Nanotube Fibers: The Future Of Conductors?

Engineers at Rice University and Israel's Technion University have created the nanotube fibers which exhibit totally unique properties. First the conductivity is 10 times that of the graphite conductors, strength is 100x & weight it 1/6th that of steel. Now those properties make the nanotube fibers unique.

I'm guessing whether we're already witnessing the development of future of the conductors? These nanotube fibers have the capability of solving the most common problems associated with conductors (weight & durability).

There's no information about the kind of losses that take place though. I'm assuming that since the conductivity is 10x; the losses would definitely be lesser than what we get through traditional metallic conductors (or am I wrong?).

What do you think?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Super conductors in atmospheric temperature are possible only with more exploration in nano scale I think this is a great for all man kind

Almost 100% efficient conductors will them self remove a part of our power crisis
  • sksaxena
    sksaxena
    #-Link-Snipped-# :
    I've already presented a paper on Nanotubes(CNTs). So friends let me inform you of very very fundamental issues in this regard :

1. In present day scenario and in future, manufacturing of such tubes is very expensive. It is NOT economic at all. So, it will definitely never replace the copper as conductor. for power transmissions.
    #-Link-Snipped-# : They are NOT meant to reduce so called 'power crisis' or something. They are under research and is a subject of interest because they can really help in improving some of the complex electronic devices to a great extent. They could be very useful in fields like space exploration, where we deal with highly sophisticated devices. I won't mention the details here.

2. The pollution caused by the manufacture of these tubes is an extremely important matter of concern. Hence, it's production is limited to lab. research purposes only.
  • Maratiraju
    Maratiraju
    #-Link-Snipped-#: you are misunderstanding nanotube fibers..removal of power crisis based on them is way beyond future. Buddy, they are used in considerably small scale device applications.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Maratiraju
    #-Link-Snipped-#: you are misunderstanding nanotube fibers..removal of power crisis based on them is way beyond future. Buddy, they are used in considerably small scale device applications.
    Hey never said they can be used today Just understand a post 100% here friend

I said if you are too have super conductors which are stable in atmospheric temperature Then we need innovations in nano scale Cos they have real high conductivity
  • Maratiraju
    Maratiraju
    Ya, I agree..But dear friend..In this thread, we are talking of scope based upon Nanotube fibers..not some superconductors.. The way you are directing the application of these fibers is NOT correct. I just wanted to explain that. Hope you understand

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Love free music on your phone? Gaana.com has launched an app for the Android, iOS, Blackberry, Nokia and Samsung platforms - that lets you have access to millions of the...
The next smartphone to wait for is definitely the Samsung Galaxy S4 and Samsung's finally confirmed that the upcoming Galaxy S4 screen will be massive 4.99" wide (diagonally), will have...
hii,this is martin sujith.I am persuing my engineering in information technology.I am intrested in knowing about new technologies.I joined crazy engineers becoz to gain knowledge.
My name is Sunil Tyagi, an civil engineering graduate. Presently I am working as Deputy Chief Engineer/Projects with Delhi Metro Rail Corporation. My aim is to excel in the field...
Where I work, companywide we use a free software 'edrawings' from Dassault systems to view compatible drawings from any source. Dassault systems is now offering a $2 app that runs...