NASA's Global Hawk Aircraft Will Help Improve Hurricane Tracking And Intensity Forecasts

NASA's Global Hawk | NASA is a remotely piloted aircraft is on a new mission to support National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration's (#-Link-Snipped-#) mission to improve the overall tracking of hurricanes and forecast their intensity. The Global Hawk is completely operated by the ground crew located at NASA's Wallops Flight Facility and its new mission will be called SHOUT, which stands for Sensing Hazards with Operational Unmanned Technology. This mission will be an extension of earlier collaborative missions taken up by NASA to use Global Hawk aircraft as a weather forecasting tool.

The Global Hawk will fly above hurricanes and other storms, at an altitude of about 60,000 ft, to collect important data about weather patterns. The aircraft has been engineered to keep recording data continuously for about 24 hours and help scientists figure out how powerful and intense these storms or hurricanes are. This information will allow the authorities to take necessary actions to improve nation's preparedness to face the storm.

Global-Hawk-Hurricane-Tracking
Photo Credit: NASA​

One of the biggest advantage of Global Hawk is that it can stay over hurricanes and storm for a longer period of time over manned aircrafts. The Global Hawk can thus act as observation tool that has the endurance of a satellite and collect data with far better resolution and precision.

The Global Hawk will be equipped with lot of sensing instruments that will help determine the profile of the storms. These include temperature sensors, wind-speed measurement, direction and pressure sensors along with HIWRAP (High Altitude Imaging Wind and Rain), HAMSR (High Altitude MMIC Sounding Radiometer) and LIP (Lightening Instrument Package).

In the next trial, the team of scientists will check whether the data obtained from Global Hawk can act as a substitute for the data collected by weather satellites. Read further details about the new mission on the source link below.

Source: NASA Remotely Piloted Aircraft to Begin NOAA Hurricane Mission | NASA

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hai this is ajay nd gud eve to every one then my project on cleaning machine. i need information of machine nd it should be the help machine in a...
Hello everybody, For a new project we are looking into a more research orientated approach. Our company wants to invest into the best avaible products. So my question would be...
Just came to know about Flipkart Ping - an instant messaging service that integrates with the existing Flipkart app to let buyers chat with each other and even with the...
What are my options to pursue an MS in automotive engineering and a career in the same? I'm a final year mechanical engineering student from a not so good college...
In my experience of travelling with a smartphone whose battery is dying, I've found that is the phone's using 3G, the battery dies faster as against when it is on...