MySQL Cluster - Highly Reliable, Speedy Database Solution

I just stumbled upon the following video on Oracle website:

#-Link-Snipped-#

Can someone talk about how is it different from typical databases? More interesting information here - #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Seems promising... I guess Oracle DB is gonna be replaced by MySQL, but why do they do that?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The Mysql Cluster isn't a dig at the Oracle; as far as I'm aware. They're talking about a new technology, I guess. Looking forward to responses from CS engineers.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Let me get some more information from my friend at Oracle... 😀
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Can we expect more responses from compute science engineers here? 😀
  • Prashant Munshi
    Prashant Munshi
    At outset let me confess that I'm not a CS engineer by academic degree but have been working in the field of databases for some 17+ years, so taking this privilege to answer this question.

The lexical meaning of the word cluster is "grouping of related items held together" and that's what it also applicable to databases. There are two types of database clustering commercially available - Shared Nothing (SN) and Shared Everything (SE). The MySQL clustering falls in the former (SN) of these two categories, whereas Oracle's RAC falls in the second category (SE), though former is also possible with Oracle, in which case they call is as "distributed databases". Actually Shared Nothing by far is distributed database and it has several databases each running on different machine (called nodes), independently but networked together, with each database is complete in its own right, containing the tables of data relevant to the local context, but for privileged users use these discrete databases logically in the form a single large database, transparent to the user that he / she is actually getting the data from different databases. You may visit #-Link-Snipped-# for a more elaborate description of DDBMS.

However the Shared Everything architecture consists of multiple (not databases) instances running on multiple different servers mount a common database from "shared disk subsystem". Shared Disk Clustered Database Architecture run on hardware clusters that give every participating server equal access to all disks. However, memory is not shared. Each machine runs an "instance" of database which is technically defined as combination of shared memory and database processes, which is prime mechanism to support the data maneuvering by the users. Oracle's Real Application (RAC) technology, introduced in Oracle 9i in 2004 was the first commercially successful implementation of clustering with "cache fusion". Since the explanation is long, please read further description from PDF and post your doubts here which may then be easy for me to offer point wise explanation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Complete the sequence​56, 90, 132, 184, 218, __​(a) 368 (b) 316 (c) 362 (d) 326​ I tried a lot but couldn't get around solving this question.Can somebody please help me...?​
Crazy Computer Science engineers may be delighted to know that the original source code of Prince of Persia game is now available on the GitHUB. Check it out: https://github.com/jmechner/Prince-of-Persia-Apple-II/blob/master/README.mkd ....
Android firmware typically follows a 5 month development cycle when a new release is pushed to the audience. Do you think Google is justified in following it. Or would you...
how can i control 6 stepper motors and their speed in all directions only by one pic and i need their code by micro c pleeeez? if any one have...
Google Chrome experiment is playing hide and seek with the visitors. The game was launched, rolled back, launched again, rolled back and now launched finally. Check it out here: https://www.playmapscube.com/...