cavities/fitting zones will be present in a circular arena with outermost radius 50cm (refer to the tutorial for specifications).
    Note : Weight of pieces would be of maximum 50gm and maximum dimensions would be 8cm*8cm*8cm.
    Dock-it

The team has to build a 2 bot system capable of functioning underwater. The system should consist of a primary bot (which acts as the dock) and a secondary bot (which can attach itself to the primary bot). The system has to traverse a 3-dimensional maze. At the end of the maze, the primary bot has to release the secondary bot into a rectangular chamber containing a ring at the other end. The secondary bot has to activate the switch embedded in this ring by pressing it, return to the primary bot and attach itself to it. Thereafter, the system as a whole has to move to the flag point, without displacing the 2 bots from their positions relative to each other.
    "Bot refers to anything that can move of its own. System refers to the combination of primary and secondary bot."

Lift-Off

The participants are required to design and build a single stage water rocket. The rocket is to be launched at any angle with respect to the horizontal as per the choice of the team. The winner will be decided on the basis of the rules mentioned below.

Ski-trek

The participants are required to design a manually controlled bot which has to climb a vertical pole of square cross-section and transfer cuboid objects from one platform to another. The platforms will be situated at various heights on separate poles which will be distributed through an angle of 180 degrees around the pole occupied by the bot. The platforms will be at a distance of 35 cm from the central rod.

D-Space

This planet has a history of being crashed into by some passing-by asteroid and getting life wiped out of her. Statistics are starting to suggest that a few asteroids are planning to cross paths with Earth again. People finally realise the gravity of the situation and countries all over the world join hands to build a planetary defence system to protect their home from such asteroids. Hence they invite designs from teams all over the world to provide an optimum solution to this problem. Your team has to build a Planetary defense system by the year 2035 A.D. to protect Earth from asteroid attacks. You need to submit the proposal for it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i m a 3rd year student.what should i do after my B.tech?give some details of entrance exam that i can acknowledge my study..i will appear on gate .. but do...
Screen Name:sac8 In Brief Present situation: Completed my B.Tech recently,trained in networking,CCNA,looking to write certs. Hobbies & Interests: Browsing,Blogging,Watching Movies,Angry Birds,Mobiles,Tech guy I joined CrazyEngineers because: I thought this place...
Hey there!!!! Welcome to my Intro Post. Official Name : Kuldeep Singh Rathor Real Name : Kuldeep Singh Rathore (कुलदीप सिंह राठौड) (yeah. you read it right. 😉) Engineering Trade...
I'm planning to make a music visualizer in html5. It is basically a bar visualizer. I need to know the basics of a visualizer. Also, if I have 24 bars...
I found a funny illustration of VLC Media Player. See how they've used it to show the loading, downloading, installing, seachring and not responding version of the music player -