Multiple Mac OSx Versions on Same Mac - Snow Leopard & Lion

I'm wondering if it is possible to install different MAC OS versions (for example, having Snow Leopard and Lion OS X) on the same computer, as you usually do with different versions of Windows just making some partitions.

Is it possible? If yes, how?
I have to make sure that there will be no data loss.

Replies

• Reya
    Reya
    yes you can install both versions of Mac OSX.Make sure to take backup of your existing version which has been istalled.

Installation guide: How to Install & Dual Boot Mac OS X 10.7 Lion and 10.6 Snow Leopard | OSXDaily
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think it's quite possible by creating virtual machines. Never tried it though.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Cool. I will give it a try. 👍
  • KenJackson
    KenJackson
    But the real question is whether you can install and run any version of
    OSX in a virtual machine that's hosted by non-Apple hardware.

Apple's answer is (paraphrasing): ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Even if you pay full price for OSX from a licensed Apple dealer, Apple thinks
    they get to decide what you can do with it. Some of us think it's unethical
    for the seller to dictate to the buyer, so I'm all in favor of any innovation
    that enables running it in KVM or VirtualBox on a Linux PC. And I've read
    that it's been done, but I haven't gotten around to it myself.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    KenJackson
    But the real question is whether you can install and run any version of
    OSX in a virtual machine that's hosted by non-Apple hardware.

Apple's answer is (paraphrasing): ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Even if you pay full price for OSX from a licensed Apple dealer, Apple thinks
    they get to decide what you can do with it. Some of us think it's unethical
    for the seller to dictate to the buyer, so I'm all in favor of any innovation
    that enables running it in KVM or VirtualBox on a Linux PC. And I've read
    that it's been done, but I haven't gotten around to it myself.
    Well, I've no clue how to partition a mac; and have no intention to partition my new 27". Lion just works very well. What I know for sure is that a Mac can run Windows 7 but not 100% sure about Lion & Leopard running on two partitions.

Never read Apple's OSX License; but I've a solid reason to believe what you're saying. Does the license prevent us from creating a virtual OS on a Mac hardware and then install another version of OSX, say Leopard? They should have no problems with that.
  • Suresh Manickam
    Suresh Manickam
    No, its not possible.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Suresh Manickam
    No, its not possible.
    Why not? We'd like to know.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I searched the web and found that it's a common issue with many Mac users. You are working and just like that it stops working. It does not click by...
The reason why CEans don't see useless spam threads is because moderators work day and night to kill spam! Here's how moderators work on a forum - 😀 Moderators rock!
Orien'11 is a National Level Technical Symposium organized by the Departments of CSE and IT , which engender the meaning The Rising Sun. It exemplify the rising thoughts with innovation...
Hello CEans! I m anamika,an electrical engineering final year student. My hobbies are singing and solving puzzles. I m a net savvy person. My aim is to be succeed and...
This is one of the Awesome interviews we had. This interview is taken in ONLINE(in chat). He answered all our questions in INSTANT😀 CEan - Punch_A_Tantra actually named Ambarish Ganeshcurrently...