MS Office For Linux - The Best Meets The Best Next Year

One of the reasons I could not make Linux as my primary choice of operating system is the unavailability of the best productivity software in the market - Microsoft Office. However, ExtremeTech reports that MS's engineers are gearing up to launch a Linux version of the MS Office in 2014. Now that news must be the sweetest sound of music to the Linux aficionados.

Microsoft is already working on releasing an Android version of the MS Office productivity suite; and Android has Linux at its core. This means that Microsoft already knows how to port their software to Linux operating system.

The big question - how many Linux users, who are already accustomed to the Open / Libre Office on Linux will purchase the Office For Linux? The trend seems to be shifting from Desktop based operating systems to mobile apps and somewhat to the cloud based solutions.

Microsoft already has Office 365 in the offering which makes the Office productivity software available across major platforms on monthly subscription model.

But that said, MS Office For Linux would still be 'cool'. What do you think will be the price of the software?

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Office is only reason companies uses windows platform.
    I am sure they will not give all the features to linux version otherwise why should any company use windows.
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Its an awesome idea. Frankly I dont like LibreOffice and since the day I moved to ubuntu, I am missing MS Office. Hopefully its true (not just a rumor!).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I see most of the startups these days, especially in the web/app space offer some tiny enhancement problem or offer a value-addition. But why don't we see startups that solve...
Just curious to know whether PS3 games will run on PS4. Sony's latest gaming station is scheduled to be unveiled on February 20th. I'd hate to have two consoles to...
Here is a good news for seekers of new inventions in the field of Robotics and Automation. A great event Robomania 2013 is going to be held on 22nd and...
Just today i saw in the home page of CE, that the largest prime number is 17 million digits strong.(or so i read). But until today the largest prime number...
I have heard that an aircraft engines runs on white petrol, but i didn't got the reason that why we don't design an aircraft engine that runs on diesel or...