NASA Astronaut Don Pettit Establishes The First Mailing Address In Space!

If the present ISS occupant, NASA astronaut Don Pettit, is to be believed, there can exist a fixed mailing address for the god-speed International Space Station, continuously orbiting the earth at 17,000 miles per hour, the know-how of which he has posted on his #-Link-Snipped-#.
#-Link-Snipped-#
Here's how he explains his address-
My sleep station, a coffin-sized box, is located in the fifth deck space of Node 2. From an Earth-based perspective, I pop out of my sleep station as if I were coming out of the floor. I am thus situated on the International Space Station (ISS) in Low Earth Orbit (LEO) with an orbital inclination of 51.6 degrees (the angle of our orbit plane to the equator) and an average altitude of 400 kilometers. It occurred to me that my address should be: Node 2, Deck 5, ISS, LEO 51.603.

The postal nomenclature he has come up with, has the “zip code” as 51.603, where the first three digits stand for the orbital inclination (which'll prove highly helpful for future space couriers to pinpoint any address on the orbit) and the last two digits stand for the specified position of the ISS itself. The space station is the third of its kind at this orbital location, following the Salyut series of stations and Mir. Pettit believes that this nomenclature should function till the time the orbit gets congested with nearly 99 space stations.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

The Tesla K10 GPU accelerator from NVIDIA will now do more in two of the most crucial industries that support the economy of any country, the oil & gas industry...
How would you like your favorite search engine to become all the more awesome? Yes, please! Knowledge Graph, Google's new semantic search, is already spreading across all Google Search tools,...
Working towards a sustainable future, Intel has released its Corporate Responsibility Report 2011 that states its environment-friendly vision for 2020. On one hand Intel's attempt is to improve the company's...
Global oil resources are depleting at a faster rate than ever before. When it comes to vehicle emissions, we often talk about cars, but the real big-gun to blame is...
How about a robotic pet squirrel climbing on to your shoulders? Or can you imagine entering the security check at an airport and a robot climbing your shirt and pants...