Must read for linux neophytes!

This thread is meant for Linux novices who are not comfortable using linux, on the request of a user.
The power of customization is the most important trait of linux that separates it from other OS. You can customize anything to any limit in Linux depending on how deep the rabbit hole you want to go. Infact you can create your own linux distro.
Linux gives a sense of freedom, thats the reason why you choose to install linux. Once you installed linux, you want to get started, but most of the users get dejected upon seeing the terminal, though some linux distros give you friendliness at par to Windows like ubuntu, linux Mint etc. Remember you have installed linux to gain freedom, this means you have to exert some pressure on your brain to break free form montonous life of Windows.
If you are completely new to linux, you should start with Ubuntu or Mint.
Below is the list of Linux distros with decreasing level of user-friendliness & increasing difficulties of usability & configuration. So if you intending to learn & master linux you should switch from top to bottom successively.
[The list is entirely based on my experience, might be different for others]
Ubuntu, Kubuntu
Linux Mint, knoppix
Mandriva, Suse, Fedora
Redhat
Slackware

Knoppix & Mint have great sense of graphics & presentation, unless you have a good graphics card & enough ram. Though you can disable these features in the OS, if you don't have adequate hardwares.
After installing Linux you might have come across two words - KDE & GNU. These are just working environment. KDE looks more attractive but everything else remains same.
Now coming to the terminal which is the the medium to get inside linux. Almost all commands works in every linux distros, if a command don't work in a particular distro, then you have to either download its pakage (software) or it might be present on the installation cd itself.
In RedHat, Fedora softwares are know as rpms with *.rpm extension. In case debian & ubuntu, it's *.deb. Neophytes should directly install software from 'Ubuntu software centre' in case of ubuntu. Ubuntu Sofware Center might be known by different names in different versions.
Start with some basic commands like -
cal - displays calender.
ls - lists all files in a directory
cd - changing directory
mv - move file
cp - copy file
ifconfig - displays all ips assigned to your machine
grep - searching a file
find - searching a file
ps - lists all processes
top - lists all processes
man - lists manual pages pertaining to a particular command
info - info about a particular command
help - help about a particular command
w - who are logged in the system
who - who are logged in the system
whois - who are logged in the system
ping - pinging an ip.
more - displays content of a file
cat - displays content of a file
passwd - to change password
adduser - to add user
su - to login as different user
sudo - to login as different user
vi - to edit a file.
gedit - open a file in gedit for editing in gnu
kwrite - open a file in gedit for editing in kde
init 6 - restart
init 0 - shutdown
halt - shutdown

Some of these commands may require administrator (root) privilege.
All these commands have switches/options/variable which are explained in the most vivid way in man pages. To view man pages pertaining to command, execute command - man .
This link provides an exhustive list of commands.
#-Link-Snipped-#

Next, you should know how to configure configuration/system files in order to alter the presentation/usability as per your mood. Every service can be customized using configuration files associated to it.
Eg. users managed by /etc/passwd,
users password managed by /etc/shadow,
grub.conf for configuring grub,
ftp managed by /etc/vsftpd/vsftpd.conf

Configuration file may be known by different names in different OSs but the content of the file remains almost same.
Before changing any system file, save the old copy first by a different name, so that you can roll back to old settings.
For example, before edting /etc/passwd file, I will execute the command - cp /etc/passwd /etc/passwd.old
NOTE: editing a file may be hazardous enough to crash you system. So be careful while editing very sensitive file like grub.conf which may crash your system.
Do it only when you know what you are doing.
For getting a detailed information about enhancing security of your linux box & an overview of grub.conf read this thread
#-Link-Snipped-#
Once you gain an edge over configuring simple files, you can go for server configurations like http, samba, squid, Kerbros, NIS etc. These configuration are not as tough as they sound, just changing some variable or parameter in the files is needed, also some information is given in the file itself.

Next, you should have an idea of shell programming. Its just like any programming language with limited capabilities. You can create a script to run a particular process at a particular time or logout a user at a particular time etc. You can create more complex scripts also which follow conditions.
Good site for learning shell script
#-Link-Snipped-#

I have already given enough information about how to proceed if you want to be an expert in Linux.
Certification like RHCE & RHCSS do provide you an edge over others in linux in a short period of time but its not 'must have' for gaining expertise in Linux. There's ample of information present in the internet. Please don't resort to spoon feeding as it reduces your efficiency, you need to be inquisitive if you to learn. search the internet you will definitely get the answers.

Some useful links
#-Link-Snipped-#
An A-Z Index of the Linux command line - SS64.com
#-Link-Snipped-#
#-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Thanks vik it's realy a helpful tutorial.
  • bharathpb
    bharathpb
    Thnks for the basic information regarding Linux.

I need some info reg Linux...

1. Can Linux and Solaris be considered as the same platform..Whats the relation between these two.

2. Have Also heard that Linux systems are not prone or affected by virus..?Why so?Whats the logic behind that
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    bharathpb
    2. Have Also heard that Linux systems are not prone or affected by virus..?Why so?Whats the logic behind that

This is a misconception. Linux is not immune to viruses, but yeah some of the features make virus attack a difficult proposition. This misconception arises from comparision with Windows. Windows is used by over 90% of home pc users around the world. The percentage of linux users would be in single digits. So it just makes more sense for virus creators to make virus for windows based PCs rather than linux based systems.

you might wanna go through this :

Linux Malware
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    bharathpb
    Thnks for the basic information regarding Linux.

I need some info reg Linux...

1. Can Linux and Solaris be considered as the same platform..Whats the relation between these two.

Solaris is based on Unix but linux is not based on Unix. Linux kernel was developed independently by Linus Trovolds whereas Solaris is a product of Sun.
    Virus attacks are possible in linux too, just Linux users are fewer in comparison to Windows & Windows viruses don't work in Linux.
  • Leo
    Leo
    Thanks Viki
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    my pleasure!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi

Please tell me how i can get answer from my question
hai guys... iam using fedora on my laptop parllely with windows7 and iam not able to see the wireless connection's some of my frns told me to switch over from...
SpaceSniffer File Size: 864 It provides you with a very good overview of what's occupying the nether reaches of your hard disk. Click To Download
I am presently pursuing my B.E.Electrical and electronics engineering . I plan to do a M.S in Electronics after my Under graduation. The problem is that I am not sure...
hi...................😀 please could anyone suggest me an idea for paper on cryptography ......